Apple Trees that never bloom

My father owns 40 acres and has 20 plus apple trees that almost never bloom and if they do bloom its at the most 5 blooms on one or two trees.

I assume it is some deficiency problem - calcium, iron, fertilizer? I am perplexed as I would not expect that many trees just to not bloom. I have read about scoring trees but I would think that would be a one off solution.

Most of the trees are 4 to 8 years old, some came from Lowes, some were grafted onto stock from the forestry - wild apples (I think), I assume full size rootstock. He ordered two from Cummins but they are only a year old. Any suggestions on how to make an Apple Tree bloom?

2 Likes

Bending limbs down got my apples and pears to blooming. This is a link that explains how to proceed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIgTkVW7vk

The video shows how to convert grown up tree , and what about young tree just planted? In other words, what promotes blooming - the bellow horizontal position itself or sudden change in position in grown up tree? It feels like it is much easier to train the young tree to that shape, but will it provide same outcome? Also is “JUST bellow horizontal” essential? Is bending more downward good or bad? With young tree I guess you can do any shape… I am just planting my apples next spring and want to start right :slight_smile: .

1 Like

There are a lot of different opinions on bending limbs but this is how I like to do it. I also pulled down some limbs below horizontal this year just to see how they would respond. Sorry about the rough graphic example.

1 Like

Ok, so bending actually slows down the grows of the limb? This is why you do it in two steps?

1 Like

I think that there is a reaction throughout the tree when limbs are bent downward. My opinion about the first bending is that it will still grow outward but not as fast as if you did not bend it downward. It might even initiate fruit bud formation as some of my pears did. The parts of the tree not bent downward and are higher up will get a surge of growth especially in the early season. From what I have seen pulling the limbs down to horizontal has a reaction that I can’t explain other than to say in most of my cases fruit buds are formed in higher numbers. I don’t know if the total growth is reduced or just transferred to other parts of the tree. These are just my observations and opinions. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Helps a lot, thanks!

I don’t have an answer but I can tell you that apples can bloom at an early age. A 4 way apple on dwarfing rootstock of unknown variety that I planted in the fall bloomed and fruited the following year.

Apple trees on seedling or standard rootstocks can take a long time to bloom. I have an unknown rootstock Honey Crisp that took about 8 years to bloom and fruit.

Your dad bought his trees from Lowe’s(unknown rootstocks) and grafted some on seedlings. That’s could be a reason why they are not ready to produce.

Spreading limbs/branches like Auburn suggested definitely help. I really think that the 8 year old trees are about to bloom soon.

What rootstocks his trees from Cummins are?