Beach plums

I think they need a pollinator.

I just planted “Jersey” from Raintree last month. Author Lee Reich says it’s one of the better tasting Prunus maratima plums, and it has an orchard-friendly growth habit.

Eventually, I plan to graft in “Hancock,” another one reported to be tasty.

“Premier” is also available from Raintree, but reports on its flavor sound disappointing.

Just ordered a couple beach plums from http://www.mandala.farm
The late season producing aspect got my attention.

Not counting my beach plums before they ripen… but things are looking good so far.

4 Likes

Anybody graft beach plum scion onto something else? I have some cuttings in the refrig, that I never did anything with, from a plant I found by the beach. Maybe I’ll find a spot on a plum and try it.

4 Likes

I put beach plum on myrobalan, it took and is going into 2nd year in the nursery row.

4 Likes

Raintree sent me a beach plum on St. Julian roots.

2 Likes

My two Beach plums just arrived. Only about a foot high. I will keep them in pots for a while and see how they do. Kinda look like a small blueberry bush.

1 Like

I got a bunch of beach plum seeds from treeseeds.com, we’ll see how many actually come up but when I do I plan on putting them up on a sandy berm by our house, i’ve been putting my Wilder trees in Wilder locations figuring they can fend for themselves and I’ll harvest what comes (hopefully) and save my limited yard space for a handful of favorites but maybe cultivate some areas that I can semi-wild-forage for additional crew for fresh use, wine, etc. hoping these take as one more wild scrub-plum.

1 Like

Look what I just found:

7 Likes

https://www.1856countrystore.com/product/colonial-preserves-of-cape-cod/

1 Like

I wanted to try the jam… AND the jelly.

http://www.chathamjamandjelly.com/where-to-find-us.html

5 Likes

I’ve got plenty of bushes but there are precious little of the plums. I nearly removed the row a few times because they don’t produce much. Maybe they taste better in other locations because I’m just not understanding why they are so popular. I’ve heard of fights over beach plums in the locations they grow natively which leaves me wondering where I went wrong with mine. If anyone ever had some really good ones maybe I can pick up some scion wood and graft these over.

1 Like

I’ve only tasted fruit from one wild beach plum. I would never call it delicious and some would call it awful but I find them palatable enough to eat a few. Also that particular tree has fruit every year, at least it did the 3 yrs I visited it. I have found others that had no fruit so they may not all fruit yearly. I also noticed that there were no signs of insects or disease.

2 Likes

Traditions run deep with Beach plum bushes and where they are. It’s not my favorite, but some folks love it and go forage for them every 3 years which seems to be their best fruiting. I worked with someone in a kitchen and he would go to his secret spot and get them and also poison ivy. And cook them down and give them out as presents. Many over the counter Beach Plum Jelly usually is fake very little Beach Plum in them.

3 Likes

I swore nothing would get me to buy another plant this season. Then you had to post that link. Great prices and delivery. The owner literally drove to my house and dropped them off. I had requested a weekend pickup time twice and we couldn’t agree on a time so he did the delivery on his way out of town.

5 Likes

Hahahahha! I don’t know how many times I’ve told myself the same thing but for $5 each for a two foot beach plum I could not resist. Sounds like you got an even better deal with a personal delivery. I paid $12 total including shipping of 2 beach plums. :+1:

1 Like

Beach plums are fine but the jelly that is made is quality and not quantity. I’ve considered removing them many times but I did leave a row or two of them.

9 Likes

I visited a wild beach plum that I have eaten fruit from in the past. It was located by the beach in a park. It’s gone. The grass around it was tall and I don’t like ticks so I didn’t examine the spot closely. Perhaps a maintenance person cut it down. Sad since it produced more fruit than others I have found. I’ll check the spot again in the winter.

2 Likes

Updated photos of my Beach plums as summer nears its end. They started out just a few inches high. They look pretty good after one summer. Probably will pot up and observe them another year in pots before giving them dirt space out at my property.

3 Likes

Clark is it safe to assume they grow similar to rabbiteye blueberry bushes in size and depth? 7 feet high max it seems. I may just add a row in my blueberry patch and give them a row.

2 Likes