2018 Grafting Thread

Has anybody grafted cherry with just flower buds on the scion? My graft started to bloom but I don’t see any vegetative growth.

I just wanted to shout out to everyone that supported my habit and has kept me busy over the last week or so with grafting! Yesterday I finished up most of my grafts as I grafted some pears, peaches, plums/pluots. Pawpaws and Apples earlier this week and soon will finish off with the Persimmons.

I want to thank EVERYONE that sent me wood and answered all my annoying questions… @JesseS @lordkiwi that even send me some rootstock. Maria, Jason, Dave. Drew. Ammo. Scott, Steve, Jolene, Noel, Mark, Vincent, and I know I missed some… @Sophia2017 sent me Lulu and Dripping honey… Thanks!!!

I want to make a special shout to @Hillbillyhort… You KICK A$$… in other words… you rock!!

Thanks so much to all!! YOU ALL ROCK!! I hope I do all your wood justice!

8 Likes

Three of my pear grafts from back in March. These are Ayers, moonglow and orient on my Leconte…all whip and tongue…can’t believe how quickly they took off…

Then I got a bunch of grafting done to my peach seedling…got about 10 different varieties from a generous person…they included, mid-pride, rio oso, spring time, loring, fei cheng tao, silver logan and old mixon…I think peach grafting is my new favorite…

7 Likes

Here is my first mutigrafted tree.
I do a lot of grafting here and have for a long time.
I always thought more than one variety on a tree was a wast of my time ,
As I could make 2 trees instead of one for the same amount of effort.
And I have plenty of room.
But I had a lot of scions left over.and I was going to cut this tree down,it’s a Braburn apple tree, it does not do good here,.
So I am going to use it as variety back up for now.
Did not do this for production.
Just to store varietys
Lost count of how many in the excitement of it all.
And it might be fun for a while

19 Likes

I bought this home depot Macintosh tree last year on sale when trees got down to 75% off. I used it to practice my bud grafting last summer. I think I had a 100% failure rate on that. Now it is my host for my multi graft tree. 27 grafts in total.

14 Likes

It seems to have taken. But not sure if it will survive based on what I’m hearing.

4 Likes

Orcas pear on ohxf87

2 Likes

Grafts from last year seem to be going gang busters.

Akane, Cherry Cox, Bramley

4 Likes

I had bad luck grafting persimmons last year. Zero for eight. Lesson learned. This year I was more careful. Wrapped entire scions with parafilm and performed long Z-grafts at rootstock bud break. 100% success. They took a long time to begin growing, about 45 days.

16 Likes

Watch out for suckers below your persimmon graft. You must rub them out immediately or risk your graft dying off. If you graft high you’ll need to rub off almost daily!

2 Likes

My grafts this year are on large trees that have been leafing out for a couple months now. I needed a ladder to reach this one.

You can see the main branch on the right side of the first photo. Are you talking about suckers that appear at the branch crotch directly below the graft? I have been rubbing those off as they form. I’m letting the rest of the tree grow out though.

So I have 2 Anna apples onto which I grafted Golden Dorset (thank you @bobinoc). One of the apples bloomed profusely; the other one right next to it, had maybe 2 blooms on the whole tree. The 3 grafts on the shy bloomer suceeded with only vegetative growth. The 2 grafts I did on the big bloomer looked like this.
IMG_1674-1
Coincidence? I guess I thought that the bloom was determined before dormancy. Maybe there is more to it.

4 Likes

This is my most vigorous graft this year. It has already split the Temflex and parafilm. All that was left was the portion wrapped above the graft. So…I got an early look at my handiwork.

Katy

11 Likes

Looks like it might take, Katy.

;-)M

1 Like

It’s doing well. The both buds have formed branches that are over two feet. It’s grafted fairly high on the rootstock and the whole plant now is chest high on me and I’m pretty tall. It’s an Oscar mulberry and I had dismal results with my mulberries this year but this one is fantastic. I am surprised that the temflex splits. The power of the growth of the graft is surprising.

Katy

3 Likes

I’m talking about all suckers. I won’t tell you what to do…so experiment and have fun. What I would do is be vigilant with sucker removal. I have watched healthy grafts with 2 feet of growth wither and dampen off when a down trunk sucker grew too large ( d. Lotus root). If you’re looking for more grafting attachments on your tree stop rubbing out next year.

1 Like

This is a Pink Lady apple grafted on M111. It already has over 2 ft of new growth. The whip & tongue graft turned out great, probably the nicest I’ve done so far. Max managed to get himself into the pic.

18 Likes

Such a nicely done W&T will likely become completely invisible within a couple of years- I suggest tagging it somehow so you can pat yourself on the back over it in years to come!!

4 Likes

Finally got the nursery bed planted out : 634 trees planted with another 10 rootstocks to plant here as I’m out of room in the stooling bed. Approx 535 apples and 74 pear grafted and an extra 25 rootstocks for budding later this year. Still need to do a detailed variety count. Now I’ll put up the electric fence and mulch the nursery bed, then move on to clearing and chipping the pines, pulling the stumps, and laying out orchard rows with the woodchips from the county road project and the pines. Took me 4 days to plant this out and my legs were killing me from standing and kneeling all day. Lots more to get done this season.

29 Likes

Looks like I’m continuing my streak of complete failure with pawpaw grafts. Maybe I’ll be luckier when my trees actually have some caliper to them.

On the bright side, my pear and apple grafts have gone well.

1 Like