Apple tree suggestions

It’s a reliable tree, at least in coastal California. Unfortunately, I cannot add any Mid-Atlantic experience.

Derby,
How is this project coming a long? Black Oxford sounds like a good one to me based on descriptions but so many other great apples were mentioned. Considering planting one. It’s hard to narrow things down to one tree but based off another post goldrush is going to be an apple I add more of. I have one or two GR already.

1 Like

my cabin apple tree project has hit a few bumps this year. I did not transplant a seedling to the cabin sight but I did take an m111 over and plant it. Knowing that this was going in deer country I prepared a cage made of welded wire. The day I drove over to plant it I forgot the cage…that was a big mistake. I planted the tree and watered it. I figured that the deer would not bother the little stick with no leaves. I returned the following weekend with the cage and found that an armadillo, no doubt attracted by the freshly watered earth, had dug up the tree and left it drying in the sun. I planted it back but it did not live. Maybe I will try a seedling this fall or early next spring. I left the cage in place.

1 Like

Derby,
Sorry to read you had some bad luck. Let me know how things go this year. I replanted a couple of sections 3 times. The deer, rabbits, raccoons etc. have taught me a few things through the years.

1 Like

Well really it was my fault that I failed to take the dang cage with me! It may turn out better for the next tree any way. I left the cage and will stuff some oak leaves in it to kill any sod over the winter and maybe mak a little better planting spot. The ground was so rocky that I struggled to dig a hole deep enough to plant the small rootstock. When I took the rocks out I didn’t have enough dirt left to cover the roots so I picked up a few dry cow chips and mixed it with the dirt. May be a challenge getting a tree established but it’s worth a shot.

1 Like