2017 Grafting Thread

This was @chartman 's idea. He started a 2016 Grafting thread last year and it turned into a wonderful thread filled with photos, tips, and discussions of last year’s grafting season. Its still a tiny bit early here but some of you have started. I look forward to watching and learning as everyone starts breaking open those refrigerated bags and head into the orchard. A cardboard cookie goes to the first person to post a photo of a graft they have done THIS YEAR!

BTW…remembered the need for this thread because I’ve been searching grafting threads for a post I can’t find…maybe someone can help. I remember seeing- more than once- a suggestion that if you can’t dip you whole scion in wax and/or don’t wrap the entire graft and scion with parafilm, that one alternative is to spray it with some kind of coating to help prevent it from drying out. That makes some sense to me and while it may not be as good as a full wax coating or parafilm wrap, I would think it would be a lot better than nothing to prevent excessive drying. BUT I CANNOT FIND WHAT THE SPRAY IS!

I know there are some spray-on glues, so that could be what I’ve seen people talk about? Or perhaps its just the Scotch-Guard protectant that can be used to seal/protect carpet and other fabrics? I cannot imagine using any type of spray-on polyurethane “protectant” would be healthy for tender scion wood so I doubt it is that, but I could be wrong.; Any suggestions? Thank-you.

5 Likes

I used four types of sealants to graft with this year but it is a little early to decide very much about what the results will be. Parafilm, wax from candles, toilet wax, and a mixture of toilet wax and candles.

Let’s start off with batting 1000…!! Yes that’s my 2017 results on a 6 scion bark graft and about 20 splice grafts. Never could have done it without the great advice given here…!!

Can I get milk with that cookie???

24 Likes

I’m waiting for someone to try plasti-dip as a scion coating!

3 Likes

Great idea for a thread.

I’ve been doing a lot of grafting this year. Much top work on plums with bark grafts, cleft grafts, side grafts and the occasional wedge graft. In my haste it appears that I may have even managed to make a successful upside down graft of a rare and treasured scion.

I have always chuckled when I heard of people accidentally graft upside down. I am obliged to confess that I now have the dubious distinction of becoming a member of that most exclusive club:

15 Likes

Too much snow under my trees to think about grafting yet! I have taken some hardwood cuttings and scion wood tho!

I just read about somebody recommending it in an Australian forum. Brady

1 Like

So, is it ok to dip a whole scion in hot wax? No damage to the buds? I’ve been wanting to try this but I can’t get past the idea that the hot wax might damage the buds. Is there anything special you have to do, or is it as simple as it sounds?

Looks like @Barkslip has it down to a science. Bench Grafting - Deciduous Material - Hot Callous Bench 'Style'

Yep, I’ve been doing it for years. 160 F is a great coating. I like .25 oz beeswax to 1 oz paraffin wax in a gallon of water. It’s a great mix for outdoors. You can use it for indoor/greenhouse as well.

You’ll see if you stick you finger in 160 f wax it doesn’t hurt at all. Now if you leave your finger in there for too long it does hurt, lol.

Dax

2 Likes

Cambium Cross Cleft Graft

There is nothing wrong with a standard cleft graft which will most likely heal faster than what I did. I also did somewhat the same type cambium cross on some side grafts. Although they both appear to work the standard cleft is most likely superior. Nothing new here other than giving it a try and posting the picture.

4 Likes

Apricots, A. Plums, pears, apples and cherries are grafted mostly, although I have no pictures yet. Some A. Plums started to push buds.
Crazy peach grafting.

Also Geraldi dwarf mulberries grafted on alba rootstock.

6 Likes

I did my first graft of 2017 tonight. This is one of my GoldRush scions. It is on G.969 roots with last year’s graft of Kidd’s Orange Red as an interstem.

The tree was in the garage for the winter and is starting to show growth. So I figured I’d graft it over and let it heal in the garage at 55F or so.

2 Likes

So far it looks like I have 51 takes out of 75 using Lovell rootstock. Most of the ones that haven’t took yet (or failed) were peach & nectarine.
Uploading… Uploading…

9 Likes

An orchard in pots!

2 Likes

Amazing! You guys amaze me. :slight_smile: Maybe next year I will dive in…

I have suckers from New Root/Z-dwarf…could I use those to graft to? I am not sure if i can freely do that or if I am breaking some law?

Nice work!

1 Like

My Frankenstein tree. I decided to butcher this Bruce plum tree and see how many grafts I could do on it.
As of now I have 19 grafts that took and waiting on a few more . The ones that took are:

Sprite
Delight
Emerald drop
Crimson Royale
Nadiasplash
Mariposa plum
Flavor supreme
OrangeRed apricot
Dapple Jack
Satsuma plum
Flavor blast
Flavor treat
Emerald Beaut
Flavor grenade
Dapple dandy
Fall fiesta
Cot n candy
Dapple supreme
Flavor King

13 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

One tall cool glass of milk and a cardboard cookie for you! ha. Seriously, those all look AWESOME! You know what I liked the most? The rope you used on some of those tops. I did the same thing a couple years ago and most people acted like I was from Mars! haha. It certainly wasn’t my idea- I got it from a you tube video/ I really thought it helped hold things in place until they bonded.
I also like your rubebr-band (ish) grafting wrap. I need to get some of that. Does it come as one really long piece that you cut to size or does it come in smaller, ready to use sizes? Thanks

1 Like