2017 - The best selection of pears in years!

Kieffer style pears are to early for moon glow. @Auburn I would like to see you try Douglas sometime I think you might like them. Douglas is my earliest bloomer but it does not ripen the earliest.

2 Likes

I also have Tenn that I think would overlap Moonglow but can’t verify yet.

2 Likes

If anyone needs Leona scions next year remind me its reportedly very good in the south. It’s a hard pear to find.

2 Likes

I’ve looked at two resources I have and neither list Charles Harris. I see you grafted it in 2017 but that’s all Google offers as of now.

I’m sure the folks here will help sort this out. For me it’s Charles Harris or Katie going with Harrow Sweet and eventually getting another to add as info. continues arriving.

Dax

2 Likes

I started out with a deliberate attempt to match bloom times and I think it has mostly taken care of pollination issues. Cold weather is now my biggest problem during bloom time. I just grafted in as many FB resistant varieties that I could get and a few more that I was unsure of. As of now Harrow sweet and Korean Giant has handled our FB prone area well. Harrow Sweet is a wonderful tasting pear and I hope it continues to do well at my place.

5 Likes

I’m thinking Katie may be okay with Harrow Sweet. I’d like to hear though from Marcus and anyone else though, first.

Dax

4 Likes

If I have any scions you want that @Barkslip doesn’t let me know.

2 Likes

I wonder if Asian pears: Shinseiki, Nijisseiki, or Kosui would grow well for her? I remember up above Marcus and Clark speaking of Korean Giant as good ones for Marcus’ area and for the deep south. Not sure though any of the three I listed were mentioned though.

Dax

3 Likes

Just guessing but I think they would be FB prone.

2 Likes

Appreciate that, Bill.

Dax

2 Likes

I was just reading about Douglas pear at Grandpas Orchard. They list it as being FB resistant, precocious, and grows well into zone 8. Sounds like an excellent pear for the south.

3 Likes

If you need scions let me know Bill. It’s an early bloomer originating from nearby Douglas county Kansas. They are a dripping juicy pear better than most of those types of hybrid pears Douglas Pear. The skin is like leather here but it’s very delicious. Like Charles Harris, Leona, Plumblee, & Tenn it’s not widely grown.

1 Like

Thanks. If I have any scions you want just let me know.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind offer Bill.

1 Like

@Katie_didnt_Z4b

You might look at Parker although it’s fire blight susceptible. It’s very cold hardy supposedly to -50F. We got a few pears this year from a young tree. It’s an early pear, but keeps well in cold storage. We wait to harvest them until they are falling off the tree (Aug 30 this year). After some time in the fridge, we can pull them out and eat them crisp and sweet.

5 Likes

Simply quarter and core them and throw them in with a pot roast or in a stew. I treat them like they are potatoes or turnip roots.

Given your climate, I would recommend read through Clark Kink’s other threads, and you will have more information than you will know what to do with. Clark is also very good at providing pics of the varieties. I talk about a different range of varieties in my threads on account of my much warmer climate.

1 Like

Not I. For South Georgia I doubt that you will find a variety that’s older than LeConte that’s tolerant of our conditions.

It may just be me but it seems pears are harder than they have been to get this year. Hope everyone is finding what they need

1 Like

Hoskins has been very early Flowering and disease resistant. Highly recommend it if your looking for that type of pear.