And here comes the freeze

No need to say sorry, Drew. I am actually interested in this dwarf, because it seems to be very cold tolerant and it is the earliest tomato to flower. I am OK with the wispy foliage too, may be I need to prune it less, which is a good thing. Some tomatoes have similar foliage when they hit with herbicides, this is why I was worried. But the plant is loaded with flowerbuds and it proves that it is healthy.

I’m growing a dwarf this year, and it is super healthy has a very thick stalk, looks a lot like that plant! Not as big though! I want to grow more dwarfs now.

Me too. They do look very healthy.

I’m growing Tennessee Suited dwarf. No chance of a mix up here. As I bought seeds after I mailed you seeds.
Tennessee Suited is in the middle, Lucid Gem on the left, and KBX on the right. Both the regular plants are displaying some leaf curl from the cold, not TS though! It too appears cold hardy. It must be in the dwarf gene. Also the regulars grew a little lanky even under good lights.

What kind of fruit do you get with that dwarf? Size, taste …

Some are fantastic, and full size tomatoes, even beefsteaks. Over 60 dwarfs out there from the Dwarf Tomato Project. Which was done for free with tomato growers around the world. I may participate if they decide to keep moving the project forward. Here is the description.
Tennessee Suited -
Maturity midseason
Growth habit dwarf, indet.
Leaf type regular, rugose
Fruit color black, purple, striped
Fruit shape beefsteak
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Variety type created heirloom, stabilized intentional cross
Country Australia, USA
is a 6-10 ounce smooth oblate purple fruit with vertical green stripes (clear skinned black with stripes), regular leaf dwarf, very good yield, very good flavor. After one of the Alaska volunteers said she saw a striped tomato late in her Alaska season, I was sent some seeds and found it the next season here in Tennessee. We did some selections and growouts, and now, it is available to the public. It is named after the place where it thrived (Tennessee) and the two people who believed in it. Enjoy this great tasting and colorful new variety. Does well in containers. Obtained from Heritage Seed Market.

I heard the founder of the project (Craig LeHoullier) talk on garden shows many times, and he listed his favorites, and the best ones out of the project. I wrote down his choices and plan to try them. So far not grown yet, but have seed to some that were his top choices

Uluru Ochre -
Maturity midseason
Fruit color black, orange
Fruit shape oblate
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Country Australia, USA
65 days, tree-type — The vigorous, dwarf, rugose, regular leaf plants are relatively compact, quite early to produce and prolific. Producing a good yield of medium to large sized (six to twelve ounces) oblate uniquely colored tomatoes that are essentially the first “black/orange” variety we’ve seen - orange flesh with green overtones, and somewhat amber/orange/green in appearance. The flavor can be a bit variable season to season, but at its best, it has an absolutely delicious, smokey flavor.
‘Uluru Ochre’ originated as a cross between ‘Orange Heirloom’ and ‘Rosella Purple’ made by Patrina Nuske Small and named “Rosy.” ‘Uluru Ochre’ was selected and named by Patrina. Among those who contributed to stabilizing this “Dwarf Tomato Project” variety are Patrina, Patrick Sullivan, Steve McClaren, Linda Black, Marla McClaren, Ted Maiden, Paul Fish, Lurley Hernandez, Dee Sackett, Ginny Bishton, Sue Bailey, Lisa Moore, Sherry Shiesl, Simone Pennig, Amanda Fischer, Sandra Tipton, Bill Minkey, and Craig LeHoullier. Introduced in 2015.
Obtained from Victory Seeds

Sweet Scarlet Dwarf -
Maturity midseason
Leaf type potato, rugose
Fruit color red
Fruit shape oblate
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Country Australia, USA

90 days, determinate tree-type — The vigorous, dwarf, rugose, potato leaf plants produce a heavy yield of medium to medium large sized (six to sixteen ounces) oblate, smooth red fruit, possessing a superb, intense, complex flavor – one of the very best flavored of all of the “Dwarf Tomato Project” varieties. Due to the challenge of stabilizing the dominant tomato color (red), don’t be surprised if you find an occasional plant producing yellow or orange fruit; be sure to try them, because they will likely be just as delicious.
Developed by members of the “Dwarf Tomato Project” as a selection out of the “Tipsy family” (‘Elbe’ and ‘Golden Dwarf Champion’, cross made by Patrina Nuske Small of Australia). ‘Sweet Scarlet Dwarf’ was selected and named by Craig LeHoullier. Among those who contributed to stabilizing ‘Sweet Scarlet Dwarf’ are Jon Schmuck, Susan Oliverson, Michael Volk, Susan Barber, Patrina Nuske Small, Steve McClaren, Marla McClaren, Dee Sackett, Scott Stough, Ginny Bishton, Wendy Montanez, Amanda Fischer, Linda Black, Bobby Whicker, Kathy Wolfe, Paul Fish, Kay Robbins, and Bill Minkey. Obtained from Victory Seeds

Rosella Purple -
Maturity midseason
Fruit color purple
Fruit shape beefsteak, oblate
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Country Australia, USA, Germany
75 days, tree-type — This was a Victory Seed Company introduction for 2011 and one of the dwarf varieties from the “Dwarf Tomato Project.” Similar to ‘Cherokee Purple’ in color, size, shape and flavor but on a dwarf growing plant. Regular leaf, dark green rugose foliage, stout central stem, grows to three to four feet in height. Perfect for a large container or a small garden space. The fruits are oblate, ranging from six to twelve ounces, and ripen to a deep purple-pink color. Flavor is full, intense, balanced and delicious.
‘Rosella Purple’ originated from a cross between ‘Budai’ (a small red fruited dwarf) and ‘Stump of the World’, made in 2006 by Patrina Nuske Small in Australia. A subsequent selection discovered by Craig LeHoullier led to ‘Rosella Purple’. It was grown out to its ninth generation before being released, and is a quite stable open-pollinated variety, but still may produce the occasional off-type plant.
Others involved in its development are David Lockwood (Australia), Lee Newman, Dee Sackett, Paola Gelmetti, Linda Black, Susan Anderson, Patty Brown, Reinhard Kraft (Germany) and Bill Minkey.
Obtained from Victory seeds

Dwarf Orange Cream -
Maturity midseason
Leaf type potato, rugose
Fruit color orange
Fruit shape round
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Country Australia, USA
originated with a cross made between Golden Dwarf Champion and Elbe made by Patrina Nuske Small in 2006 and named Tipsy. Dwarf Orange Cream was selected and named by Craig LeHoullier. The vigorous potato leaf dwarf plants produce heavy yields of uniquely colored pale orange smooth oblate fruit that have a nearly matte, dull finish, ranging from 8-12 ounces. As with most of the Tipsy family, the flavor is superb – intense, rich, and with a lively tang – clearly one of the best of our dwarf releases to date. Involved are Patrina Nuske Small, Craig LeHoullier, Susan Oliverson, Lisa Moore, and Dee Sackett. The starting seed sample was grown and provided by Bill Minkey.
Obtained from Heritage Seed Market

Dwarf Mr. Snow -
Maturity midseason
Growth habit indet., dwarf
Leaf type potato, rugose
Fruit color white, pale yellow
Fruit shape round
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Variety type stabilized intentional cross, created heirloom
Country USA, Australia
90 days, tree-type — Mid-late season variety — This was a brand new release by the “Dwarf Tomato Project” and introduced commercially by the Victory Seed Company for the 2011 gardening season. ‘Dwarf Mr. Snow’ has deep green, rugose, potato leaf foliage and a very stout central stem, growing to four feet, and perhaps a bit more depending upon conditions. Fruits are smooth and oblate, ranging from six to ten ounces or more, and are a lovely ivory color - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit.
The flavor is sprightly, balanced, full and delicious. ‘Dwarf Mr. Snow’ originated from a cross between ‘Golden Dwarf Champion’ (a medium fruited yellow dwarf) with ‘Green Giant’, made in 2006 by Patrina Nuske Small in Australia. Now in its seventh generation, it is a quite stable open-pollinated variety but still may produce the occasional off-type plant.
The variety was selected and named by Craig LeHoullier after friend and local newspaper columnist, A. C. Snow, who is also a lover of great tomatoes. Other folks involved in its development are David Lockwood (Australia), Susan Anderson, Paul Fish and Bill Minkey

Chocolate Lightning Dwarf -
Maturity midseason
Fruit color black, brown
Fruit shape oblate
Fruit size medium
Fruit type slicer
Country Australia, USA
80 days, tree-type — ‘Chocolate Lightning’ was bred by the “Dwarf Tomato Project” and introduced commercially by the Victory Seed Company for the 2015 gardening season.
The vigorous, dwarf, regular leaf plants are among the taller growing of the new dwarf varieties. The plants produce excellent yields of medium sized (four to eight ounce) smooth, slightly oblate chocolate colored tomatoes with jagged green and gold stripes. The rich crimson flesh has the intense flavor of black tomatoes but with great balance.
This variety originated with a cross between ‘Dwarf Wild Fred’ and ‘Beauty King’ made by Vince Lavallo and named “Beauty.” ‘Chocolate Lightning’ was selected and named by Vince. The “Beauty family” is very complex and a few surprises could result when growing this variety, with stripes of different colors.
Among those who contributed to stabilizing this new dwarf variety are Robin Bort, Susan Oliverson, Lisa Moore, Patrick Sullivan, Bill Yoder, Roberto, Caro del Castillo, Desire Sommers, Jenna D’Amore, and Craig LeHoullier.

Other were listed as great too, this is all I have seed for though. I will grow them out in the next couple of years.

1 Like

Dropped to 37F this morning…didn’t notice any frost out there, but i doubt my maters are liking it.

And I’ve never heard of dwarf tomatoes before! Thanks for the eye-opener!

When I joined Tomatoeville where they run the project I learned about them. It took me a year to try them though! The radio interviews with Craig convinced me. I grow most in containers usually about 10 in containers, and 4 in ground, so it just makes sense to try them for me. This year none in ground, 4 in straw bales! Trying the straw bale garden technique with 4 tomatoes and 4 peppers.
The ones I listed were in his top 15 picks. Victory and Heritage seeds sell them, and some other vendors too like the Sample Seed Shop. All three vendors are top rate small vendors. From Victory I also picked up Early Detroit and Early Detroit No 17. Released by the D. M. Ferry Seed Company in 1909. I have to grow these local heirlooms for sure! I got seed too late for this year. Tomato seeds last at least 5 years, and even longer than 10 some will germinate. I store them as well as possible. They are stored in near freezing conditions in a small fridge. (you can freeze them). I’ll have seed available to Tenn. Suited this fall, if anybody wants any, just contact me. I save seed. Always a slight chance of a cross, but the price is right! (free!).

Ugh… this is for May 5

Wednesday night into Thursday quiet and dry conditions will be seen
as cool Canadian high pressure move across the Midwest. Give the light
winds and mainly clear skies…frost looks possible late Wednesday night
to just after sunrise Thursday. If frost occurs… the area that looks
to be at risk is generally north and east of an Independence Iowa to Kewanee
Illinois line.

Yup… some pretty cold 850mb temps look to drop down (below 32F)… so the potential is there for some frost if conditions are right. The cold is aimed more towards the east so i look to stay on the fringe of the coldest air.

This past sunday we got down to 38 degrees over night. And sure enough half of the apple blossom buds on my Enterprise and Pristine are brown. The Jonagold and Mott Pink came through without a problem. All of my plums are finally blooming but we have a week of rain. Just one of those years!

You probably shouldn’t look at this then! Its ugly… i’m sorry. The coldest stays up into Vermont/Maine…

yeah, it looks like we are going to be in 30s on Wed. and Sat night . I do not like this:cry:

Saturday, Annie? NWS has Sat nite at 45.

Yeah, AccuWeather said Sat, high 73, low 39

So they do. Well, I can only hope they’re wrong! Tomorrow, otoh, is certainly looking frigid.

Same here on long Island, 50s and rain. No bees or any other insects flying with that weather.

Cold front shot through last night and we had a good line of storms and even hail. Extended looks great with a shot at upper 80Fs for Friday…

Frost for areas north and east of here…not sure if i’ll cover my tomatoes or not.

1 Like

And here I am - happy to have gotten good rain 2 days in a row and now a few days cooling down to the 70’s before racing back up to the 90’s. I’m so glad that the time to worry about freezes and frosts here is well past, even though I’m not looking forward to facing the increasing heat of summer. I’m extra, extra relieved to have gotten enough rain to soak into the dry clay.