2024 NEW to your garden / orchard this year

There didn’t have any, correct. I don’t have any yet either.

1 Like

I have only bought 1 new tree, but I’m doing a lot of grafting this year.

Azadi Pomegranate due to the study on rot resistance…

1 Like

Update:

I ended up ordering from Raintree Nursery (very first time):

Passiflora Pinkpop, Russian Male Musk Strawberry, Capron Musk Strawberry, Profumata Musk Strawberry, Sweet Scarlet Goumi, Leikora Seaberry, McDonald Hazelnut, Polly O Hazelnut and Wepster Hazelnut

I also picked up some rootstock (and scionwood) from @JustPeachy and had a small back order from Hartmann’s Nursery that @disc4tw mailed to me (along with scionwood).

Finally, I went to a scion swap and got a bunch of new varieties of apples, Asian pear and NA Pawpaw, too many to list.

5 Likes

I had to look up musk strawberry. Had never heard of them before. Very cool!

2 Likes

I started some musk strawberries from seed that I bought from The Strawberry Seed Store last year. They did well, but I knew that I needed a male to pollinate and there was no guarantee that I would germinate one. I didn’t get any berries last year, so I decided to buy the male and while I was at it, thought I may as well get the other two that they offer as well. I will plant them by the ones I germinated.

3 Likes

Thought I was done :slight_smile:

I snagged the following at the OC CRFG plant sale.

Golden currant
Tiny pawpaw - Pennsylvania Golden
Conadria Fig
Chilean Tuna “prickly pear”
Blue Celeste Fig
African Pride Atemoya
El Bumpo Cherimoya
Loquat - Gold Nugget
Ice Cream Bean (air layered)
Pineapple “Honey Sweet”

Cue circus music since I already have too many pending projects in my yard: my order with Papayas from the Hawaiian nursery arrived, my zone pushing honeyberries, Crandall clove currant and Tatiana Black currant are here and my fejioa and Hardy kiwi and arctic kiwi arrived. Now my only order pending is Albion, Mara De Bois, and Earliglow strawberries, Joan J Raspberries and Ponca Blackberries. And I got 2 more pomegranates (Ariana and Parfianka) and 2 more figs (Gary’s Strawberry fig and Panache fig) from the nursery the other day.

So exciting. Also so grateful I can indulge in this hobby.

3 Likes

My new tiny Cardinal persimmon from OGW.

1 Like

We’ve planted lots this winter and spring with more going in each week. We’re in Upstate, SC Zone 8a.
Probably easies to follow everything over on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/DeanFamilyAcres ), but here’s a quick list of the edible additions:

Blueberries:
60’ row of Powderblue
60’ row of Climax
6 large unknown rabbiteye

Removed a large maple and created an edibles bed
Azadi Pomegranate
2 pineapple guava
Little Miss Figgy
Robinson Crabapple
Tanenashi Persimmon

Peaches:
Saturn, Red Globe, Loring

Muscadines:
Dixieland, Delicious, Lane, Fry, Pam, Sweet Mix

Fuzzy Kiwi:
Saanichton, Jenny, Vincent, and a Male

Hopa Crabapple
Seedling Apple

Plums/Pluot:
Odom, Guthrie, Spring Satin

Grafting:
Top worked Bradford with ~ 5 varieties
8 Pluot varieties
~9 Plum varieties

1 Like

I found Jan now at Fruitwood. I put in an order.

3 Likes

Too many grafts to recall but I’ve posted them in this thread I think. I thought I was done and I should have been but now to update haha

Pawpaws came in since
1 Mango
1 Sunflower

Trying to get Hardy Kiwi established again, any pointers would be appreciated, failed with many plants so far. I think I didn’t water enough, or too hot? As they died in summer

Ordered one dark pitanga and got 3, so I’ll plant at least one, keep at least one potted.
Sete Capote should be here tomorrow, along with more interesting seeds from Bellamy trees: Eugenia complicata(blue pitanga) Eugenia speciosa, psidium myrtoides. Have 3 sprouted grumichama I plan to try to plant one in a protected spot and see if it can live (doubtful but I don’t need 3) some Psidium longipetiolatum I’m hoping germinate so I can likely kill a few in the ground.

Got a psidium littorale debating on puttin in the ground or waiting a year. My cattleianum is covered in buds and only had it a year so I don’t think I would have to wait long for fruit.

Put a pakistan mulberry in ground to replace the acerola that died during this mild winter (happy it died as if it couldn’t handle that winter it’s not worth trying to plant in ground). Rooted from Marta scions, growing pretty quick.

King James I morus nigra from Whitman farms should also arrive tomorrow. Lucille said no one in the southeast has had any success with nigra and tried to convince me to not waste my money. I found a person that now has Noir de España in northern florida that said the first couple years was a struggle. Apparently they need a strong mycorrhizae network, with my deep mulching I think it will be ok. However it will likely shade out my blueberries if it makes it, but this is a risk I’m willing to take as I have no room for trees but they keep showing up at my house haha plus this one is for science

Ordered a spice-zee nectaplum because as some member posted stark had them for >30 with only 6.99 shipping. I’ll keep it in a pot and just harvest scions off it to add to my stone fruit trees.

Basically the morale of 2024 is experimenting with rare anecdotally cold hardy subtropicals, and not giving up on kiwi (finally put a sturdy arbor together so I’m determined this time) and more zone pushing in a few directions.

This is the 3rd-4th year of most things in the yard so really things are starting to take off nicely.

3 Likes

Got some new stuff from some plant sales. A Sapodilla seedling, a Rose Apple seedling, a Pomegranate, a Moringa, 2 Sugar Belle Citrus, a few Cranberry Hibiscus and a Red Jaboticaba. Got them all in the ground this past week along with a Peanut Butter Fruit tree, “Purple Possum” Passion Vine and some small Tree Spinach. Apparently ants love Tree Spinach, which is rather unfortunate. Got a Loquat to go in the ground this week, and maybe a Coffee plant and a black Jaboticaba.

Hopefully I will have a lot more to go in the ground this year with my seeds sprouting. Always makes me excited thinking ahead.

3 Likes