Apple Experiences 2016

Not much for me to report, only two of my apples set this year. All are young.

Zestar! - Picked 8/01 -8/07. Good sweet/tart balance. Stores at least 4 weeks. The ripest apples have a brown sugar flavor to them. Some apples have a cherry/fruit flavor akin to Sweet 16. It appears to have avoided any sooty blotch or flyspeck diseases for me by virtue of being too early for them. Those diseases started showing up here in my orchard after about Aug 20. No brix measurement. The tree wants to grow fairly upright, and is very vigorous on M.7 roots. It could have carried a much larger crop than it did - about 17 apples. But it blooms very early and I’m sure I lost fruit to our late freeze. The early blooming will be a problem for my location.

Liberty - Picked between 9/20 and 10/2. So-so at harvest. Fairly acid, 13 brix +/- 1 brix. Improved after storage 4-5 weeks. The flavor is more vinous after storage. (I need to re-measure brix after storage) Nice crop for a 3 year tree - 8-9 lbs. G.935. Good fruit set. Thinned heavily. Less vigor than M.7 trees. Looks like fruiting calmed it down some too.

Other non-bearing trees observations.

Harrison - 2 trees on M7. 2 years old. Moderate vigor. Upright growers. Not too many spurs out there for 2017.
Enterprise M.7 roots. Lots of blind wood. 3 year old.
Kidds Orange Red Vigorous on G.11/M111. Screwed up by pruning fail. All vertical growth. 3 years old.
Dabinett G.222. Runt. Maybe 2" of growth. Not dead but not happy either. 2 years old
Suncrisp G.890. Vigorous. Nice branch angles after training. Curled leaves most summer. 2 years old.
Harry Masters Jersey G.202. Nice branch angles. Moderate vigor. 2 years old.
Brown’s Apple B.9. As expected, not nearly as much vigor due to rootstock. Happy enough tree. 2 years old.

How did you like Bardsey?

I have only 4 apple trees on M26. They grow fine but I wish that I chose a bit more vigorous rootstock. The funny (or possibly sad) thing is that 3 out of 4 apples happened to be the wrong varieties. All of them were bought within two years from Raintree nursery. All the other stone trees from Raintree looks like they are true to the name, but apples… I feel like they sell the third party trees.
Anyway, here is review.
Zestar! Had a few first apples this year. They ripened in the third and fourth weeks of July. Nice sweet juicy apple, it reminded me of grocery apples, meaning good but without anything very special. This apple is the only one which is the true to the name.
Not Shizuka apple. This is very good early russeted apple. Ripened first and second weeks of August. Small apples are not very showy, but they are very sweet with firm dry flesh and nutty flavor. It seems like they will keep good, although they were eaten too fast to prove it. I could not identify the variety. There are many similar apples but something is always do not fit into the description.

Not Belmac apple. This one does not match to the description either. Ripened first two weeks of September. The apples are kind of pink with some russeting. Intense sweet and acidic. Greenish firm flesh, but not juicy or crunchy. What it might be?

Not Bella Resista apple. This one was easy to identify. It was Granny Smith. Late juicy tart. Not bad apple but I would not want the whole tree of them.

I have many newly grafted varieties which are too small to fruit.

1 Like

Yikes,

3 out of 4 mislabels? Tisk tisk, Raintree.

I think the uncommon weather this summer accounted for some oddities in my apple crop.

For the first time ever, I picked Earliblaze that although ready and ripe, were mealy right off the tree. Nice looking apples, but neither flavor or texture were worthy of keeping. We had some extreme heat for a prolonged period in June, and zero rain…

McIntosh reliably cropped well, flavor (and aroma) was only average or below a tad this year. Some years they are just exceptional, but not so much this year, Still probably our favorite all purpose apple.

Haralson puts on nice deep red, fairly large round apples that seem to be even too hard for most birds to mess with, and hardly an insect for that matter. (They keep forever. We had some from last year that we used up until April). They also don’t want to come off the tree very easy. Often I’ll harvest lower branch apples that have deer teeth marks on them. Probably about half of the apples I harvest from this tree will have some bleeding of the skin into the flesh, and those red streaked slices look kinda nice. I don’t really care for the flavor (or lack of flavor IMHO) I think there are a ton of better tasting apples. Still, we have friends and family that love them. (good thing…)

My Empire tree did an outstanding job this year, producing a bunch of medium to large size really deep red VERY tasty apples. I only wish I had more left! Some of these apples however had water core this year, (I have no idea why or what causes it, will have to research it I think) but it seemed to have no affect on taste. This apple has parentage of McIntosh & Delicious (I do not believe it’s Red Del, but rather just Delicious - I think?). Anyway, it has really impressed me this year.

I’m looking forward to a more normal summer next year…

I already wrote this up in my yearly summary (My Backyard planting experience (Part 2) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Canada - #11 by hungryfrozencanuck4b) but will cross post it here without photos for those who have interest in Zone 4b (Quebec, Canada).

I only got 4 types of apples this year but looking at bud development I hope to have many more types to taste next year.

We had our first frost October 10 with 4 more nights of frost that same week.

From early to late:

Redfree: I only had 3 of these apples. In august they had not fully changed color and did not release easily so I left longer. First I picked September 2 and the seeds were just starting to turn brown. 90g. 12 Brix. Tasting note: Very crisp. Mild apple flavour. More acid than sweet but not puckering (eg. still sweeter than mcintosh). I liked it. I finally picked the other two on September 11. One apple was fully red, sweet but softer and borderline mealy. 14 brix. I believe it was over-ripe. The 2nd apple had some green to it, was crisp with a nice balance of sweet and acid. 12 brix. With only 2 apples I really could not comment much on them. From this experience I would say Redfree ripening date this years was 2nd week of September after hand pollinating May 24 (110 days)

Crimson Crisp: I only had 2 of these apples. They are supposed to ripen late September into October but I picked one on September 15 because it was mostly red and released easily. The seeds were all brown. Apple looks a bit like a small red delicious. 126g. It was VERY dense and slightly sour. I picked the second apple September 24. It was now fully red. 95g. Very sweet at 14 brix with very little acid and yet extremely crisp and crunchy with a very nice flavour reminiscent of a good red delicious. I am looking forward to having more next year! From this experience I would say Crimson crisp ripening date this years was 4th week of September after hand pollinating May 24 (123 days)

Liberty: This was my main apple producer this year. It is a tiny tree – I think on M27 as it tops out around 6 feet. Covered in apples. I only bagged about half to see the difference between protected and non-protected and there is a huge difference. Non protected were occasionally ½ the size, malformed and with some bad cracking and bug damage. First apple tasted was a windfall on September 4 and was sour. Picked again September 21 but seeds still not brown. 11 brix. Dry, not juicy. Tangy. Picked again September 30 and now it was crisper and jucy but still very tart and some seeds were dark but others light. 12 brix. October 10 I picked more. The ziplock protected apples were darker red, crisp, jucy and sweet. The organza protected apples were slightly less red, softer and sweeter. October 11 picked again and the Ziploc was more red, less crisp and very sweet. The organza protected apple was less red, some skin damage a bit more acid. On the 11th both were 15 brix. I trimmed an unprotected apple that was damaged and still had some green and it was very crisp and nice balance of sweet and tang. From this experience I would say Liberty ripening date this years was 2nd week of October after hand pollinating May 24 (140 days)

Macfree: I only had 2 apples. My first apple I picked October 13. Pretty apple. Striated skin but the “green” is less green than Liberty but more a golden yellow/brown. 100g. 14 brix. Tasting sweeter with less acid than Liberty. Softer and less crisp than Liberty, a bit more like a McIntosh you get from the store. Flavour difficult to describe. Inoffensive, pleasing and pleasant. Ate alternating slice by slice with Liberty in combination with a sharp cheese and both were delicious. Different enough in flavour profile and texture that you could grow both. I think people who like slightly tart apples would prefer Liberty for the taste and crispness. 2nd apple was 153g and I picked October 14.

From this experience I would say Macfree ripening date this years was 2nd week of October after hand pollinating May 24 (140 days)

For next year I hope to have some of the following apples to taste.
Ashmead’s Kernel Apple
Calville Blanc Apple
Egremont Russet Apple
Enterprise Apple
Fireside Apple
Goldrush Apple
M360 Apple
Norkent Apple
Prairie Sensation Apple
Pristine Apple
Williams Pride Apple
Wolf River Apple

1 Like

My answer to this years crop is not good. Late frost and squirrels. What the frost didn’t kill the squirrels ate. They ate through bagged and netted apples. We had no water this summer. Guess I should have left out a bucket of water with sunflower seeds floating on top!

1 Like

No apples to speak of here this year

This is the second year of fruit on Bardsey. One must thin to a single fruit per spur due to short stem. Last year I had two on a spur and they both shook off in a wind a few weeks before becoming fully ripe. They were just fine at the end of September, as was one more on a tip. Juicy, sweet and tart, light lemon scent, nice to bite into, rather like Honeycrisp in texture and lightness of flesh - not dense, like Sturmer Pippin. The massive 3 x 3 inch single fruit this year still weighed just less than 8 ounces. The tree is problem free and drought tolerant, even more so than Sturmer, which is noted to do well with heat and light. Both Sturmer and Bardsey are partially self-fertile, blooming mid season and early-mid, respectively. Raintree is the only source for Bardsey so far. Mine came on M26, which is good in the sandy soil here
Sturmer stands on Gen30, a cleft graft I made in 2012
BTW, I have ordered 5 apples, four blueberries, three black currants and a sour cherry from Raintree and all were just as expected. No ID problems. Well, come to think of it, a blueberry died immediately and they cheerfully replaced it.

1 Like

none for me this year. The 4 I have are only about 2 years old, one of them is less, the Anna and I’m not sure that one is going to make it. Recently ordered two new varieties to try that are supposed to arrive on Monday, one is a Joy and the other is a Big River apple.

So you prefer Ginger Gold to Zestar. Hmmm, these things are so subjective. I think Ginger good is quite good but not particularly distinctive and that Zestar is exceptionally good and not like any apple I can buy at some grocery store in its season. I prefer its texture to G. Gold and it has a bit more acid snap. Then there is the question of location and NY compared to Maryland.

There is a cautionary element in our different evaluations for the beginner. Don’t rely on any single guru, but if someone with experience with a wide rang of apples likes a few apples you know and like, the hints may be of use.

One unusual aspect of Ginger G. is its weedy growth habit. Hard to maintain a central leader tree with it as the branches just want to head to the ground. It is the perfect specimen to train a tree to a mushroom shape with a high trunk, 3 scaffolds that weep as low as you want to pick. Makes pruning very easy, but probably doesn’t produce the largest possible apples.

The problem I have with GG growth is I can’t get it above my deer – I am seeing the same drooping issue. I even tied the limbs up on a stake and it still is drooping too much. It still produces very large apples, and if it were not for the deer it would be perfectly OK.

Re: GG vs Zestar, I have had too little experience with Zestar myself, only one year in my orchard. I also bought a bushel this year from a local orchard. The ones in my orchard were very “fruity” but not all that interesting otherwise. The ones I bought had been in storage a bit too long; most were OK but a few were really good and sounding more like the ones you get. GG is from VA and Zestar is from MN, there could be a climate dimension to the difference.

1 Like

I manage one GG to a weep. The branches start at about 14 feet and weep all they way to the ground with apples from top to bottom. The fruit is certainly big enough- I haven’t actually tested to compare, but tend to expect apples bellow upright shoots to be better quality.

As far as Zestar, last year was pretty darn hot and Zestar ripened in that heat but was an exceptional apple as usual, but I have only eaten them off the tree. As I often say, I don’t focus on apples until mid-Oct. I will browse more Zestars than GG;s though.

One nice thing about Ginger Gold you didn’t mention was that they are good well before they are technically ripe, so the harvest is really quite long- like 6 weeks with the last apples becoming almost syrupy sweet but still crisp.

Ginger Gold is a nice early apple here. But it has to be picked while skin is still half green or they turn to mush. Nothing I’d want to store. Harvest is in late July to early August.

I did have a few late apples this yr. Due to our low chilling GG blooms into July. Some of that late bloom sets without seeds. Those apples stayed hard until October this yr. They are small but firm and sweet. A nice late treat.

My tree on M26 is about 8ft tall and 15ft wide. With weeping branches. Hard to train so I don’t. Just keep cutting off the lowest branches.

1 Like

Not the best year by any means for us, probably the worst actually since we started selling apples, but still had some fruit. My wife says I have a tendency to go on forever when talking about apples so I will just limit this to a few varieties starting at the top of the list alphabetically and not picking everyone that had fruit.

Adam’s Pearmain (England 1826) - when I started with growing fruit I created a web page with apples in different categories and one of them is Pearmain apples. Supposedly pearmain apples have a similar shape and or flavor. Nope, not true. This one is a good apple, not the best producer volume wise, but reliable every year. Medium sized late season red striped fruit that is juicy and sweet.

Airlie Red Flesh (Oregon 1960’s or 1970’s?) (aka Hidden Rose and Mountain Rose) - this variety was the second or third red flesh one I grafted and I am now up to almost 200 different red or pink or orange flesh varieties. Still in the top five for red flesh varieties for me, bears heavily and reliably every year. A nice tasting medium sized greenish yellow fruit with pink flesh with a nice sweet tart taste. Found by Bill Schultz who also found Bill’s Red Flesh (now marketed as Scarlet Surprise).

Akero (Sweden mid 1700’s) - one of my favorites and a great tasting late summer variety. Striking appearance, pink flush with red stripes over a yellow base. The fruits are juicy and sweet with a very unique flavor. We eat them fresh for the most part but one year I did mix them with Gravenstein and Summer Rambo for a summer mix cider.

Alaska (California 1930’s) - an Albert Etter developed variety, large, juicy and tasty and one of the palest apples we grow, on the shady side of the tree the fruit looks almost white. I like to use this one if my apple presentations and put it next to Black Oxford for color comparison.

Binet Violet (France) - Bittersweet cider variety. I call this the lazy man’s apple, it barely grows and barely fruits but is great for cider. Small fruit that is reddish purplish with thin russet stripes.

Blue Pearmain (Massachusetts pre 1800) - A unique bluish bloom over dark purplish skin. Crisp, tender, fine-grained yellowish flesh with rich and mildly tart flavor. Orchardists describe the Blue Pearmain as “heavy in hand” (dense) referring to the noticeably higher specific gravity. One of my favorites and someone at one our tastings described is as having “rosewater” flavor. Just such a shy bearer for us but the last couple of years I have grafted more trees of this variety to make up for that.

Brownlee’s Russet (England 1848) - Medium size late season fruit that is crisp and juicy with a rich sweet sharp acid drop flavor. Greenish gold, flushed orange, with fine russeting. Another one of my favorites with a taste signature similar to Court of Wick and Ashmead’s Kernal.

Calville Blanc d’Hiver (France 1598) - A favorite of King Louis XIVth, large, late, greenish yellow apple with bumps and ridges, good, strong, rich taste. More vitamin C than oranges, The cream colored flesh is rich and sweet, yet tart at the same time. I had an old neighbor one time come over and while standing by one of these trees say to me that those apples are so ugly why do you grow them? I told him to wait until they are ripe and then come taste them. He was hooked once he did that .

Claygate Pearmain (England early 1800’s) - For us this variety is always an “ugly” apple but as we tell people we grow apples for taste not looks and this, unfortunately, shy bearer is a great taster. Medium size fruit ripens mid season and is juicy and crisp with a tangy flavor initially but become sweet, rich and nutty when stored. Dull red with russetting.

Coe’s Golden Drop (England 1700’s) - Another variety with what is described as acid drop flavor. Late season, medium sized yellow fruit with crmson blush and small patches of thin russet. Delicious fruit has greenish flesh that is firm, crisp, very juicy, brisk and vinous.

Just some of the over 1,000 varieties we grow at our Hocking Hills Orchard. Now what will happen when I start having thousands of trees having full production of fruit? I will need to open a store!

7 Likes

Hi derek,
I see that you have Etter’s Alaska. Do you also grow his Katharine?

If you do, could you please comment on this variety?

Thanks a ton for the write up Scott! What were your top 5 apples for flavor and disease resistance? I may have to add Ginger Gold to my orchard after reading your write up.

Gee, Here is my current list which keeps changing.

1)	Gold Rush (but prone to biennial and CAR)
2)	Rubinette (but somewhat prone to rots and not completely consistent year to year)	
3)	Hooples Antique Gold
4)	Kidds Orange Red (but highly prone to biennial)
5)	Pomme Gris
6)	Mutsu
7)	Blenheim Orange
8)	Reine des Reinettes
9)	Rambour d’Hiver (the most bulletproof award)

Note it would not be a good idea to just get the top ones, there are far too many Golden Delicious related apples on this list and would get a bit old.

Summer apples are all inferior to the above but here is my current list of the top ones there:

1)	Ginger Gold
2)	Cherryville Black
3)	Primate
2 Likes

I’m a fan of Mutsu, although sometimes they’re a bit too large for me. I recently tried my first Shizuka. It has the same parentage as Mutsu, a similar flavor, but is a little more one dimensional by being sweet without the full compliment of acidity. Still very good though.

I tasted Shizuka side by side with Mutsu last week and came to the same conclusion. I also agree its too big for my liking. But Mutsu has a really fantastic flavor when well grown.