Be careful what you wish for (Weather, I mean)

During last cold spell that ended up just 3 days ago I was counting days till worm up promised by the Weather man. Now I am ready to cry. Cabbage, radishes, tomatoes - all look like green rags thrown to the ground or hanging from cages… 91F and coming up… I think I will not have any tomatoes this year. They already were stressed a lot by the cold, now they are also fried…

It is OK. We had cold spell and then two hot spells with the temperatures in 90s and dry winds. Tomatoes and peppers looked not so good, but then adjusted and even set first tomatoes. I mulch everything and it seems to reduce stress a lot.

1 Like

for 10 years I garden in this location I never had tomatoes to look that bad… I know, they usually overcome all problems, but looking at them now it is difficult to believe in that.

1 Like

A temp of 91K, eh? And you’re worried about how your tomatoes LOOK? I’m SHOCKED they’re still alive. I’d patent them as an extremely cold-hardy super tomato. They’ll be getting fully ripe tomatoes in the Artic Circle! You’ll make money hand over fist!

(Sorry, just a bit of teasing. I know you didn’t mean 91K, but that’s what you typed, and 91K= -219F). :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

If weather gets crazy, why shouldn’t I? And now, I will do this: I will edit my post, and who will be teased now? :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Our regular summer day temperature is 95 F (and then there are heat waves when we go above 100 F). Tomatoes do fine with regular watering. They adjust as long as they have enough water.

I think the problem is not 91… Problem is, that it was just 38 3 days ago and soil is still 60. Too big difference between air and soil.