Bacterial Spot in Peaches

I’m noticing bacterial spot on my peach tree. No fruit on the tree now. I’m thinking about spraying with immunox now. Thoughts on this? Is there a point to it this late in the season? Will it prevent it for next year?

1 Like

A fungicide is no use against a bacterial infection. I suggest copper. I’d wait until spring just because you will be spraying then anyway and you need to protect the trees not knock out the bacteria from the leaves currently infected, but fall does work for PLC so I’m not sure if it will be helpful or not. Search it up.

1 Like

Thank you. I sprayed copper twice this spring. Kocide 3000. it’s better compared to past but still got holes in the leaves.

1 Like

You can get a soap formulation and do a couple more sprays.

2 Likes

I went ahead and sprayed Bonide copper soap which is recommended for using during growing season. I had some leftover from last year. That’s the copper I started out with before I decided to buy Kocide since the forum mentions it a lot. Anyway, as I was wrapping up my spray I realized the holes may not be due to bacterial spot. It may have been copper injury! What I failed to mention (because I didn’t notice this before today) was that all the younger growth is clean. No holes. I was freaking out about bacterial spot that I think I sprayed Bonide copper some time in May/June. That may have caused the injury. I probably made it worse. Live n learn!

2 Likes

Is the Bonide not a soap? Kocide may cause injury but I’m sure the soap would be fine- I use it on tomatoes and apricots in full leaf.

2 Likes

Susu,

You’ve probably seen this link, but it shows the differences b/t copper injury and bac. spot on the leaves. The holes are more round for copper injury. Also copper won’t injure the fruit on peaches, whereas bac. spot will produce some spotty peaches (be aware scab will also produce spotty peaches, which affects much of backyard peach fruit).

Lastly, if you used Captan, it can produce some holes in peach leaves, although I don’t see that problem here.

3 Likes

Mycoshield which is actually an antibiotic works for me here in 7a
Every 2 weeks or so mid July to mid Sept The Winblo’s and O’ Henry’s
I have are especially susceptable

2 Likes

So my two established peach trees, sprayed with Cooper in Feb and myclobutanil a few weeks ago), are doing fine. My newest one (which was also sprayed) now has the same spotting the first trees had last year. When this happened last time and I did nothing, it wiped out nearly every leaf on the tree. I was actually surprised when the tree bounced back this season. A plum that was similarly affected ended up dying.

I used Chlorothalonil last year at the recommendation of a local nursery. It worked, though I didn’t realize I should reapply so it was a temporary fix. The plums were affected by the same issue.

I now have Kocide 3000, Immunox myclobutanil, and the Chlorothalonil at my disposal, with NuFilm for sticking.

What would be the best to use? None of the trees will be producing fruit this year, I want to maximize growth.

Thanks!