Arboreum delivers again! And my first scion wood

So the guy from Arboreum just dropped off my last batch of trees for this year along with a very special treat:

I am literally quivering with excitement about these 2 scions. The Broken Heart wasn’t offered on Arboreum this year (due to budding problems), and the Jordan is a long lost (forgotten?) Luther Burbank plum, which I don’t think many people have, at this point. Or…any people. I need to do some research. I had asked them if they were going to have any rare Burbank plums next year, since they seem to be the keepers of rare plums, and I know Burbank developed over 100 different plums. I had asked about the Gaviota, but he gave me the Jordan, which I’ve never heard of. SO excited.

He also gave me some advice about my Passe Crassane pear and my unbelievably vigorous Inca plum. Seriously, that thing is going wild.

Here’s my last delivery of trees for this year:

Hesse (Weinberger) Plumcot
Spring Ruby Plumcot
Howard’s Miracle Plum
Padre Plum
Des Urbanistes Pear
Cristobalina Cherry
Giant Cherry
Merton Bigarreau Cherry

From here on out, I think I’m going to try to be focusing more on grafting since I’ve got about 30 trees (ok, it’s more than that) planted in high density. I have space for more, but I’m going to be much more selective. I’m going to make space for Luisa for next year…since they’re already sold out at Raintree. And I do try to avoid making impulse buys, especially with trees.

Super pleased with Arboreum! For those of you who haven’t used them, you should look into it. They have unusual (but always delicious) fruit, many of which are long forgotten or have been swept aside by more “commercial” fruit. Plus, their cultivars are always extremely vigorous and healthy.

Phew! So now that I have this, I need to start brushing up on grafting…I’ve never done it, but I’m going to need to do some quick learning! Any tips?

4 Likes

Plummer,
You can take a look at this post and start from there on grafting ideas Top working Pears weather permitting

1 Like

“quivering with excitement”

I know the feeling.

Holding rare genetic material that has the ability to produce the world’s most luscious fruits-- It’s hard not to get excited.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

2 Likes

For plums, cleft grafts and saddle grafts work best. At least that’s been my experience.

1 Like

Thanks, y’all! I’ll look up the different grafts.

I did some research on the Jordan (NO pictures on the web that I’ve found), and apparently the flesh is snow white. All the information I’ve run across, thus far, is very, very old. I think it’s time for me to invest in a book about Luther Burbank.

I will keep you all updated, for sure…it’s a shame the earliest I can have fruit is next year. That is, of course, if I get the graft right.

1 Like

Growing fruit-- one must develop a zen-like patience. You should pursue all opportunity for success; dim your expectations and count on failure; and when you meet with any success, be pleasantly surprised and appreciate every tender morsel of delicious happiness that you get!

2 Likes