Ate my first Paw Paw today. it was very good

Sort of like some veggies. Certain squash, asparagus, okra, and a few more hit my gag reflex. I think it’s natures way of avoiding food we shouldn’t eat even though those are eatable. And the basis is probably genetic but could be a learned response.

I just picked some wild pawpaws and took them to work, where no one had ever tried them. The reaction was mixed but extreme in every case and quite fun. Some people thought they were wonderful, while others literally spit them out as if they were on fire! haha. It is interesting to see the mixed responses…everyone was one end of the spectrum or the other (love or hate) and no one was just lukewarm. ha.

3 Likes

These wild paw paws were small compared to some of the pictures I’ve seen of the cultivars.

I saved 5 seeds but after reading the UK seeding tutorial it sound like it’s not that easy due to the long taproot being fragile. I think I might just bury them

Went on a pawpaw hike yesterday, and met with great success. They’re plentiful right now if you know where to look. You can see that a few approach the size of domesticated varieties, but most are much smaller. I like the ones that are turning brown the best; they acquire a bit of a maple syrup flavor.

4 Likes

I know this has been asked 100 times already, but what do pawpaws taste like? I read the other day that they’re related to soursop (guanabana) that grow in tropical climates. Is there anyone on here who has tried both and can comment on the similarities/differences?

I loved soursop when I lived in Venezuela. It’s a great filler for smoothies to get a creamier texture. I always thought they tasted like a natural version of Starburst candy. The texture of soursop is pretty slimy though, I can see why some wouldn’t like it.

1 Like

I haven’t had soursop, so I can’t compare to that. Everybody says mango/banana, but I think the closest flavor is pineapple, with more pineapple taste the softer it becomes. In the background, there’s something of banana/vanilla flavor as well. And whatever turns some of them brown gives it a maple flavor that I really like.

1 Like

I also ate my first paw paw today, having ordered them from Integration Acres. Excellent fruit, good service. I ate a couple, which tasted like melon/pineapple with a little vanilla, but a richer flavor than that description provides. I’ve got some seedlings from England’s orchard seeds that are slow growing. Looks like I’ll be lucky to get two to three feet in two years. I’m jealous @Bigdoug03.

I’m not sure if I did something special or if I just got lucky. We got a tremendous amount of rain this year I think that really helped.

One question I have about pawpaws: Are they able to adapt to some wind? I’m growing them in the most sheltered spot I have, but we are in a pretty windy area. Everything I read stresses they should be grown in “sheltered locations.”

Pawpaw wood is weak and easy to break by strong wind. Strong wind can also knock the immature fruits off the branches.

Tony

Allegheny is my favorite. It has a superior texture and flavor. Texture like custard meets papaya meets avacado. Taste sweeter than most, reminiscent of cantaloupe and bananas. The sometimes funky pawpaw aftertaste is muted in Allegheny. Beautiful orange-yellow color inside. Fruits on the small side, which I prefer. Fruits shaped more like an egg than a potatoe.

Shenandoah is different but another good one. Pale yellow custardy flesh with a mild banana pudding-like flavor. Classic potatoe-like shape. Medium size.

Potomac and PA Golden are okay too.

1 Like

The trees are spindly and can take a stiff wind and bounce back.

You are on the edge of where pawpaws will survive (Zone 6a). If your winter is cold enough (below negative 20 degrees F) it can kill the trees outright, not to mention any seeds trying to germinate. The dessicating winds at exposed locations make it even colder and inhospitable for pawpaws in marginal zones.

I tried planting dozens of seeds at my sister’s place in Zone 6a near the PA/NY border the fall before the terrible winter of 2013/2014. I planted them in optimal spots and conditions. None of them survived or germinated. That winter was just too cold for those little guys to get a toe-hold.

Here is a photo of an Allegheny I ate last month (on Sept 3 to be exact).

Notice what I like to describe as the superior “melon-ball” scoopable texture of this variety!

Lighting is poor; the photo does not properly capture the rich orange-yellow color of the flesh.

3 Likes

I believe “sheltered locations”, as regarding pawpaw has to do more with shade than wind protection.

Water, water water. Pawpaw are bottom land trees.

1 Like

I’m still a bit confused about where to plant my Paw Paw trees. I went ahead and dropped the money to get two that will be 5-6 feet on delivery supposedly this October. I have a spot where i have some Gum trees a nice size Oak and a couple dozen Pines right along a wet area in the middle of my property. I am sure they will like the wetness of the location as it is nearly as wet as where i planted some Weeping willows and the willows are absolutely thriving. They have put 5-7 feet on this year from a three foot tall diseased tree I cut down to the healthy remaining foot and it just went wild. My question is will it be fine if the Paw Paw only get 3-5 hours sun a day? I see everywhere these trees love the shade but then I see they like the sun??? I really don’t want to be involved in transplanting or covering from the sun a 40 dollar tree. Any good guidelines as to sun preference for decent productivity and longevity of the trees?? If i get a good crop i will probably sell some since you almost never see them anywhere for sale I’m sure could get something from the Old fellow down the road with his roadside produce shop. He would most likely sell them first day so they would still be good. Otherwise a smallish crop would be fine for personal consumption. Can you freeze them? Or dehydrate for consumption later?

1 Like

More sun the better for fruit production. You might ask the seller if yours are sun acclimated yet- at that large size I would assume so. It’s weird- their preferred spot in nature- edge or understory- is not where they produce best. Everything about pawpaws is weird, interesting. A great botany project for kids.

3 Likes

I wanted to like pawpaw’s, but…
A friend gave us some. To me they tasted like fruit punch flavored bananas. I made some of them into “banana” bread. It smelled great and tasted good, but no one could stand to eat it. I don’t know why, but it was just gross. Nobody could pin in down and DH even said, “It isn’t bad; I just can’t stand to eat it.”
So I agree, pawpaw’s are just weird.

2 Likes

I really think my ultimate objective is to use the land I have to get something from each part of it that will produce something useful. In some cases as where my Hybrid willows are and will be it is a natural windbreak and somewhat of a hedge. I have a neighbor several acres away and i have no problem with them I just prefer my privacy and i am only going to fence with electric around my good fruit trees. I have planted quite a few and will plant more specific nut trees like i am getting some Beaked Hazelnut, and I have 5 Robinson Crabapple and am going to plant 4 Chestnut trees that will be specifically for wildlife, There is and excellent population of Dove, Quail, Deer and turkey here and i am going to try to kind of naturally bring them in to watch and the right ones at the right time to hunt. I have two Weeping willows specifically for shade near my giant grandfather oaks and they and the Water oaks love my wet areas. I’ve built a few roads back in my deep woods as well that at the end of the roads i am going to plant some more Beaked Hazelnut for Wildlife attraction and it is very shaded back there so these seem to tolerate the wet, shady areas well. I am still considering a few more fruit trees for my full sun areas and have yet to decide what vegetables i will grow. i am not there full time yet so Something painless and carefree will have to do for now. Not sure what that could be yet but i will figure it out. I have two wonderful Grand daughters to whom all of this will most likely be willed to and they seem to be warming up to the ideas i have implemented so far. Of course they will be completely happy when i can be there full time and we can do some chickens, Goats and a few Mules for trail riding…Sorry about the blah,blah,blah…I am a bit excitable when it comes to this…:confused::blush:

2 Likes

My pawpaws will go in full sun. Year one they need to be protected with shade cloth. I may protect them for the first three years. After that like @hambone said, full sun is best.

@Matt_in_Maryland if you ever want seeds from my area please ask. This was once zone 5a. Now I’m right dab smack in the middle of 5b.

@dutch-s yes you may freeze the pulp. People who really like them make smoothies and ice cream from pawpaws. I’m sure I’ve read that frozen pulp stores excellent. If I were you I’d plant them in your wooded areas and in your moist spot with your willows, etc. but only if there is never any standing water. Pawpaws like moist soil that drains well. That’s why in the wild they are most often found on rich soils on hillsides… especially near ravines.

Dax

2 Likes

AWESOME. I have the perfect spot. I say it’ll get 4-5 hours of diffused sun a day and good rich soil that stays moist but up enough to not have standing water. Perfect…

4 Likes

They grow from Ontario to Florida, in sun or shade. The plants seem to prefer dappled shade, but just like a dogwood tree, have more blooms in the sun. (And more fruit.) Ideal seems to be along a little stream running through a farm where all the fencerows and ravines aren’t sprayed with weed killers. (Like the song says “way down yonder in the pawpaw patch”)