Aussie finger lime

survived several sub-freezing temps, and though it lost all its foliage in the ordeal, it seems to be bouncing back with that purple blossom bud(at mid section) that is ready to pop!
looks like it is for keeps after all it has been through. :+1:

6 Likes

Approximately what was the lowest temp that this plant survived?

Thanks.

2 Likes

from what i could trace, it was low 20’s F, so still questionable if we should go down into teens next winter.
we did have a protracted period of sub freezing this winter so it is a good sign of cold tolerance.
kumquats and the variegated cultivar of calamondin are the most cold-tolerant citrus in our experience.

1 Like

Keep in mind that the potted plants will probably get colder then the ones that are in the ground if only because the in ground roots do not have cold winds blowing against them from more than one direction.

1 Like

Was out watering and noticed something funny on my finger lime

What do you think?

Now, how do you know when to pick?

Scott

4 Likes

whoah! You just upped the ante(anew!) with getting another exotica to fruit in michigan. I honestly don’t have any idea when to pick, since i merely picked our finger limes when they got really plump, which probably was a mistake.
you probably should wait until you start worrying about the cold of autumn, since citrus tend to have long shelf-life-on-the-trees anyway.

just my guess of course

2 Likes

survived another brutal summer, and produced more fruits(seen here as tiny dark cucumbers) on its second year, despite apparently deprived of Mg/Mn/Fe, growing on old alkali soil/alkali irrigation and competing with weeds on that little pot.

that it still fruited in abandoned, scant conditions sure indicates more growth and production as soon as plant it in-ground with lots of mulch/compost.

5 Likes

i am going to try a few crosses of aussie finger lime with yuzu

2 Likes

nice-- wishing you success, and keep us posted :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Got this one early in May from Four wind growers, it’s about a foot and a half tall and loaded with buds and baby finger limes, thinking I should thin it out there’s at least 30 buds and a good 30 or 40 baby lime

5 Likes

your aussie finger lime looks way more promising than mine. Ours survived at least 2 summers and 2 winters, which is good news. If only it weren’t so laggy in growth…

1 Like

I don’t think the 20F and below nights are helping it any, they come from down under so the hot summers would be no problem but from what I read they don’t do well when it gets below 30-32F so maybe bring it in when it dips that low…

1 Like

Every time my finger lime started to bloom this year, it was attacked by ants farming scale. I’ve spent much of the summer fighting the little buggers (how do they even know to farm scale on a tree that is so alien to this climate?)

Its easily as tall as me, so about 5’ 6" and I’ve got it trained to a nice standard umbrella shape.

I got fruit off it last year and they were dark green, almost black outside and white inside. Very sour, but in a good way.

Scott

1 Like

Why not fight the real enemy, scale. If you get rid of the scale the ants will be gone.

When I’ve fought scale on citrus the hard part is getting good coverage with the oil I’ve used. Oil smothers the scale. But a few usually get missed and they keep coming back. Oil and an insecticide can be even better. The systemics work if you want to go that route.

1 Like

am green with envy. Ours don’t have any pests, and will bear some limes, but an absolute laggard in growth and branching out…

1 Like

I’ve done oil (neem and summer) as well as insecticide. What really did the job was a toothbrush followed up byre-applying the oil. If course, using a toothbrush to clean off any citrus is a real labor of love, given the thorns on the smaller branches.

I still want to know how citrus scale found its way to Michigan to infect my finger lime…lol

Scott

1 Like

Send it up here next summer for a while, I’ll get some good growth on it…lol

Scott

2 Likes

was actually thinking about donating it to you!

1 Like

I just got the rare “Purple Bliss” finger lime! :blush:

8 Likes

that is so easy on the eyes @Luisport , keep us posted!

2 Likes