Banner year for paw paws

@tjasko That’s a great tip about planting two different varieties or seedlings in same hole. Pollination on my two ten year old trees (20 ft apart) is still poor to very poor even though I hang catfish stink bait. I’ve grafted three new varieties into each tree over last three years but the grafts just starting to bloom.

Hambone, my trees are right on top of each other. They started off at least 10-15 years ago as 4 or 5 tiny seedlings and now have grown to at least 25 in an area. With that said… my production has been miserable. I have only seen maybe one year of an actual cluster of fruit and that cluster was gone after I came back from vacation. Not sure who to blame the thievery on.

So I am hoping my grafting will help with fertilization/pollination in the future.

Bob- All a mystery to me. I’ll just keep grafting in more varieties. Steve

I have seen mixed results on precocity on my pawpaws. Some are taking nearly forever - Overleese I planted in 2003 and its still not fruiting much yet. They are all growing into each other so there is no proximity problem for pollination.

Has anyone tried bark ringing a pawpaw tree to induce blossoming?
Does pawpaw blossoming equal maturity? Or can a tree blossom, get pollinated and yet still be too young, immature to hold fruit?

The best way to get blossom in the same year or the following year is to get the scion wood with flower buds on them. I do bark and cleft grafts on my pawpaws and get fruit the following year. Just make sure your scions had buds on them when grafting and that will give you fruits way sooner.

Tony

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 Tony- are your scions with flower buds from one year old wood or two year old wood? Seems like I only see flower buds on wood older than last year’s growth.

On older woods. Find the one with the small round buds.

Tony

Thanks. Guess I thought older wood did not graft well but I’ve never tried it- will do so next year.

You are not wrong in my experience with other fruit. The last thing you want is an establishing little graft putting energy into fruit instead of growth. However, I can see how it might be different with paw paws. NTL, it doesn’t take that long for new paw paw wood to fruit on an established tree. I think usually 3 years in my limited experience. It’s not like starting off with a new tree.

1 Like