Apple Jack

Who has made it? Who has consumed it? Who has consumed it in copious amounts :yum:?

http://eckraus.com/how-to-make-applejack/

That sounds good, may have to try that

The breakfast cereal of the same name is still being produced.

My son in law brought some apple crown royal to our bonfire tonight, if apple jack taste anything like that, I would like it

I donā€™t like the taste of spirits, but I experimented with concentrating some of my homebrew hard cider with freezing and straining out ice. I use it for aftershave.

I have read that freeze distilled spirits give you a terrible hangover because the process does not take out some undesirable elements like distilling does. No personal experience with it though. If you want quality distilled cider, the thing to look at is Calvados.

1 Like

I can attest to the terrible hangover from apple jack :persevere:

2 Likes

the freeze-distillation hangover thing is a sort of half-myth:

It doesnā€™t let you clear out the tip and tail of the distillate and focus on the "good stuff, this is true.

That said, it also doesnā€™t MAKE toxinsā€¦if you cryodistilled a 10% abv apple wine into a 30% abv applejack, drinking a full 750-ml bottle would likely make you sick, but no sicker than if you had chosen to drink the 3 bottles of 10% wineā€¦I often wonder if a lot of the talk about it being a hangover magnet (and the same discussion comes up for eisbock) and the sort of special powers attributed to it come more from the ease of over-indulgence, as the only way thereā€™s ā€œmoreā€ poison is if you just drink a greater quantity of it, or the small shift in actual water volume (but Iā€™m not convinced that the volume of water makes much difference, or everyone could just have a glass of water with their applejackā€¦)

i make it every winter. how strong it gets depends on how cold it gets. in winters where we get some -35f i can get it up to 70-80proof! stuffs wicked dangerous! i drink it strait over ice but tend to overindulge! much better mixed with canada dry and safer for your head! gave at fifth to a friend and forgot to remind him to mix it . well he was a hurting unit the next day! goes down real smooth. i put cinnamon and vanilla in mine.

1 Like

Lairdā€™s Apple Jack was a Christmas tradition in my family. These folks had the first commercial distillery in the US, but I believe their products are now distilled rather than ā€œfreeze distilledā€. The product is currently made in a distillery close to Charlottesville, VA using Virginia apples.

1 Like

Is it possible to make your own apple jack via distillation (as opposed to freeze distillation) without buying a bunch of expensive chemistry equipment? Has anybody done this?

If you have a still! I saw some fabulous stainless stills last week for about $300. They may be legal in Colorado where they are manufactured, but they send people to jail for making liquor in my state!

Here is a description of some formulations of ā€œApple Jackā€

http://www.lairdandcompany.com/pdf/appleproducts/2005-Laird%20apple%20products%20sell%20sheet.pdf

1 Like

i think its more because its sweet and goes down smooth without diluting it. if mixed with ginger ale in moderation its fine. whisky gives me just as much hangover as applejack does and its distilled. everything in moderation. gong to start a batch after christmas. should be cold enough by then.