Air layering

It’s new enough that even I have not tested it yet. But I think it should work. The current design is about 3.25" in length and uses 2" neoprene foam inserts. It has been designed in OpenSCAD (which is free, and open source, and cross platform), and can easily be changed (such as upscaled), but there is also a SolidWorks CAD file that i need to update that could be modified in Solidworks or Fusion360.

rootpod2.txt (1.5 KB)

My CAD design is being attached below as a txt file. Just rename the file .scad and open it with OpenSCAD, a free and open source, cross platform, cad program. You can then render and export the design in 3MF or STL format.

Please let me know what you think. Feedback is welcome.

If anyone reading this owns a 3D printer or has access to one at their local library, I would like others to test my design.

1 Like

Did you ever test the design?

3 sizes of air-layer shells (aka plant balls) I bought in bulk 2 summers ago.

2 Likes

Mutations don’t dictate age. This is what we once thought regarding the theory of aging but increasingly we are understanding aging as changes in the epigenome.

But to the point of the topic I believe that hardy kiwis could be propagated by this method easily as I can get them to root with light stool layering with little effort

1 Like

I bought some of those also but never did get them to work, its just too dry where I live I think, Id have to remember to water them frequently to encourage root growth and Ive got other stuff that keeps me distracted…

I find the easiest way to airlayering is to take a sandwich ziplock bag and fill it with moist potting mix then make a straight cut in the center of the bag then wrapped the cut section with exposed potting mix to the scorched branch then zip tight it then covered it with Reynolds wrap. Check for roots in 4 to 5 weeks. The moist potting mix will not evaporate so no needs to add water or anything else.

Tony

2 Likes
1 Like

In article summary: “Using a system called “ICE” (inducible changes to the epigenome), we find that the act of faithful DNA repair advances aging at physiological, cognitive, and molecular levels, including erosion of the epigenetic landscape, cellular exdifferentiation, senescence, and advancement of the DNA methylation clock, which can be reversed by OSK-mediated rejuvenation. These data are consistent with the information theory of aging, which states that a loss of epigenetic information is a reversible cause of aging.”
WHERE DO i SIGN MYSELF UP?

@danzeb
Be careful. There will be more like Elizabeth Holmes.

2 Likes

Come back as a mouse in your next life lol.

1 Like

I would agree with that. My only point is that with more time comes more mutations. Eventually resulting in death. Nothing gets out of here alive.

mutations don’t typically dictate age, just like mutations that resulted in blue eyes, green eyes etc, which have no effect whatsoever on person who acquired it and passed it on to children and grandkids. But there will be mutations that keep cells juveniles rather indefinitely, until the food supply(sadly–our bodies’ differentiated cells) succumb to cancer cells’ parasitic proliferation. The most indestructible/malignant cancer cells are the least differentiated and unable to mature. When reading biopsy report re: cancer tissues, look for the key word “differentiated” and the adjective that precedes it. Well-differentiated carcinoma bodes well for the afflicted compared to same type of carcinoma that is undifferentiated
some cancer cells have been around for more than 6 decades in petri dishes and all are supposedly still “juvenile” stage.

This is not to the point of topic.

definitely not, as it is about mutations and not air layering i apologize :slight_smile:

To stick loosely to the topic of propagation I think that one could argue that mutations may make a plant different phenotypically but that doesn’t imply worse. Most mutations will have neutral effects, some positive, some negative but we will certainly be selecting for survivors and thus the divergence of widespread rootstocks over time will greatly favor those with positive mutations.

Plants also have interesting ways to deal with mutations, see below. After all we have quacking aspens that are clonal and 10s of thousands of years old in Colorado.

“Thanks to their modular architecture, trees may have the ability to compartmentalize deleterious somatic mutations, and escape senescence if the negative consequences are restricted to that module” (Bernard et al., 2020).

“These results suggest that stem-cell organization has independently evolved in plants and animals to minimize mutations by limiting DNA replication” (Watson et al., 2016)