2018 Orangeglo

I read the descriptions and was puzzled that it was identical for both, only the catalogue #’'s were different. I’m afraid they aren’t true OG, but a version that’s somehow modified for the Northeast. I’ve mentioned in other posts that OG seeds are going to become harder and harder to find, since Willhite’s stopped selling it. Mamuang, I’m afraid you weren’t sold true OG, but a substitute. Next time try Seeds for Exchange. They’re still selling true OG.

What about the seeds people bought from Baker Creek?

I don’t trust Baker Creek either. Two years ago I bought a 1 oz.
package of OG from Baker Creek and hardly any of them germinated.
I ended up throwing away the rest of them.

I trust Fedco. Fedco does say it is a 90 day melon. The pic of it looks similar to yours. Last year, I left mine way longer than 90 days. Otherwise, I would have ahad a great tasting OG in the northeast. :grinning:,:face

@rayrose When you say Seeds for Exchange, do you mean this website ?

I wish you luck.

Yes.

The pic of OG at Seedsavers is so off.

Thanks, Ray for suggestion of seedsavers.

Don’t go by pics. Try Southern Exposure. The point I’m trying to make
is that Fedco, by their description alone, is not selling true OG.

Thanks !

Size is highly variable for Orangeglo depending on weather conditions they grow under. I’ve had anything from 10 pound average up to 30 pounds using seed from the same source. Rainfall during early melon expansion seems to have the most effect on final size. How well the melon is pollinated also affects size. A healthy melon with 500 or more seed will almost always grow larger than a similar melon with only 300 seed.

I still have a pack of Willhite Orangeglo seed from 1988 which was the first year I grew them.

1 Like

Are they still viable?

I’ve never been able to germinate watermelon seed more than 22 years old. Viability is extremely low after 12 years. I am growing Wibb watermelon this year from seed I saved in 2006. I started about 100 seed in a tray and wound up with 6 viable plants. I’ve also grown Anne Arundel melon seed that were 11 years old. I am growing a Romanian Melon, a cucumber, a gourd, Gills Golden squash (Pepo), Voynichero Blue squash (Maxima), Wisconsin Cheese squash (Moschata), and Sweet Red (Moschata) squash.

I tried unsuccessfully to start several other squash varieties from extremely old seed a few months ago. Glenn Drowns is attempting to bring several old varieties back from near extinction. We will succeed with a few of them. I store curcurbit seed in my deep freeze which significantly increases the length of time they retain viability.

1 Like

I always try to renew all my vegetable seeds every five years just to be on the safe side.

Tony

While generally a good way to save seed, there are some species that can’t wait that long. Peppers for example rarely germinate after 5 years in storage. Lettuce, onion, and carrots tend not to be viable beyond 3 years.

1 Like

Are you saving the seeds as part of a collection, kind of like old coins
or stamps? I know I have some seeds that I’ve more or less forgotten that
I had, that are well over 10 years old. It kind of helps me keep track of things I’ve grown in the past, and refreshes my memory as to why I stopped growing them.

1 Like

I just have not thrown them away. There are very few seed that I’ve kept from that time so the old Orangeglo seed are to remind me of the memories of the watermelons I grew that year.

1 Like

My first decently ripened Orangeglo. 11 brix. Last year I had one that was over ripe and mushy. I liked this one better. It was very crisp and split in half as soon as the knife hit it. This one was very good and I still have two larger ones ripening.

Edit–> Upon further review, this is probably a Gold Flower.

5 Likes

to me that looks like a PERFECTLY ripe orangeglo! Nice job.

1 Like

You guys just keep eating all that yummy looking OG so I have no choice but to go to find the best store bought watermelon called Black Diamond to calm down my craving. I will grow some OG next Spring.

Tony