Best tasting apples

It is a new variety so there is no info from growers (patent registered in 2016). It has been planted in big numbers in South Tyrol and from the beginning of next year also in Switzerland. The parentage looks great (both are my favorite apples) so I ordered a tree.
This is a translated description from the propagator (I skipped some parts to keep it short):

Origin: Institute of Experimental Botany of the Czech Republic, Strizovice (UEB I-406/1), crossing Topaz x Cripps Pink (Pink Lady®)
Growth: diploid, medium vigor, initially upright growth habit, spreading later
Flowering: Medium late
Ripening: about one week after Golden Delicious
Crop: early, high, regular, doesn’t suffer from biannual cropping
Keeping: shelf life until March (home conditions)
Fruit: Medium sized, spherical, homogeneous in size and shape, smooth skin, no russeting, 80-100% bright red, flesh is firm, crisp, juicy, good
Disease resistance: with Vf gene towards regular strains of scab, medium resistance to powder mildew

If you search for “Bonita apfel” you can find some additional information

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, Paul.

It seems we have similar tastes in apples. Pink Lady is one of my favorites and from what i could taste in my first Topaz, an apple that is a cross from both these gorgeous parents is definitively going into my wish list.

And they went for a name that means Beautiful in Portuguese:smile:

Amazing that patented in 2016 they are already selling it.

2 Likes

I see that Bravo de Esmolte apple is available in US through USDA database. I will try to order it from there. I wonder what other good European varieties you have that are not very well known in US, but still might be available?

Antmary,

There are several European varieties of very good quality. I just don’t know which one’s are well know in US or not.

I have seen quite a few of these listed by some members of the forum like these in Scott’s list.

http://scottfrasersmith.com/blurb/

I will try to post a few more names of a few that could be less well known.

Hey Matt I finally got to Distillery Lane. Here is a picture of a few bins

I picked up various apples, I had never heard of Snow Sweet which is why I took a picture of this crate. So far I tried one Pixie Crunch, it was OK but its not fully ripened/aged yet. It is clearly a different type of apple, very dense with an unusual flavor. I can see how it could be something special when properly ripened.

I talked to Rob about Blue Pearmain, he said that one and Fameuse are real rotters. I think that is why they are known as not good for further south. He doesn’t recommend growing either of them here; they taste great but you can lose all to rot.

3 Likes

Beautiful

1 Like

Mrs. G.,
Did you find a home you want in France?

Not to buy, but to rent. I found a lovely house. I will have to renovate two houses to make my one house! So I have a lot to do! Can grow all citrus, olives, pomegranates (don’t like them) apricots, peaches, pears apples and plums. You name it. They have more varieties of sweet euro plums that I have ever seen here. Some are orange! Mrs. G has returned. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Don’t forget to put in a guest room, hint, hint :grin:

1 Like

No prob!!!

Nice one, Scott!

Yeah. Fameuse is a Quebec apple.

Sorry I missed you. I could really go for some more of those Pixie Crunch.

I just got back from Catoctin Mountain Orchard of Thurmont. Here are this week’s goodies:

Maslin cultivar also known as “Early Pink Lady.”

Stayman Winesap.

I also got some Magness pears.

At a local park, on the way home, I grabbed some American persimmon from a known fruit-bearing tree.

6 Likes

Welcome back. Hope you enjoy your new home.

1 Like

One apple you don’t hear much about here in the US but is apparently popular in Europe is Elstar and its redder-colored sports (Valstar?). It has to rank up there on my list of apples to grow if I could find a scion source.

Which-ever strain of Elstar I’m getting at the farmers’ market ripens in early September before Honeycrisp and Sweet 16.

You said you’re looking for some Elstar scions, but I saw that Cummins has the tree on G41.

I planted one too. Never did well for me, we sold the place it was on and it got cut down. Tiny apples.

Strain of Elstar var.(Exellent Star)
a formidable piece of fruit very easy tree.

11 Likes

USDA has scions of this apple. I was thinking of ordering it, because it has very good review on Orange Pippin site.

And they were supposed to be large ones - in the store they were large

I’m running out of space for whole trees and I still have a few other “wants”, including another peach (much harder for me to graft), a Romance series cherry, and a pawpaw (which means two trees). Already I get dizzy from going in so many circles while mowing… :wink:

I might have to go to USDA as @Antmary suggests, because I don’t see anyone in the list of scion sources offering Elstar. I will check with Derek @ Hocking Hills.

I tasted some really excellent Freyberg at the Home Orchard Society’s All About Fruit show this past weekend. I took a couple home, if I remember, I’ll measure brix. Definitely going to graft this one next spring.

In past years it was unremarkable, I think our early spring, hot long growing season allowed these to present at their best this year. Very sugary, crisp with enough tartness to balance and distinct anise aftertaste.

2 Likes