Beauty Plum

Beauty Plum is a Luther Burbank selection. For my environment it provides what I would call “the best tasting Japanese plum”. Plus, because of its heritage it is a pollenizer for other Prunus hybrids in my orchard.

I really enjoy the “stealth factor” of fruit sets on plums. Just when you’re wondering if you have any fruit sets at all – wow, it looks like a whole lot of thinning needs to occur quickly! :smile:

6 Likes

That’s the first I heard it is a sport of Santa Rosa. I find that kind of difficult to believe, it is so different. Do you have a source for that info?

Tom Spellman.

I hope mine taste as good as yours,Richard.They are the most vigorous grafts on a tree of mine and produce a lot of fruit-lets. Brady

1 Like

I would think so. It’d be my choice in your location :rainbow:

Scott reports this does well in the Northeast. Much better than Santa Rosa. Weeping Santa Rosa also coming from Santa Rosa, does well in the Northeast too!

I’m growing Beauty plum for 3 years here. It is my most vigorous plum by far, even on Citation. But I pruned it hard last year in a succesful effort to graft Methley onto it, and to keep the two scions balanced. I also sent some wood to Ray. Beauty has also suffered from two straight years of vicious defoliation by japanese beetles. But it keeps plugging along. No fruit yet cuz of all the abuse it has received. Maybe this year. Or maybe not; late frosts this spring may have frozen out the buds. We’ll see…

1 Like

Humorously, Citation is the most vigorous root stock for my soils and climate.

I have Beauty plum in the second leaf. I am not sure how hardy it will be in Nebraska. I flowered this spring in very adverse weather and it managed to set several fruitlets, hope they survive for me to taste them. It is good to know that it is a good pollinator for the other plums.

Of Dave Wilson nursery? Wow, like in a conversation?

I like beauty because it has so much tartness and pigment that it, with the help of a boatload of sugar, cooks into a very colorful and flavorful syrup or jam.

Its also healthy, vigorous, early, and reliable for me but requires thinning.

1 Like

I first met him in the 90’s at a conference. I then became his customer when I opened a nursery in 2004. I ceased my nursery business in 2012 and now only occasionally see him at public events.

1 Like

Beauty and Methley are two of the Asian plums recommended for the Pacific Northwest by the Bullock Brothers of Orcas Island Permaculture reknown.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

Pruned from 14’ to 5’.

5 Likes

Check out these plums on the tree, plus a few more on the ground from recent storms. I picked four of them from the tree today – absolutely delicious :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Here’s my pruning and thinning from yesterday, topped at 5.5 feet.

4 Likes

I need to be much more ruthless when pruning

Maybe. It depends how vigorously your plants grow out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Richard: do you think you’ll get enough fruit on the wood that is left? Looks like you’ve taken out a lot. The tree looks beautiful.
Being new to this,I’m always worried about taking out wood with flower buds. I’m sure there’s always plenty left anyway.

@Susu – as you would guess it’s not my first time training a plum tree in this environment. It takes about 5-6 years here instead of the usual 10 years. Here’s what I’m aiming for:

13 Likes

Pruned today :slight_smile:

11 Likes