2017 Grafting Thread

Way too early to tell if it will take, but here’s a persimmon I grafted two weeks ago. Looks like it’s starting to push growth.

With persimmon, my experience tells me to wait. Last year, all my 3 grafts pushed a little growth. What a tease!!!
Then, two dried out. Only one grew and has survived.

1 Like

All true. I’ve had that same success-wait-failure experience with persimmons too. Just wishful thinking over here. This is one I’m really hoping makes it so I figured I’d share.

Happy to report that one my gold rush grafts took on the Gala and a kanki graft is looking good on my Big River…

2 Likes

This is a recent post with many apples and pears fruiting. Bill

1 Like

Auburn your tree looks/sounds awesome!

The growth I took the picture of yesterday is gone today :pensive:
I think somebody chewed it off. Hopefully it will push more growth.

1 Like

Frostbite is an apple I think needs trial out this way. Let us know what you think of it, OK?

I’ve waited years to try it (grafts failed to take 2 years in a row). I cannot wait any longer, which is why I’m gonna let this new graft keep at least one of the apples it’s set.

I’m starting to think that mulberries “trees” are too much space commitment for my yard. So I’m starting “bushes” from wild rootstocks, grafting them low to multiple varieties and planting them at rentals. Here’s the first one, which I grafted pretty early. It looks like I could end up 7 for 7 on it (2 of each variety, other than IE).

In case you are one of the people who sent me interesting mulberry wood this spring and are wondering why I didn’t use it here…It’s because I want to keep a bit of each kind in easy reach at my house. So I grafted the new stuff there. I only grafted things here which are no great loss if they die for whatever reason.

Along those lines, no nurse branch was used. I want to completely erase the stock and it’s not the end of the world if I screw up and kill the thing.

6 Likes

@UnderDawgAl just wanted to comment that I grafted KY LT to B118 last spring, it grew a total of 27 inches by the middle of August.

4 Likes

So much for my theory!

1 Like

AWESOME!!

Thought I’d jump to the end of this thread and there are your neatly put together block of potted apple grafts. Just awesome, man.

Dax

2 of my 3 persimmon on Diospyros lotus grafting attempts around March 10th.

The failed one was grafted on a seedling that was too thin, less than 4 mm.

This one is a cleft graft on a root-less sucker transplanted last october, the scion bud broke a month ago, but is still stalling.

This one is a W&T graft on a second year seedling, it seems a success :smile:

8 Likes

A couple plum grafts look to be doing well so far.

My Goldrush scion is growing like gangbusters. It is already a feathered whip. I removed the tape today and staked it since it is growing so vigorously.

6 Likes

Mulberry grafts mostly done on March 8th. Whip & Tongue.

6 Likes

Apricot on apricot seedling and the union detail.

another apricot on apricot grown tree

apricot on peach :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A celeste fig branch on a brown turkey rootstock. There is a chopstick tied by masking tape as a support.

3 Likes

I would like to know what you think of it. I grafted 4 Frostbite this spring, I think I have 2 takes so far.

I’m learning new things about grafting pears all the time. Some pears graft much easier than others and some rootstocks work much better than others. My standout grafts for the year would be Charles Harris for it’s vigorous growth and ease of grafting and several Canadian pears for their ease of grafting and possible interstem properties. Tried many experimental grafts this year mostly with interstems and very difficult to grow fruit such as Comice, forelle, abate fetel and many other notoriously difficult to grow pears. Most information about pears is not out there so who could know Ayer is not the easiest pear to graft? I think I got about 50% takes on callery which is surprising since the same gentleman developed Douglas which is very easy to graft. It could be the problem was I was using all fruit bud wood which is never good. The scions that are covered with fruit buds typically use energy to bloom which is a waste and a problem.

You knocked it out of the park. I’m regrafting pecans. I don’t know what’s going on but John Brittain at Nolin River Nursery told me to use a 2-3" piece of scionwood with two buds on it. I did. Those grafts all went into peat moss that was slightly dampness I would prepare for any medium. Two entire tubs of grafts had all failures. The tub prior with scions containing 2-3 bud “sections” and in pro-mix did great. Now something is screwy here. I used my grafting tool on all three tubs. It has to be the short scions. John works in the field and doesn’t bench graft. There has to be a difference. So now I’m back to regrafting anything that might go. I’m going three or four flap grafts on pencil thickness to 1/2" or slightly larger. It’s kind of slow but it’s so late, other than bark grafts, 3-4 flaps are about the only thing that may take. We’ll see. This has been a crazy year.

Dax