All things tractors thread

That is a lot of work to put into an old tractor. It sure looks nice back together and working like it was ment to. So many of these end up junked and destroyed

Love it!

Well, good work then. Sounds like a lot of hard work, but in the end, itā€™s all worth it.

Also rebuilt the steering box, rebuilt the brakes, and put a new seat on her. Now to put it to work prepping my front field in a week for its winter cover crop.

Didnā€™t you say that you use radish or mustard for your cover crop?

Diakon radish

1 Like

Hereā€™s a little toy I have.

5 Likes

A backhoe on wheels? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen one of those. How is it powered, by gasoline? Obviously not PTO driven, what with it hooked up to the 4 wheeler. I like the built in seat.

Gas powered hydraulics. You can tow it to your working area then you set it up. You can leave it connected to a 4 wheeler or tractorā€¦ truck, whatever or disconnect and move about using the bucket to push you around. Here is one in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RIZ9Qqzshg

Here is my Kubota taking a break from installing some raspberry trellisingā€¦

ā€¦here she is getting ready to take the new(to me) sprayer out on its maiden voyage.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice looking ole Kubota, JD. Are the chains for traction because of the turf tires? Thatā€™s an impressive post hole digger, also. Thatā€™s something we couldā€™ve used when we planted our pecan trees. Digging the deep holes for them just about did us in.

Do you already have the raspberries, or are you just prepping the site for them? Iā€™m looking into maybe getting some for next year. We have some growing wild on the farm, but theyā€™re too tart.

I noticed the fencing around some trees in the background. Do you have deer issues too? I just came in from pulling weeds and putting down some mulch around my apple trees. I have 4 foot fencing around mine as well, after some deer grazed on some of them.

How did the sprayer work out?

I show you the future, the last toy case that more than a tractor looks like a ferrari.
It is a robotic driverless tractor and can be operated remotely from a tablet, a few days ago has been presented at Farm Progress Show in Boone, Iowa.

The video is in English:

nice bit to make holes you have, a few years ago they made very large augers that made holes over 1 meter, currently used more small bits like yours that by making the smallest hole then we have to introduce less land in the hole and we won so time and work less.
careful with large stones, are the enemy of the augers.

is a herbicide sprayer or bar which shows in the second picture?

The tractor is only two wheel drive and I was concerned about traction with the turf tires when plowing snow. So I had all four tires loaded with Rim-guard and added the chains. Worked great, no problems with traction on snow or ice. They are still on now due to my laziness. There are a real bear to take on and off the tractor, think they weigh 80lbs a piece!

Yep, tired of bending over to pick the fruit so I put the trellis in around and existing row to help hold them up. I did change the angle of the row a little to make mowing easierā€¦

Lots of deer. I like to cage the tree for the first several years so I can shape them with the deerā€™s help.

Works great! Had to replace the pressure regulator and Iā€™m in the process of adding a jet agitator circuit to keep the tank mixed well. Other than that, works great. Has 200ā€™ of hose for the spray gun, so It looks like I can do my whole orchard from two or three tractor placements. Should be a big time-saver for me.

It has a collapsible boom for herbicide, I think it will spray a 14ā€™ wide path. It is designed to be removed so I took it off. I think I am going to dedicate this sprayer for fungicide and insecticide on the trees only and use one of my smaller sprayers for herbicide spraying.

Here are some better picturesā€¦

1 Like

I agree that is the future but I just canā€™t see that happening soon, at least not the way we farm now. Of the tractors that we mainly use only our combines are not auto steer, although they do have gps that lets us print maps showing yield results across each field. Our planter tractors and sprayer steer themselves but someone needs to be with them to make sure everything is working right. We have to stop a good bit to clear debris from the planter or unclog a spray tip or any other thing that can go wrong. Human eyes can anticipate problems that computers have a hard time doing.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m opening this thread again because of a situation with my JD 2040. Last week, and yesterday, I plowed our garden plots. I figured that the turned soil was dry enough, and thought itā€™d be a good time to run the disc harrow over it to prepare it for planting. We hooked up the disc yesterday and I was going to do the work today.

We have 5 plots that were plowed, and I was discing the first one for today, and was just about done with it, when suddenly there was steam coming off the front of the engine, which was obviously quite hot.

I dropped the disk and turned off the engine and hopped off. I was standing off to the right front side of the tractor and could see fluid, which I figured to be coolant (green colored) was running out where the bottom of the radiator was, it seemed like maybe at least a quart was pouring out onto the ground. Of course, I was dropping expletives, thinking omg, I just blew up the engine. All kinds of bad scenarios were coursing thru my brain. I do remember the temp gauge never got into the red, so I donā€™t think the engine got too hot.

I had my wife come out and look at it, and she got a cup to catch some of the still draining coolant. She didnā€™t know what could be going on. I figured maybe the engineā€™s OK if just coolantā€™s coming out.

I went to my neighbor who knows stuff about tractors, and he said it was prob something wrong with the radiator, and it was coming out of the overflow tube. I asked him to come down and look at it, and he was looking at the back side of the radiator and said, ā€œI think I see the problemā€.

He said look up in there, and it looked like there was a groove about a quarter inch thick in a circle on the radiator fins. He said the core was probably punctured, and hence the fan blew the coolant on the engine, with all the steam. He said the radiator might be repaired by a shop, but Iā€™d be better off just getting a new one.

What we could guess what happened is that something solid (rock, dirt clod?) got caught in between the fan and the radiator grill and made the circular groove in the fins, cutting it too deep in some places.

SO, looks like the old JD will be out of commission for at least a week while I wait for a new radiator. Total cost? About $225 + $13 shipping for a new one, which I can prob get in within a week. Since we need our other plots disced, Iā€™m going to ask my bro-in-law if heā€™d do that for us.

Question: I want to put the tractor in the barn for the upcoming repairs and out of the sun/rain. Would it be safe to put some water in it to have some cooling fluid in it while I drive it back to the barn? The distance is only about 100 yards. If not, itā€™ll stay where itā€™s at for the repairs.

You can drive it to the barn, fill the radiator before you do. Look for a radiator shop next time you go into town, and get the old one repaired and keep it as a spare. Iā€™d also power flush the whole cooling system to get all the loose and nasty gunk out of the block. Put in new antifreeze, get the right color, it does make a difference.

Iā€™d fill it up and keep a five gallon bucket of water beside me and go for it. Didnā€™t sound like it is leaking fast enough at this point. You wonā€™t need antifreeze at this point. Iā€™ve run my old Olivers hard as well.

Well, hereā€™s an update. I was puzzled why there would be a circular gash in the radiator grille. A rock or other foreign object wouldnā€™t have caused such damage.

So, the wife and I popped the cowling off the top of the engine to get a better look. The gash was caused by the fan! One of the blades was bent inward and stuck against the grill. How that happened I donā€™t know. So, I called the same neighbor that Iā€™d talked to earlier. He suggested that perhaps a bearing in the water pump went wonky, and caused the fan to tilt inward enough to hit the radiator. There doesnā€™t appear to be a lot of clearance between the fan and the grille. Does this sound possible? If not, what other causes could there be?

Here are a few pics. Not a pretty sight.

He needs to flush all the old silverseal out of that tractor. Thatā€™s why he needs antifreeze. Donā€™t spend the money and time to do a good repair and not finish strong.

Something moved , either the fan or the radiator