Anyone grafting persimmons yet?

Early Golden from @tonyOmahaz5 decided to bloom. If it doesn’t fall off on it’s own I’ll remove it.

5 Likes

Prok. My first successful persimmon graft after a couple failures last year. The wood was tougher to work with than apple. It is an angle cut that I used with a whip and tongue in the middle. Electrical tape only to wrap it up. Livestock fence with bird netting to deter deer browse.

3 Likes

My Virginiana seedlings are leafing out fairly well so I decided to try grafting a few. I still have quite a few ungrafted as well as some scion in case I did it too early. Are these far enough along? Here is one of the seedlings I grafted to.

Yes. You should be good to graft. Make sure you rub off all the new growth below the union very 3 or 4 days or the graft will fail.

Tony

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Tony. I did rub off the lower shoots but will make sure to check every few days to rub off any new ones.

it looks like I’ve got takes on most of the persimmon grafts I did to the American seedling rootstocks. Rubbing off new shoots from the rootstock is a great tip. They keep trying to send out new shoots from below the graft and I’m removing them every 3-4 days.

2 Likes

Mine moving slow

@BobC, I still have some that are just showing bud swell, and my weather has probably pushed mine along a little further than yours. The one pictured is the furthest along but I should start having quite a few reach this stage over the next few weeks. Good luck with your grafts!

Better to ask forgiveness than permission? :slight_smile:

My virginiana rootstocks are just sending out leaves so I’ll wait a few weeks. I’ve planted 2 NW of my orchard and will probably not plant anymore (maybe 1 or 2 late-ripening ones in other areas for the deer) as they can get so large (-80’!). How big are people’s American persimmons after 20+ years in the Midwest?

I would expect closer to 40’ max in your lifetime here in z5 madison, wi guessing by the trees in the arboretum

I grafted Jiro and Fuyu onto American Persimmons at the end of March and two of the four have shown very promising growth. I hope it continues. I understand a true persimmons “take” can sometimes not be confirmed for quite some time.

Following advice to wait, wait, wait, on May 25 I put five grafts on this American persimmon rootstock: Three “Chocolate” bark grafts and two “Maekawa Jiro” whip and tongue grafts. If any of these take, will be my first ever success with persimmon. Tips used: Graft late. No nurse branches. Cut off over half the rootstock. Used alum. foil heat shields. Stay tuned.

5 Likes

Good luck

1 Like

Looks good. Make sure to rub off any growth you see. Plan A for persimmons seems to be throwing off a lot of new growth on the trunk and lower part of the branches. Plan B seems to be pushing growth on the grafts.

1 Like

Hambone,

I bet your neighbor would do a double take seeing this tree and wonder what tree it is :grin:

Good luck. I am still waiting for mine to show a sign of life.

2 Likes

I grafted 2 American persimmons 2 weeks ago to potted rootstocks. The scions are starting to show signs of life and the green buds are pushing through the parafilm. :deciduous_tree:

Then I was busy and we had a cold spell, so I waited and grafted the other 2 today. We will see which do better.

I got my D. virginiana from Burnt Ridge. I had significant dieback on the in-ground trees I planted. We didn’t have a very hard winter, so I am a little worried though they said they were northern seed source, they might not have been the most hardy seedlings. Though I presume they are seedlings from selected varieties that produce quality fruit. Hopefully they will show more hardiness if they are bigger in size.

When I bark graft persimmons, I use a heat shield but I don’t cover the scion. I use it to shade the scion from direct sun. I wrap it around the root stock below the graft and secure it. I make a tall shield from there from the foil on the south side of the tree with the shield bending back over the top of the scion. I don’t want to trap heat.

3 Likes

@forestandfarm Yes, that’s what I did too, altho hard to see in the photo. The foil is open on the back side.

1 Like

@hambone, have you seen persimmon psylla, little gnat-like things on the buds of your persimmons?

1 Like