Any Marionberry Growers in Cold Regions?

On faith, I ordered an unknown variety of Marionberry from Gurneys. Gurneys sent me a very small dry thornless twig. They have it described as hardy to Zone 4. What magic variety would this be?

I’m usually more realistic, but I would like to try growing this in Nebraska. Has anyone successfully grown this in a cold climate? We get down to the mid-teens below zero here. Is there a crazy way to grow this in a pot or earthbox and move it indoors to a garage or sunroom for the most brutal days of winter. Marionberries sound so appealing here on the forum.

2 Likes

I never tried. I do grow it in a fabric container I store in an attached garage that stays above 25F. I had problems with it still dyeing back some, and losing canes. The real Marionberry is not very hardy. It also is very thorny. New Berry seems to do better, and I may try it in the ground.
I found I can grow in ground Boysenberry, Wyeberry, and Tayberry with some winter protection. Leaves, or straw, burlap, and/or Wilt Stop etc. Sometimes our winters are mild. If severe, I can lose most, but usually the crowns survived. The last 2 years everything survived and fruited. Once firmly established they tend to do better. Getting them through that first winter is tough.

2 Likes

I grew Marionberry and several others in pots. That’s going to do way better than outdoors in your area. The yield is really pretty darn good for small pots.

These are all in pots about 3 gallon. That works with frequent watering.

Marionberry left, Obsidian right.

1 Like

I don’t get a good yield because of dieback, but this method works well. I copied Steve’s loop style and it works well. Mine are not as neat! I grow New Berry like this and yield is good.
I just picked some Tayberries this morning, ripe here now. I love these berries. This berry is a raspberry-blackberry hybrid, and tastes like neither. They look a brighter red than they are. Wyeberries, boysenberries and tayberries are hard to tell apart, same color when ripe. Tayberries taste nothing like boysenberries. Tay ripen first then wye, then boysen. Wyeberries are the largest and taste like Boysen.

5 Likes

Gurney’s is not the most reliable source. There are two things of concern about what you got, one is it is thornless and I have not ever heard of thornless Marion (Marion is actually just a single variety, it is not a species; it is a blackberry-raspberry hybrid). The other is Marion is not hardy to zone 4. In fact most blackberries are not hardy to zone 4; my guess is that is just a typo. Who knows why it is thornless, it could be they are selling one of the thornless blackberry-raspberry hybrids under the name Marion.

1 Like

@fruitnut,
Hopefully you rub off some more on us because your bushes look incredible! I’m not ready to take care of any more potted trees because it can be a lot of work at times. I’ve learned from looking at your pictures there is a lot of reasons to grow everything like that! Excellent! You have an Oasis in a at times unfriendly place.

1 Like