Are all domesticated rasps thornless - i have volunteers with thorns

Found some bird planted raspberries. I potted them up, noted small thorns now that they are getting bigger.
Could it be a cultivar or do i have wilds?

1 Like

Not all domesticated raspberries are thornless. It depends on the cultivar. Blackberries are the same way, there are thorned (usually more hardy) and thornless cultivars.

If they are bird-planted then they are at the very least semi-wild. AFAIK, brambles are vegetatively propagated.

3 Likes

Thanks
Im actually hoping for wild or fairly wild - im ok with thorns bc i love the flavor

1 Like

most red raspberries have thorns. there are thornless cultivars, like joan j, but all the wild ones we have here have fine prickles.

1 Like

Also nearly all bird-planted raspberries are black raspberries, which have larger thorns than the prickles on the red ones. I grow both but the birds are only planting black ones in my yard.

1 Like

Birds have planted a few blackberries and tgey are thornless like my Ouachita, so I am assuming they are Ouachita too! My raspberrirs just send out runners!

1 Like

That may be true in more southerly locations, but up here wild black raspberries aren’t all that common. Wild reds are everywhere. Just a bit ago while walking my orchards (and feeding the &*$#ing deer flies) I watched catbirds flitting about and gorging on wild red raspberries.

1 Like

i picked a few bowls of reds along the train tracks near me. they’re small this year due to little rain but the taste was excellent!

2 Likes

Yep, wild reds around here are far more flavorful than my domestics. This is the first year I’ve bothered picking any of them. We had an early dry spell in May and early June, but since then we’ve had timely rains. Many of the wild reds are the size of a small domestic red this year…and they’re still really tasty.

2 Likes

In MD we have a lot of wild black raspberries and some wild blackberries.

2 Likes

What im hoping for, some hardy wild reds

I wont be sad if they r blacks tho

2 Likes

Im going to look at the stems closer later on. See if they look like blacks at all. My first thought was reds but maybe will post a pic of the plants to get input

I love freebies either way. :sunglasses:

Yay Mrs G, gotta love volunteers

1 Like

I fed a horsefly last night. Blood ran all the way into my sock the damn #*+@er

1 Like

Horseflies seem to like legs while deerflies focus on your head and upper torso. Between the two of them, they can sure make summer days less pleasant than they should be.

3 Likes

They sure can!!!
We r about 5-10 min away from the beach plus actual horse neighbors. Rotten bugs
I dont see deer flies here. But now we have the asian tiger skeeters which are evil

1 Like

Black flies love ears and cheeks! Bleuch!

3 Likes

we have the deer and horse flies also but we have one we call a moose fly that 3xs bigger than the 1st 2 mentioned! these things fly away with a chunk of meat in their mouths! like getting shot from a pellet gun! usually around water.

3 Likes

Our wild black rasps have tiny thorns, but our wild blackberries have some nasty long ones. Because of this and their too-sour flavor for me, I don’t care about them, but my wife does. The rasps taste much better, but birds got most of them.

I hate being outside in the evenings, as the the mosquitoes will buzz my head and particularly like to go for my ears. That high pitched whine is maddening! I’ve been devoured by them and chiggers this season. I was pulling out weeds from my caged in trees, and my ankles got it pretty bad. Looks like I have the chicken pox down there.

1 Like

Ive been using the heavy duty hunting repellant. I just cant take all the itching. I put it on my ears - i get u that sound is awful