Allegheny Chinkapins

I have a few allegheny chinkapins, still growing (I think) in their green burrs. Will be frosty tonight, 30 maybe 28 tonight. Will they be OK? thanks!

That kind of cold won’t hurt any kind of adapted nut this late into fall. It won’t even hurt pecans in this part of Texas. It probably won’t even hurt the leaves much here. Nuts none at all. For a really late maturing pecan leaf damage might cause small loss of nut quality. But only on varieties that really aren’t adapted.

OK, thanks fruitnut!. I will leave them. They are looking good too and getting bigger these past few days :slight_smile:

The only issue I can see is if they are in containers. There should be no problem with the tops. Where are you located? My native ACs drop their nuts in mid-September. Mine open and drop the nuts when the husks are still green.

I wonder if my ripening time is a function of my climate, zone 7a, or just a function of the genetics of my native ACs. I’m in VA. I was chatting with someone in NC on another forum who said his had not opened as of a week or so ago. Since he is south of me I thought that might be the difference. That is why I ask for your location.

Roundface,

Those temps are fine, but I’m worried about the rest of the winter.

I’ve had fair success getting them to survive in z6b, probably 60%.

But only one planting out of twelve survived at my sister’s place in far northern PA, z5b/6a.

I have the cultivar “Golden,” which was selected in Kentucky.

The northern limit of its natural range is central New Jersey, z7a.

I am in zone 6. They are in the ground and has been for a couple of years. I got 50 hazelnuts for the 1st time this year and I cropped them end of August!

Allegheny chinkapin can survive zone 6. I have had these in the ground for a couple of years. I do have segium (everbearing) which survived in pots with protection but a few were killed by black stem borers

Roundface,

Are yours a specific variety or native?

I dont have a clue, all I know is they are Allegheny chinkapins and everbearing seguim chestnuts. Some allegheny are more stoloniferous than others.

Very interesting. I have an application where I was counting on that September drop. I assumed Sequins would ripen at the same time but would be blight resistant. My native ACs get blight and die back and then re-sprout from the roots and produce nuts again. It seems while they are susceptible to blight, it does not keep them from producing nuts like it does to American chestnuts.

I ordered a pound of Sequin nuts but now I’m rethinking things…

The Everbearing seguin have bigger nuts, 2-3 in each burr, slightly bigger than size of penny. Yes the allegheny do sprout from roots, Though the ones I got from Ediblelandscaping do not show this characteristic. I think there are different variation of Allegheny chinkapins. I bought 4 hybrid chestnuts and got them in pots this yr and have crop them to 2 ft. Will need to protect them this winter since they are in pots.

I planted two from edible landscaping this year. Where do you guys get the variety that resprouts from the roots? I was counting on that oft cited characteristic of chinquapin.

I have bought from Hallmans Farm, SC before and found theirs to sprout well from roots.I just went on their site but none listed, you may have to call them. The one from EdibleLandscaping did resprout after the neighbour’s tree cutting went wrong and fell on it, crushing the tree! There is another but cant think of name at the moment.

They grow wild in my area. I just collect nuts in September.

Lucky you!!!

I ordered a pound of dwarf Chinese chestnuts (Sequins) which are the Chinese version of chinquapins. They are supposed to be blight resistant. Since ACs grow wild on my place, I presume the Sequins will do just as well. We will see. The nuts are supposed to arrive in December.

when you said dwarf, how tall do they grow?

The scientific name of these is Castanea seguinii but I they are commonly called Seguins or Dwarf Chinese Chestnuts. I don’t have any yet, so I can’t speak from experience. My ACs have a wide range. Most are small bushes sprouting from stumps that range from knee height to about 8’. I have few that are more like trees with multiple trunks. Some of these are as tall as 15’. I’m expecting the Seguins to be about the same in size. I think they are commonly called Dwarf Chinese Chestnuts because they are small compared to Chinese Chestnuts and produce multiple nuts per husk like Chestnuts where ACs have only 1 nut per husk.

Once I get them growing I’ll let folks know how they turn out.

I looked at my AC this morning. the ones I have left (ie not dead) do not have any sprouts The ones I got from Hallmans did but they are all dead now. Forrestfarm would you like to swap a few of your AC with mine. I do not have many nuts but I can send at least 2 from each tree provided they are OK when the burrs open. I think I have 4-5 trees. where did you buy your Dwarf Seguins from? thanks