A seedling plum- any idea what type of plum?

This plum may be useful due to its late bloom time. All the other plums were lost this year due to late frosts. Anyone have any idea what kind of plum it is?

9 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Almost looks like a beach plum. Is it wild or was it planted?

1 Like

Can you describe the taste? Looks like bug free fruits too?

1 Like

They are some type of seedling I planted many years ago. They are much larger than beach plums. This year the taste is sweet and pleasant. Fruit is still very firm but I found a riper plum to try.

6 Likes

And the fact that they are growing like bunches of grapes.

3 Likes

Yes I picked a couple of gallons from one bush today. Now to determine how they will cook up once they finish ripening, the plums were literally falling from the bush in large numbers. The bush is sending up suckers that are readily dividing into a plum thicket. It has a sibling bush and the plums on it are still a couple of weeks from picking.

6 Likes

Positively identified the plum today as Prunus americana. Each Prunus americana seedling will be different since the seeds are made up of dna from genetically different parents. It appears these wild plums may be very useful to grow due to the bloom time, lack of pests, heavy fruiting, flavor, drought tolerance, heat & cold tolerance. The fruits can be yellow but are typically red or purple. This video and others helped to make positive identification https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUaQir1oGg
Looking back on my purchases that year positively confirms what they are.

2 Likes

It’s sibling is even later as you can see from these pictures from today

![12CE5873-C9B0-456C-962B-6F92CE2AA75A|690x920](upload://jVQ0KklBqNMhHZ5sV4mamP77jbX .jpeg)

7 Likes

I tasted some American plums growing wild on my property and they were A-ok.

They’re nothing special worth propagating, but were simply a real decent, treat.

Dax

3 Likes

The other plum just ripened up on September 11th! We’d had plenty off the other plum! The dog loves them!

2 Likes

Hope your dog loves plums. Mine loves peaches, apples and raspberries!

1 Like

I have them all along my fence lines. They will take over if you don’t keep them mowed down. They make excellent jelly or wine. I also stop when i am working in the pastures and grab several to snack on off the trees. Once they are established you don’t have to do anything to them they will make almost every year

2 Likes