A big time Article about my Urban Farm!

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/farm-to-table/2017/07/31/big-tex-urban-farms-backboneof-budding-southern-dallas-food-system I posted this in Pictures because it has pictures and because I didn’t know were else to post it! I hope you enjoy it. They did a wonderful job telling the story of the revolution we are trying to inspire.

Drew

17 Likes

Great article about a great project built around a great idea. Way to go!

6 Likes

You should be very, very proud of that article and what you are doing. I admire it very much. I’ve told you before about my local experience with a church that offered a small plot of land for community gardening and what an amazing success it was for people who really needed and enjoyed it. But we are in a fairly rural community anyway- for you to do it in an urban environment is even better. Keep up the great work- you are doing a good thing. I’m glad you got the publicity.

4 Likes

Great story! Inspiring for certain! Lots of love there!

4 Likes

What a wonderful project. Really appreciate what you have done.

4 Likes

Love the article and pics. I am impressed with what you and your group are doing with your urban farm, particularly donating the food grown to all these worthy charities. It’s awesome.

My own “urban farm” is a much smaller scale and for personal consumption, and far more focused on fruits & fruit trees than on vegetables. In fact, we can’t keep up with eating all the veg that I grow, and so a fair bit has bolted and are now being grown for seeds for next year, rather than for fresh eating.

Keep up the good work. If I was in your area, I would have loved to get some of those garden boxes and continue what you’ve started.

This spring, I convinced the Principal of my daughters’ elementary school to start a school garden in raised beds for the students. They started with 3 stainless containers and my hope is that eventually every class will have its own garden bed.

Anthony

5 Likes

Congratulations on the growing success of your project. Funny how the writer concentrated on potatoes, though. That has to be one of the least improved vegetables both in taste and nutrition by being served extremely fresh. I suppose they have more vitamin C when fresh, but most of that is destroyed by cooking anyway. It’s probably your fresh greens that have the most benefit for your consumers.

3 Likes

Thank you all for taking the time to read the article! It means an awful lot!

Drew

2 Likes

That may have been my fault. I said they were an important crop because of there long shelf life and she kind of ran with it. Yes our greens are very important. I think all of our beans are critical too for the protein content. If I could grow rice I would as well as those grains and the energy they contain are valuable too. Thank you Alan!

DD

2 Likes

Getting ag programs in schools is great! Excellent work! Love what you are doing.

Drew

2 Likes

Thank you sir!

2 Likes

Nice article. I have to agree with Alan that you can often get kids and non-interested people more excited by berries and fruit than potatoes and onions. It makes me think of how a longevity doctor astonished himself by realizing, “Every centenarian I’ve ever known was a gardener! Every single one!”
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

John they didn’t mention it in the article but I do have a mixed bad of fruit trees started. They are only in there first year so they are not producing just yet. I am experimenting with strawberries in my greenhouse but I plan on going much bigger with them next year. Thank you for reading the article and for the input!

Drew

3 Likes

You should be very proud! I happen to think it’s going to be important to know how to grow your food one day…kudos to you for your work. I’m sure you’re busy right now shifting everything for fair time. Is it solely financed from fair funds? I know last year was a good money year and I hope this one is too. Just a fantastic write up for you!

2 Likes

I lived in Dallas for a hotter than heck summer and then some. (Now I have a small orchard in the Napa Valley.) From someone at ground zero of the farm-to-table movement, I’m very happy to see this. Bravo, boys!

3 Likes

I think it is a really important thing for people to know in our area of Dallas now! I am really focusing on figuring out how to get other people up and growing in the area as well. Lots of empty lots that could be used. One day. Thank you soooo much. One day I hope to look back and be proud. There is simply too much to be done in front of me to be there yet. We have done a heck of a lot this year though. Yes the State Fair of Texas funds this whole initiative one hundred percent. The last few years have been huge for us and I sure hope this one will be too!

Drew

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes Dallas is very hot. Fair Park and all it’s asphalt seem to add several extra degrees! Yes I call what I’m doing the concrete to table movement. Yes I really do call it that! Hahaha! I’ll bet you have a wonderful place out in California don’t you.

Drew

3 Likes

I just posted this as a separate topic but I will post it here too since all of you were kind enough to read the article about my farm I thought you may have an interest in this as well. Thanks again to y’all!

I Just started a Facebook page that is going to be centered around my activities with my Urban Farm project. I will have tips and videos (eventually) and I will also feature info about the wonderful organizations that we are working with. To be clear this is not a business at all and nothing I do for money. It is simply a forum to share info about Urban Farming and such. I would love for all interested to like and or follow my page. As much as anything I would love to get y’alls feedback and hear your ideas. Please share with me any tips and suggestions you may have for my project. Finally it is with Scott’s permission that I am posting this. Thank you! Redirecting...

1 Like