A peonie question- (pictures)

We have two original peonies in our yard, one red and one white, both 30+ years (or more) since they were planted, and they have spread and crossed and sometimes they do some interesting things. Here’s some pics:

mx_67uR2l9VCGlgmbQvnUWJ

Why are the interior petals of the last one so peculiar? And why do some of them have so many more petals in the blossoms than others?

9 Likes

The extra petaled ones are called double flowers, instead of stamens the plant has a mutation that produces more petals, there are levels from single to part double to full double. I think the curled up interior petals would be called “cactus” petals, at least they are on dahlias.

The first generation cross plants look like about a 50-50 mix between parents, the generations after that will have lots more combinations and even fun new stuff. Although, they didn’t necessarily have to cross at all, since the original plants could have been F1 generation hybrids that would produce varied seedlings even when self pollinated.

Thank you! It was expecially useful to hear about the tie-in to dahlias and also the possibility that they could be reversions for F1 hybrids- explains it very nicely.

1 Like

Looks like you are having pretty good luck with them, I know it is hard to pick, but do you have any favorites?

Favorites- yes, all of them!

Seriously, sometimes the beauty just overwhelms. Right now the peonies, roses, and irises are all just going full throttle, and when the light hits them we just have to stop what we’re doing to look.

These are not something I do; Mrs. nMT is the flower person. It works pretty well, as she is beautiful and I can prune and spray and move stuff …

:-)M

8 Likes

I like peonies as well. Mine always seem to just hit full bloom and then we get a thunderstorm. The giant flower heads act like a sponge mop and with all the weight in them the wind lays them over on the ground. I always mean to give them some support but forget until it is too late.

1 Like

I want to revive this thread and see how your flowers look this year.

Here are my 3 pink peonies:

Bowl of Beauty. Photo had looked darker pink when purchased. It always blooms 1st.

Raspberry Sundae. Supposed to be more contrasting, but no. Photo enhansements in ads bother me.

Last to bloom, sigh, also turned out same pale pink. It is a neat looking bud, with stripes in hot pink. I forget name. Looks a bit like an old cabbage rose. These are ready for Memorial Day graves.

I originally had a red peony where the last pink one is now. It died. All were purchased about 13 years ago because my grandma mentioned her mom had grown peonies. They each had one bloom, their 1st, in June just before she died in 2009. Too bad I do not have more diversity in colors like you.

6 Likes

Those are just beautiful, David. We’re probably about two weeks out from any show yet, plus it has been a bit on the chilly side lately, so everything seems a little late.

1 Like

Took this pic early today

3 Likes