Bamboo

Arundo Donax is definitely hardy in zone 6. I’ve got clump in its 5th year. Pretty thing the variegated one. My neighbor’s thing I’ve got 12 foot tall striped corn growing.

Scott

1 Like

This is pictures of what I have growing. I don’t know if it’s real bamboo or not.

2 Likes

I think they called Pseudosasa japonica “Japanese Arrow” .

They look like Japanese Arrow bamboo to me.

1 Like

I looked it up and I agree. Must be another bird transplant. It wasn’t there until this year.

1 Like

Bamboo rarely seeds, and seedlings do not take off that fast, its just something you hadn’t noticed yet.

1 Like

Good info. I didn’t know that. And your right. It could very well be the case I never noticed them before.

@tonyOmahaz5,
How’s your bamboo project doing? I believe you planted yours in ground.

I covered them with grass clippings for winter protection. They were fairly small and died back to the ground level with the -20F. They are now st 3 feet tall. How long did it take yours to grow that big?

4 years. The first year we planted 4 clumps at about 3 ft spacing. We did not cover them but my zone is a bit warmer than yours.

By year 3, they took off. Year 4 they spread quickly. The first 4 years we had winters that were not harsh. During mild winters, bamboo stayed green with little dieback. However, when winter is harsh like with subzero temp, all leaves turned brown. Several canes died.

New shoots always come up. After several years, we had a lot of diebacks that needed to be removed. We just spent 3 days removing nearly 100 dead canes. So, don’t wait too long to remove dead bamboo. It was a lot of work. We will remove dead canes yearly from now on.

Here’s what the grove looks like after clean up.

2 Likes

Here are mine 2 clumps starting 2 nd leaf and the roots survived the -20F. I hit them with Urea Nitrogen 46-0-0 every ten days to get them going fast.

Tony

What is the variety ?

I am not sure. @aap traded with me.

Best variety is the free one :smile:

2 Likes