Atlantic giant pumpkin seeds

You eat them? I have them and this year they have a lot of fruit.

1 Like

10 Likes

I hope to save a whole bunch of seeds

5 Likes

Two more gallons of fertilizer last night after the rain

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see the final size and weight. Growing a giant pumpkin is something I’ve never considered so been an interesting ride so far reading about your progress.
Keep up the good work.

Anthony

3 Likes

How do you plan to do the final weigh-in?

1 Like

I would like to put it on some real scales somewhere but the logistics of moving a giant pumpkin can be complicated especially if you don’t plan it from the beginning of the season. If it had stopped at five hundred I could have moved it ok . At 700 lbs it’s getting more difficult, we may never know the exact weight but it’s kind of like a fish I caught one time, don’t know exactly what it weighed but it was big :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Yes, I am growing them to eat. I planted last year and some are producing nicely. Rose Hips, are used it lots of products most common herbal tea blends. But you can also make fruit leather, tea, syrup, juice, and jelly with added pectin. The blossom end and seeds have needles that you remove before processing or filter before making juice or jelly. The needles where used to make itching powder. The flower petals can also be used similarly and have a different flavor from the fruit.

2 Likes

What happened to that big square of foam it was sitting on? Maybe you can have someone with a tractor come over and pick it up with a scale? The official weight of it might not be that important but it would be nice to know. There must be a farmer in your area with the needed equipment. Then again it might leave indents on your lawn.

1 Like

Maybe with a strap you could roll it a tad in each direction enough to get straps under it like the old time piano movers. A piece of equipment could lift it. That would be fun for the G-kids to watch and learn a little engineering.
Or, you could roll it onto a skid using straps.
Well, anyway, it makes nice, ‘my grand daddy used to…’ stories.

2 Likes

saw this on Reddit thought it was pretty cool.

10 Likes

The piece of foam is still there you just can’t see it any more, :grin:.

5 Likes

They make special lifting tarps that have straps built in , and you are correct, you roll it to one side and shove the tarp under then roll it back the other way

4 Likes

Do they say what the weight limit is on those tarps?

3 Likes

I don’t know, I haven’t looked at it in much detail.

2 Likes

It likes the cool weather and rain. Estimated weight 745 this afternoon.

4 Likes

I figured it was. I just had to say something about it disappearing!

2 Likes

If it holds up until it is time to collect seeds and remove it you can always weigh all of the pieces.

7 Likes

That’s awesome

2 Likes

Oh no , Charlie has a crack in the blossom end. I patched it with wax , my main concern is for the seeds developing in the seed cavity

3 Likes