2017 jujube crop

I had to use posts to support my Chico, Li, & Shanxi Li, or the weight of the fruit would have broken the limbs. Chico is quite a bit larger than Honeyjar. Tree in 1st picture is the Chico. In the 2nd picture, fruit left to right is Sherwood, Honeyjar, Chico

12 Likes

Very nice crops.

Tony

Bob I’m gonna reach out this winter sometime about these Jujube’s if that’s ok. I want to add some to my Urban Farm. Would love to pick your brain a bit. Great looking fruit and trees!

1 Like

Are those recent pictures? The trees look loaded, while my harvest is almost over. After the half dozen I picked today, I counted 2 more So and 1 Shanxi Li on the tree.

4 Likes

Tree pic is a month old. The 3 jujubees I picked yesterday. Honey jar was from the 2nd crop, Chico is almost done, Sherwood ripening now.

1 Like

Bob V.

Your Shanxi Li is elongated and not a huge large rounder Shanxi Li?

Tony

1 Like

Bob,
I have the same question as @tonyOmahaz5. Although we talked about growing conditon influencing the shape of the fruit, you and I are not too far apart. My Shanxi li fruit look like Tony’s.

By the way, they taste much better this year. Not as foamy or dry. I can say that if they continue to be this size and taste like this, it is a keeper to me.

Below are my Sucar Cane (left) and Shanxi li ( right)
I finished Honey Jar last week . They were good but small. Jsu tasted Sugar cane today. It tasted better than Honey Jar and a bit meatier, too.

3 Likes

That’s a nice long season you get. And your trees look very precisely maintained!

Yes, it’s been a continuing question for me- do I have a mis-ID, or is it something about my conditions that makes Shanxi Li do that? I’m leaning toward conditions, since Shanxi from 2 different sources (scionwood from Bob Hawkins and a tree from ToA) are showing the same fruit. Just to be sure though, I’m adding Shanxi Li from Burnt Ridge (didn’t leaf out this past spring, so they are re-sending next spring) and Bay Laurel (LE Cooke) next spring.

Does your tree have dawn to dusk sun? My graft gets a lot of sun, but has a bit of shade in the early morning and late afternoon (mid-way up on the South side of the tree). The ToA tree that gave me one fruit in its planting year last year didn’t fruit this year. In fact, none of the ToA trees did. They all sized up a bit, so at least they made some progress. I think it was too much rain and clouds in early summer.

I think yours look somewhat between our two, though more like Tony’s than mine. I think I’ve seen pics of Shanxi Li which are even wider. Kind of like the largest one, near the top of the following pic.

My wife got some jujube from Chinatown yesterday. It looks like a mix of at least 3 different kinds:
1.) The big ones (like the one at the top)
2.) The small ones
3.) The good ones (in between size and somewhat elongated with a bit of a point). My thumb is pointing at two of them on the left of the pic.

#1 and #2 are a mix of firm (not crisp) and spongy and not all that sweet- 10-15 brix, when I was able to get enough juice for a measurement. #3 doesn’t have great texture either, but the sweetness is off the scale. Literally- it maxed out my refractometer, which goes up to 32 brix.

2 Likes

Bob,
My jujube trees get sun from 9 am to the end of the day (8 pm in the sumner). They have the best location in my yard.

My trees are young, only 2 nd year. This year Shanxi li has produced only 4 fruit, all are noticably larger than HJ and SC.

I don’t know how you got juice from jujube. I tried squeezing them for brix measurement. No juice, the flesh crushed in my hand/fingers.

1 Like

It can be difficult and I feel a bit like a human cider press (maybe working with a Ben Davis apple…). I normally cut a wedge and then subdivide it into pieces, squeezing each sequentially onto the plate until there is enough for a reading (wiping fingers on the plate too, to get any juice off). Sometimes it works to just take the whole wedge and smush it against the plate, leaving the whole smear there.

Maybe that helps explain the difference for the graft. My ToA trees are planted in a location similar to yours, but it’s possible that they were affected last year due to their recent planting. If it has a crop next year that should tell me a lot, now that it has settled in.

1 Like

Are they grown for fodder?

Scape I’d be honored. Sorry I didn’t make it down for the state fair, I was in Europe during a lot of that

2 Likes

Ornamental.

1 Like

Thank you.

JF&E potted Honey Jar is here.

5 Likes

Nice healthy looking tree Matt.

Tony

1 Like

Have a half dozen GA866’s this year. Taste pretty good. The GA866 & Sherwood (12 fruit) are the shy bearers my 2nd year at my new house; other varieties were all heavy producers.

3 Likes

A friend gave these jujubes to me. His brother brought them from California when he visited my friend.

My friend knows I like jujubes so he gave me some. He does not know the variety.

Can you tellwhat it is?

2 Likes

maybe Sherwood?

Not Li, Lang, Tigertooth, Honejar, GA866, Shanxi Li, Contorted, or Autumn Beauty…possibly Sugarcane, but probably not

I know Roger Meyer in CA grew Li for an early crop, Sherwood for a late…did you just get these?

No I cant tell! Don’t bet any money on my guesses…

3 Likes

Bob,
Before you responded, I happened to see a pic og Sherwood and thought it looked like the ones I have.

Yes, I just got them today. The guy just flew in a few days ago.

I grow Sugar Cane, i don’t think it’s SC.

Thaks for guessing. Your guess is well educated.