Anyone growing Golden Japan?

First, its leaves look more like that of European plums. Then some websites listed it as a prune, but others listed it as P. salicina and still others mentioned it as American/Japanese plum hybrid. They’re quite in demand in Europe with fruits fetching for about $0.50 a piece!

Here’s the pics and tell me what you think…

As for me, they look similar to giant Mirabelles. Here’s some research that I dug out. I may be able to get some fruits of this from a friend this year!

Early flowering plum, precocious, self-fertile and very productive. Yellow skin with yellow flesh, and very juicy. Ripens around July. Golden Japan is one of the most wide-spread and commercially successful Japanese plums (gages). It is an early variety maturing in July, often just a little before apricots and usually along with sweet cherries. The fruit is medium-sized, rounded, golden yellow, sometimes with pink to scarlet red dots or small cheeks when fully ripe on the tree. The taste is very sweet and the flesh is pale yellow and juicy, not free-stone. Thick skin secures longer life and the fruit is less prone to damage during harvesting and transport. It flowers in May and is self-fertile which means it does not need another plum tree to bear fruit, and on the other hand pollinates many other plum trees with its pollen. It forms quite a substantial tree growing 6m or more tall with an upright crown. They are best grown untouched, though young trees grown fast for quick commercial yield may need some initial pruning in order to create a strong framework of branches that can hold all their fruit. Pruning is also possible if you wish to keep the tree smaller. Do so at any time between flowering and harvest. It is not picky about soil provided it is not too compacted, stone-based, or water-logged. Warm and sunny locations are essential for best fruit quality. Fully hardy to about -29°C.

52 PM

6 Likes

Joe,

Nice looking tree and it sounds tasty. I would love to grow it but late frost probably zaps the flowers every year due to early budding out.

Tony

1 Like

Its a Chinese plum. Come in various colors, smallish, a little larger than a mirabelle. They grow them in southern France😃

1 Like

It hasn’t opened yet, so it blooms later than Hollywood plum, Nadia, Elephant Heart, Golden Nectar and Inca.

Based on photos and descriptions, I would guess it’s a myrobalan plum (a.k.a. cherry plum, P. cerasifera). There are numerous varieties of myrobalan plum, some with pretty good fruit.

1 Like