Anyone try using fishing line to keep birds away?

Trying to be proactive on defending my precious berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) that birds seem to love.

I heard a while back on NPR a story about a chicken farmer that was trying to do all kinds of things (unsuccessfully) to protect his birds from eagles. They had a follow up on it where someone suggested he try stringing fishing line above the chickens to deter the eagles and apparently it worked.

Search shows that people use it against deer with some success. Here is an article on how to use it against birds.

Anyone try this method before? Seems a lot easier than having to deal with netting.

I’m useing it over blueberries. It could be a coincidence, but seems to be working. I heard keeping it taught is good. I often see rice farmers here using it.

1 Like

The catbirds this year are getting through everything. It’s unreal. I’ll try just about anything.

Don’t know about birds but a couple of strands of fishing string have finally kept the deer out of my fruit trees. Wife watched a large buck graze on the grass until it bumped into the string. Backed up, moved downhill a few feet, grazed and bumped into again… Kept doing that 4 or 5 times until it was around the corner. We this year did the same thing for her daylilies and zero deer damage so far. Anyway, birds, didn’t I read recently that blueberry and cherry farmers have started spraying on regular sugar water? Something about birds (other than hummingbirds) not being able to digest Sucrose?