Apple tree suggestions

Yes, I’ve driven through Derby CT, but I was under the mistaken impression that Derby 42 was also located in that state, and fruit advice is very regional. Who knows, maybe Enterprise has a thinner skin and is a better apple in the southern mid-west.

1 Like

Crimson crisp hasn’t wowed me, it an okay Apple, but I think that time of year I have others that are better to choose from. Topaz sounds right up my alley for taste. I only have Arkansas Black, Granny Smith and Enterprise so thats what I’m appreciating. Definitely better apples out there.

If you are looking for an easy apple, I’m putting my vote in for Enterprise. It’s not my favorite apple by any measure. However, after 5 years of harvests, I can say it’s almost no trouble at all, with no spray for any disease or pest, and it’s consistently good. It does have some thicker skin, but the flavor is significantly better than Crimson Crisp when both are grown locally here in 7b. Of course the more I learn, the more I think so much does depend on where something is grown.

3 Likes

It seems to me the skin is alright after a month in the fridge. Off of the tree I tend not to eat the skin.

I too have Enterprise. It was very slow to fruit for me, actually, it has taken close to nine years and just this summer I had a decent crop. The taste is excellent, after spending about a month is the fridge is right. But it has such a thick skin you must peel it. Mine are only medium to small in size after serious thinning. They are almost half the size of my Pristines. My tree did get a bit of CAR this past summer for the first time. But it was mild.

2 Likes

Bramley on seedling rootstock

I think Enterprise might be a November / October apple but can someone confirm that?

I value your opinion Alan so I’m glad you brought up the other varieties. Was not aware of them at all. My goal and likely many other peoples is to reach a very low amount of spray in our fruit growing program. Thank you

This is a very good thread, and I’m enjoying all the comments and sitting here pondering and thinking. I like doing that. I really dig it, and thank you all for entertainment and learning that I’d be happy to pay for. Yet it’s free. I’m glad to have met all you folks who are as goofy as me. I mean that in a good way.

2 Likes

I haven’t stored Enteriprise, or C Crisp or Topaz. I’m only talking about taste off the tree. If I wanted to pick apples in Nov I’d stick with Goldrush and maybe Pink Lady. At least give Goldrush a try as time and again people have suddenly announced to me that it is “the best apple I’ve ever tasted”. It is still crunchy on the tree when others have become soft and it is now Dec 11 and I’m still picking them off a random nursery tree, barely sprayed and delicious. It’s been cold enough to kill off my lettuce- about 20 degrees on several nights.

Strangely, the Ark Blacks are soft outside. But that would be a choice I’d make over Enterprize off the tree. Both have some resistance to PC here and AB fruits much younger.

Yes Goldrush would be one of the best ones to plant. Had to take the last ones out of my apple draw in the fridge so the wife and kids wouldn’t eat them. My only problems with them is with my low spray they get sooty blotch and flyspeck pretty badly.

1 Like

But I can’t seem to taste sooty blotch or flyspeck. Just glad it isn’t actually “flyspeck” - that would be hard to eat even if it was tasteless.

2 Likes

My kids have even gotten tough about eating them without me cleaning off the sooty altogether. Doesn’t bother me one bit,

In case anyone wants to see the parentage or disease resistance that Enterprise has to offer Enterprise . The patent looks old enough it either should be expiring soon or is. They expire after 20 years. I’m not sure if a trademark name is involved. The apple has a complex pedigree so a lot of time and money went in to that apple. Its not a chance seedling.

Great thread you have going here, I am really learning a lot , one of the things I love about this forum.

It is a mid to late oct. apple for me. Not November

You zone 7 correct? So if I am zone6 do you think it would push it to early November?

Thanks Mrsg47 it looks like the patent as I mentioned is expired or close to it http://www.freepatentsonline.com/PP09193.html. They filed it under name Co-op 30. The report I found matches what you said on ripening time
"Maturity season: October 17 to 25 at West Lafayette, Ind.; two and one half weeks after Delicious.

Keeping quality: Superior; retains quality and texture 6 months or more at 1° C.

Use: Winter dessert apple, appropriate for medium and long term storage.
"

Clarkinks, the best thing about the apple is that it tastes good. It is juicy and very crisp. There is a ‘floral’ sweetness to it that is really good. Just my taste, though, no rule of thumb.

1 Like

Derby,
It looks like the enterprise apple came from zone 5b in Lafayette http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#. So you can almost set your watch by October 17 to 25 in your zone. We are technically 5b/6a in this part of Kansas so it is a perfect fit for us.

1 Like