Best Strawberry Varieties?

Yes, we can grow strawberries just about year 'round here. In fact, we DO grow strawberries commercially here i Carlsbad. So, thought I’d give it a try. And try to keep them going for next year as well. We’ll see. Very late to the strawberry party, for sure, though.

1 Like

@hoosierquilt, strawbs are dead simple in our locale. We can even grow them as annuals.

1 Like

Yes, they can be, unless you’re right on the coast and get constant marine layer/moisture. They can then be prone to mildew and fungal stuff. Having a lot of marine layer right now, so was a little concerned about that. I’m going to try to mulch well with chopped up pine needles. And, in my raised bed, that should be a lot better for them, too.

1 Like

Up around Oxnard they frequently use black plastic sheeting as mulch. I would have fried berries if I did that. Might work for your area as well.

1 Like

that’s a good idea, Clint. I might use that actually, under the pine mulch. Got to get my watering squared away, though.

1 Like

I got a chuckle out of that because I thought most places could grow them as an annual, but not always as perennials.

In fact, annual planting is how our extension service says they should be grown here - plant in the fall; harvest in spring; dig up and dispose. Purchase new plugs in the fall. Repeat cycle.

1 Like

We just trim up what we have, we can clip the runners and new plantlets, and re-plant, Muddy. They grow as perennials here, with a little cleaning out of older plants now and then. If you can keep the slugs and snails out (they LOVE the fruit), and keep the mildew, fungus and wilt out, you’re golden here :slight_smile: Same with tomatoes - they are also really perennials that folks grow as annuals. Here is Calfornia, we can grow them as perennials as well.

1 Like

Patty, yes. That’s the way I’m familiar with just about everywhere. Where I am is the first place I’d ever seen the advice to just ‘give up’ after they fruit because fungus, bacteria, and a multitude ofdiseases were most likely going to do them in during the summer. I found that advice frustrating - especially since since it’s hard to find strawberry plugs in fall if you aren’t a commercial grower.

Slugs, snails, birds, pill bugs munch munch munch.

I planted dormant plants in spring and am growing them as perennials, anyway.
Sometimes, I’m better off ignoring the extension office.

1 Like

Yeah, growing them as annuals simply means harvesting the berries as they come and snipping the runners as they come the first season. Discarding the plants at the end of the season is optional. It’s the bonus plan if they survive and you can expand the bed the following year from runners.

Some strawb recommendations suggest snipping the berries and runners the first season to establish stronger plants for the following year. I’ve never done it that way.

1 Like

I find the plants much more productive the 2nd and 3rd years. I replace them usually after the 4th year.

1 Like

For strawberries MI is a world apart from LA. Different production systems are appropriate.

2 Likes

Hello,
Does anyone have Fairfax strawberry to sell/trade/give away? Thanks.

1 Like

Historically, one of the USDA GRIN stations (Corvallis, OR) would send a few runners for free to those who requested them. But I’m not sure if they still do, or whether their recent pear quarantine precludes this activity. It is still in their database but the accension is listed as “inactive.” You might check into it:

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1446451

Here’s my notes on Fairfax:

Fairfax of Maryland, 1923. Available FREE from USDA Corvallis! Heirloom variety. Regarded by many as one of the best-tasting for the East. Created by Mr. Darrow. Early-mid ripening “June Bearer.” Susceptible to viruses, red stele, and fasciation.

I’ve not dared grow Fairfax due to disease concerns. The more reliable “Sparkle” and “Earliglow” are descended from Fairfax and are both supposed to taste great. I plan to grow those two.

2 Likes

Thanks Matt. I read about its disease problem but thought it might be worth it and want to compare to Marshall, which is also another disease-prone cultivar. I didn’t know about Sparkle and Earliglow. I will look into it. Thanks again.

1 Like

Earliglow. June bearer. Available at Nourse. Descendant of Fairfax. Everyone says this is a great berry with a zippy sweet-tart flavor.

3 Likes

Sparkle of New Jersey (aka Paymaster), 1933. Historically available for free from USDA Corvallis. Child of Fairfax. Mid-late/late June bearer. Productive; flavorful; and resistant to one strain of red stele.

2 Likes

Yes, “Marshall” is supposed to be another one of the great antique strawberries.

1 Like

Well, it seems that the USDA Corvallis doesn’t offer free plants for home gardeners any more. Will find other sources, thanks Matt. I bought a few varieties from Nourse this year including Rutger Scarlet, will see how it performs in PNW.

1 Like

That’s too bad about the USDA strawbs.

The folks at Rutgers have been raving about that new one you got.

1 Like

One of the many vids on it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmSUwmfr2PE

2 Likes