2017 Grafting Thread

Just curious- do you grow your crimson passion as a bush or tree? I ask because mine are bushes, and even at this young age (they are only 2 years old), it would seem almost useless to graft it because there are so many different limbs on it that would have to be grafted. If you graft yours, would you try to graft over all those or do you have a “trunk” that could be cut and grafted?

How old is your CP? Has it never performed well? Thanks

Chip-buds in summer will take on sweet cherries and I imagine would work on sours too.

But you have to place them in a dominant position and cut away competing branches. Give it full apical dominance and cut away anything above it.

Wrap them tight. Leave the wrap on until late winter then peel off carefully. Cuticle scissors help.

1 Like

Zard lives!

Multi-budded on Hargrand/ Manchurian.

My fall-planted Moniqui on Citation leafed out nice, but is now wilting and dying. I don’t know why, but apricots on Citation are guaranteed death for me. 3 out of 3 are dead. I hope Manchurian does the trick.

Asian plums on Citation are fine here.

4 Likes

A take! A Fuji sprout pushing thru the parafilm! 6 weeks after grafting to the Enterprise!

13 Likes

WE were all really pulling for you. Seemed like you struggled a bit, so I’m glad you got one. Its all down hill from here!

1 Like

Fuji! A nice one to get! You deserve it. See? Dreams can come true.

1 Like

Yay! I am so glad one came through for you. And you never know, you may get a few others, too!

Recently had some scion wood sent over to me from Europe. Pixie Crunch, Kanki and Gold Rush. Grafted it all the minute it showed up, but some of the wood was kind of thin. I’m betting the time in transit caused it to dry out…I’m a little disappointed now that it looks like only a few of the grafts might take.

I think I may have dud persimmon grafts this year. I didn’t pay attention to the weather and there was a prolonged stretch of cool weather after I did the grafts. I have also had them fail in too-hot weather.

1 Like

Scott,

For persimmon graft, how long we need to wait before we realize that the grafts fail? I’ve kept hoping :grinning:

I grafted them two weeks ago right before the cold and raining stretch hit us.

It sounds like we grafted at the same time more or less. I only realized how long and cool that stretch was going to be after I did all the grafts. Other than that the timing was great and I was not worried at all when doing the grafts. So I was far too sloppy and wasted scionwood, I hope I still have some left.

I’m going to wait a couple more weeks given that the wood was not getting too hot. But I am going to add more grafts once this current heat wave is over - more bark grafts to the same stumps.

It does seem possible. Also clear that parafilm wrapping is better than black stuff or wax. I wrapped the scions that weren’t obviously dead/shriveled/broken

Sure took a long time!

Since my tree, a Nikita’s Gift, is small and does not have many branches. If these 2-3 grafts do not work, I feel that I’ve wasted not the scionwood but the perfectly good branches of NG.

If I failed again this year on persimmon grafting, I’ll leave NG alone next year.

I have a donated persimmon seedling that I will put in ground soon. That will be my guinea pig of grafting next year.

When I grafted, I knew the long cold stretch was coming. I just decided to do it because the leaves were about 1/2" so I thought it’s a very good sap flow time. Last year I waited until the leaves were more advanced than this year’ but failed 2/3 grafts.

Through this wacky weather, it seems all of my mulberry grafts are dead or dying… except one.

Here is Geraldi on a wild volunteer in my backyard. Photo taken today:

3 Likes

My very first persimmon grafts were attached about 4 weeks ago (3). The bud popped out on one for about a week and declined. The other two were showing no signs of life until now and the buds are enlarging. Hoping at least one will survive but I guess they are more difficult to graft than other fruit.

1 Like

Last year, the buds on my grafts started to swell giving me false hope :unamused:

2 out of 3 did not survive. The one that survived has one bud this year. Not sure if it will grow out or suffer a slow death.

I grafted 3 more a couple of weeks ago but am not that hopeful, either. Grafting persimmon is sure not a walk in a park ( to me).

1 Like

I haven’t done any persimmon yet- I’m waiting for the 85-90F days to pass and will graft on Saturday at the start of 7 days in a row in the 65-72F range. Hopefully that will be in the Goldilocks zone…

3 Likes

My mulberry grafts have met with mixed success as well, but a lot of that was poor scion quality. For whatever reason, the guy they came from cut off the buds. Still, they were free, and it looks like I got a take on the tiniest little side-bud from an Illinois Everbearing, so that’s still a win.

One of my others just started showing signs of life today, so I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.

Kolomikta kiwi grafts appear to have taken…

1 Like

Of the 20 persimmons I have done, I would say 3 are starting to show signs of taking. This has been over a three week period.