Beauty Asian Plum

Beauty plum is over set this year. Lots of thinning today.

Tony

5 Likes

Tell us how they taste when you eat them.

1 Like

Matt, a must have Japanese plum. I would say it 5 times better than Shiro in taste and sweetness. It is up on top with Satsuma, and Emerald Beaut.

Tony

3 Likes

Wow,that’s great!This one is the most vigorous and fruit setting of all my grafts.Brady

1 Like

Brady,

I liked Beauty plum so much that four years ago I top worked both Shiro and Duarte plum to Beauty plum.

Tony

2 Likes

‘Beauty’ is a real winner here. Bring them in early and they are sweet, tart and firm. Let them hold a while and they become juice sacks of sweet plum wine. I try not to thin too much so that they stay on the small side. Smaller plums are much easier to eat in the super ripe stage.

2 Likes

My second year old Beauty set quite a lot of fruits for such a small tree. My apricots were frozen but Beauty plums survived and are doing well. I am glad that it tastes good too.

1 Like

Does it ripen close to Satsuma?

This definately sounds like a plum I’ll be looking for scionwood next year.

Tony,

On the thread Scott posted about his fruit set this year, his comment was that his Beauty plum was bland and rot withva fair amount.

Itilton in Chicago also took it out because of rot. That is a reason why I hesitate to plant this plum but I did graft one on Shiro this year. Bit looks like it took.

Maybe your NE weather is dryer. Or maybe you spray well for rot.

Mam,

No rot problems here in Omaha. My place is on a highland area and very open space on a golf course with good air flows and occasional days with some humidity.

Tony

Your climate sounds less humid. You also have plenty of space. Scott’s planted his trees quite closely, too.

The humid east is my concern about any fruit that can rot easily. I will find out in a few year.

Your Beauty is a beauty.

Tony and @Antmary,
When do your Beauty plums ripen, please?

My last year’s graft produces two plums this year. So far, the size is bigger than a Shiro’s. I hope they will hang on til they are fully ripe. Just want to have an idea when. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s why I like Methley - you can pop the whole fruit into your mouth

For what it’s worth, mine (in Northern California) ripened this very week. They will drop if you wait too long, usually to their detriment. Once they’re a uniform dark purple, soft to the touch, and fragrant, they’re fully ripe. If you want to pick them firmer, keep an eye on the color, as they ripe fast once it starts to change.

2 Likes

Mine ripen unevenly and overbear every year. I have one semi-espaliered against a south facing brick fireplace. Its vigorous, healthy and well producing.

It make great jam. I don’t care for the fresh fruit at all, but I’m not generally a fan of Japanese plums. Some friends and relatives rave about them, but I don’t get it. Maybe I’m missing some taste receptors or have an olfactory defect that makes me miss some of the flavor.

2 Likes

@mamuang,
My Beauties started to ripen about two weeks ago. Every day or every couple of days I go around the tree to collect the ripe ones. When ripe they become medium soft and easily pull off the branch. Overripe plums will fall off the tree easily. With all the hot weather that we get they still are not very sweet. They also crack after the rain a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks, @jerry, @murky and @Antmary,
So, the key is to watch for the color to change from pale green to purple?

Maria, it is puzzling that your zone 5 trees have fruit ripen way ahead of my zone 6. Just plain odd!!!

1 Like

It is a type of continental climate, when we get very cold in winter and very hot in summer without the influence of the big bodies of water. I do not mind though. I like long sunny summers.

1 Like

That makes sense. By the way, I went out to check. One of them has turned purple!! Just like you guys said it happens in a flash.

1 Like