Apple Pear in Costco

I bought a package of Apple pear at the Costco a couple of days ago, I have never seen Apple pear before. It’s very good.

The shape of the pear is like an apple, but the color is like pear. The taste and texture of the pear is similar to the pear I got from a Asian grocery store, which is late identified on this site as Korean Giant.

This package of Apple pear is produced in California. I googled Apple pear, it says it’s Asian pear. Anyone here grow it? Does it have anything to do with Apple?

2 Likes

I think you might be talking about Taylor apple pear (nashi/asian pear variety). I think trees of those are sold in Canada and possibly UK and US.

2 Likes

Although I’m not certain, the name is most likely for a marketing advantage. The round shaped Asian pears lends itself to an apple comparison.

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with apple other than possibly shape resemblance and the fact that they tend to be crisp and somewhat hard fleshed. People around here call Asian pears, apple pears, because that is what the grocery store decided to market them as.

1 Like

If you want customers to buy something they are unaccustomed to give it a label that sounds familiar. If you tried to market them as Asian pears many Americans would likely assume it is an ethnic food for Asian immigrants only. Apple-pear is actually a decent description of the fruit and I’ve seen people come up with that name independently of any marketing strategy, when they’ve picked fruit off a tree and tried to describe it to me.

Maybe someone should market a new apple variety as Honeycrisp II.

4 Likes

I’m also sure it is just an Asian Variety. There are probably many out there that get Marketed as apple pear. I know that in the nursery business Nijiseiki AKA 20th century was often sold and marketed as apple pear. Also there is a variety that goes by apple pear that may only be grown in the south I’m not sure and it’s called Garber. Garber is a really unusual pear. I believe its one of the old varieties that were called oriental hybrids. It was green skinned and had a very rounded shape and looked very similar to a Granny Smith apple! To me they were at there best still firm and crisp right off the tree. If allowed to sit for awhile they would eventually soften like Leconte but to me they were better firm. I still dont know why I don’t here more about this variety among southern growers.

Drew

2 Likes

Yea they’re just Asian pears. We sold them at the nursery last year. There are about 3 different ones I know of and are sold under the correct name here so there’s no mystery. But selling them at Costco out of all places as apple pears, oh America!

2 Likes

I saw them yesterday, they are just Asian Pears. They market them as Apple Pears so they seem less exotic to unadventurous American consumers.

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I learned a lot. I didn’t know you can just make up a name for marketing purpose😞
Regardless what it is called, it tastes very good.

Here are a couple of pictures of this apple pear.

2 Likes

Looks like Korean Giant. Very nice flavored Asian pear.

1 Like

KG was my first thoughts also.

Nothing is as falsely advertised as the Grapple that appeared on shelves about 10 years ago. I don’t know how many people I know bragged about eating a fruit that was a cross between apple and grape!. Turned out to be apples that were soaked in grape juice and sold as ”grapples".

4 Likes

Oh man, my coworker just bought those the other day (we talk fruit a lot). He asked me what they were, I told him Fuji apples infused with grape.

He ate one and was disgusted. I’ve never had an interest, anything that smells that strong can’t be good.

1 Like

I saw them in Hmart market.

1 Like

How do they taste?

We used to buy them because they looked delicious. The ones we bought were juicy but not sweet enough. Looked good, tasted so, so. So I stop buying them. Growing my own, I get better quality products.

2 Likes

It’s taste like Asian pear to me just a little more crispy and the fruit shape looks like half apple haft pear.

1 Like

I think some people call Asian pears, apple pears. They are one and the same fruit.

2 Likes

Yes they are Asian pear, but surprising me because too expensive $3 for each. Most of the time Asian markets prices alway lower. I bought only one for tasting.

1 Like