AU Cherry Plum

Loving the color!

1 Like

If it continues the Mariana patter, it will probably double in size next year. Please don’t forget me when it comes scion wood time. I would really like an AU Cherry.

1 Like

20190613 AU Cherry Plum ripe. Sweet and good tasting but on the small side. Cherry Plum in size only 1"-1.5".

5 Likes

Where can one acquire this tree? It looks very interesting.

1 Like

I don’t know of any source to order this tree. My tree was purchased locally. I’m assuming that the fruits smaller size is why you don’t see anyone offering it. My initial attraction was it’s perfect disease rating. If you do grafting I could send scions to get you started this winter.

1 Like

Vaughn Nursery carries AU Cherry

http://vaughnnursery.com/plums/

3 Likes

Thanks for adding the link.

1 Like

So did this variety disappear? I got interested reading this old conversation, but I can’t find anyone carrying AU Cherry Plum.

Two questions, do birds treat it like a plum or a cherry (so it requires netting) and does it bear early for a plum? Like in Methely’s season.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Isons has carried it in the past, but not presently. Might be worth an email to see if they could get it. I grafted one on a small rootstock this year but it is only 18"-24"

1 Like

Here is a link for a .pdf on AU Cherry. According to this, it is a mid season plum, about 2 weeks after Methley.

1 Like

No point for me then, too many good, nice sized plums by around that time.

1 Like

My experience is still limited about AU Cherry Plum. I have ripened only a small quantity due to late cold weather which is typical for my location with all my plums and pluots.
-As of now size and taste are similar between AU Cherry and Methley.
-2019: Methley ripened 20190529. AU Cherry ripened 20190613.
-AU Cherry has been a rapid grower on an unknown root.
-AU Cherry will go into the third year in 2020 without any disease issues observed.
-According to AU publications AU Cherry and AU Rosa are the only two of their listings to get a perfect rating.
-My opinion is that AU Cherry and AU Rosa’s best characteristics is the hope of being disease resistant.
-I grafted in AU Rosa in 2019 but it hasn’t fruited yet.

4 Likes

None of the AU series plants are particularly easy to find. In my opinion you are better off getting scion from someone here and grafting them onto a plum rootstock rather than buying a nursery product grafted onto plum. I have come to the conclusion that the peach root stock has the the Alkalies heel to all the hybrid plums that I’ve tried here in SE Georgia. My advice is start with a good improved Chickasaw or Mariana root stock and graft Au Cherry onto it. By the way, so far Sprite or Delight (The person I got if from is no longer sure which it is.) seems to be doing good here so far. It has bloom buds for this year so far. I’m also trying Shiro, and it’s doing OK one year in. I accidentally killed my AU cherry. (Long frustrating story!) But the one I grafted in my cousin’s yard is doing great and I will be grafting from it into my yard this year. I really think this is the way to go with the hybrids.

2 Likes

Has anybody tried growing this one on its own roots? I am interested in AU Rosa for fruit, but could this one show promise as a rootstock? Will it lose the disease resistance on its own roots, or will it pass it on to a scion? I am looking for a low-suckering rootstock for P. angustifolia & peach that will not have an ugly graft union.

1 Like

I had been considering the same thing about growing AU Cherry and AU Rosa on its on roots. My plans are to air layer a couple of limbs this year.

1 Like

I’m still really interested in growing AU Cherry if anyone has any scion available. I have a ton of stone fruit varieties to offer in exchange, although none of them are particularly hard to find.

1 Like

I have AU Cherry, AU Roadside, and AU Amber if anyone is interested in cuttings.

2 Likes

I also have the AU Cherry if wanted.

1 Like

@RobThomas I don’t know how I missed your reply, but thanks. I think Auburn is going to help me out.

2 Likes