2017 berry harvest reports

heard from my cousin in missouri that crimson night and caroline do well in her z6a. I’m sure there are others as well.

OK, if it does well I will. You asked for a cuttting off my Hinnomaki Red, but it didn’t make it. It was a scrawny little twig with hardly any roots to begin with, and never really got going. It and a Poorman came from Indiana Berry, and it was similar, but it did a little better. We’ll see how it makes it thru the winter.

I liked the raspberry plants I got from them, nice big roots, but these GB were a disappointment.

My wife got a Oregon Champion GB from a Tractor Supply store, and it has done very well. It was the only berry plant we got from TS that lived.

Edit: I was just on IB’s site and noticed they have Archer strawberry. Isn’t that the variety you were geeked about getting? Right now, all of their plants show “Sold out”, but I imagine it’s because they’re not taking orders yet. They have other berry plants on their site that were not there last year.

Are you irrigating those evies? I planted Mara this spring, they grew like gangbusters throwing lots of runners, but come late July and August they were fried by our hot humid PA summers. I couldn’t get around to watering due to a knee issue. Next year, I plan to install a gravity flow drip irrigation system for all of my berries.

i did towards the end of summer then we started getting consistent rain in late aug on so i didn’t have to. was a mild summer with only a handful of days hitting 80.

1 Like

Yes the jury is still out, only a few the first year. Too bad about the gooseberries not being impressive. I really only want to add Vermont, although trades always work for me of something I don’t have. Reminds me I need to harvest some cuttings of my black currants for a member here.

We grew Dorman Red Raspberries a long time ago. I do not believe they were everberring. The variety we grew was a cross between some type of raspberry and a dewberry. The canes were very trailing just like a dewberry and produced a lot of fruit. The fruit was red but did not taste anything like a real raspberry - more like a pineapple.

The picture in the article is definitely not Dorman Red

2 Likes

Wow, they sound interesting, I hate trailing but the best berries seem to come from trailing plants.

Dorman Red may merit consideration in the deep south where no other Raspberry will grow, but we did not like the taste at all

2 Likes

Man the ink isn’t dry on my want list, and I have to remove it! Thanks for the further thoughts.

University of Arkansas described the fruit as “fair quality”.

We thought the quality of the fruit was fine. The taste was the problem!

‘Dormanred’ (recommended for Central and
Southern Arkansas) – Developed in Mississippi,
‘Dormanred’ produces high yields of fair quality fruit.
This variety differs from other red raspberries in that
it has weak vine-like growth and requires trellising
similar to trailing blackberries. It has some
blackberry fruit characteristics.

We often have 95 degrees in summer and quite dry. All raspberries did well for me. They are Polka, Josefine, Fall gold and some unknown semi-wild Montana variety. I also had Tulameen raspberry, which was not hardy enough for me.
All raspberries are planted in a row on the north side of the garage. Summer berries do not taste as good as fall ones, but they give their crop before japaneese beetles arive. Fall crop is the most prolific and the best tasting.

1 Like

That’s funny as just the opposite here. proves all gardening is local.

@Drew51, I meant to tell you a funny story about our Oregon Champion gooseberry. I have all 3 of our plants on the side of the driveway down by the old house. Normally they’re safe there as no one pulls in there.

Until a month ago. I normally have the truck parked there, but had been moved as I was working on it. My wife had a couple of her older cousins come visit us, and they brought their 4 wheelers with them on trailers. They didnt know about the fruit plants I have down there and one of them backed over my OC GB! Arrgh! It has four canes that are about a foot tall, and two of the canes were broke. I had to put markers around my other GB and rasps as I was worried about them running over those with the 4 wheelers. They didn’t know the plants were there, so I wasn’t too mad at them. They apologized, and that was fine with me.

But, after they left, I took a look at the plant, and dug out the soil around the base of the plant, and saw that there was still some stalk attached to the root. So, I took some twine and pulled the canes together. Kinda like a splint. Then I packed some dirt around the base and hoped that it would make it. I think it will be OK, because there were some leaves on the broken canes before, and they didn’t wither and fall off afterwards. I guess we’ll see next year if my surgery was a success.

2 Likes

That post tells the story of why we garden. Something can be learned from everything, good or bad. And it’s just fun. I think it worked!

2 Likes

gooseberries are tough like currants. my father planted pixie gooseberries in the woodline near his garden 30yrs. ago. he forgot about them. ran them over, threw brush on them. last spring i was in there and the patch spread out to 20ft. of gooseberry plants.! yours will be fine.

2 Likes

@jxz7245, I just saw your deleted post about Indiana Berry, and they’re now taking orders. They must have just started that today or yesterday, as I have their site open on one of my browser tabs.

They sure charge a lot for 25 strawberries, but at 50, 75, 100, etc. the prices go down a bit per 25. Some new strawberry varieties they’re selling are Archer, Red Chief in June bearers and Redstart and Wasatch everbearers.

Looks like they have some new rasps and blackberries in this year’s catalog as well.

Time to load up that cart!

I just deleted my post because I saw that someone else already announced the same thing :slight_smile:

That’s cool. I didn’t know about it until I saw yer deleted post!

Are you planning to order anything from them this year?

I bought 50 Archer hoping it’s everything it’s cracked up to be. I bought everything else from Nourse :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have some Blackberries in pots and the ground at work.One is either Navajo or Apache and the other is Heaven Can Wait,which is very good flavored.
There is also a thornless Loganberry,that is Raspberry like and is okay,not great. Brady

1 Like