Best tasting apples

That sounds like it could be a Macoun (https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/macoun), although the color of the flesh might not be a match. Black Oxford might be a possibility, but I’ve never had one and I don’t know what color the flesh is. Is Winesap a possibility?

1 Like

Thank you very much for these suggestions. I will try them if I can find them at farmer’s market or elsewhere. I am pretty sure it can’t be a Macoun or a Winesap (from pictures available online). They do look like Black Oxford. I would love to taste more varieties. I just ate my first “Opal” this week. Quite nice. Not my favorite “kind” of apple, but definetly better than Golden delicious/Sunrise/Honeycrisp. I liked it!

Well, I’m glad if they were helpful. There’s a whole bunch of apples that have a very dark coloration (even my precious Liberties can be very dark at times) and it intrigues me. I just find it very attractive. Not sure if it correlates with anything in particular. But Red Delicious can be black as coal and just about as good, while Winesaps and Liberties are amongst my very favorites, so maybe best not to rush to any conclusions just yet!

1 Like

LOL so true.

1 Like

English russet is No. 1, then American golden russet, Hudson golden gem and egremont russet. I’m a russet apple lover!

English russet in front VS American golden russet

2 Likes

6 Likes

American golden russet picked 3 weeks earlier, not ripe. English russet is at the peak of flavour .

1 Like

Truly a beautiful apple, lovely color. Nice pictures

Bigapple,
Whay is your opinion regarding the taste o E Golden russet vs A Golden russet.

I have heard that the English is more tart.

The nusery where I bought my Golden Rusett from says it is from English seedling. So I assume mine is E. Golden Russet.

There is no clear answer at all. My understanding is E russet same as E golden russet.
All descriptions regarding A golden russet state it is a seedling of E russet. I would think A golden russet is a seedling of Roxbury russet, given they look so close and both are tip bearer. E russet is spur type bearer, this is where I doubt the relation to A golden russet.

Thank you for your response.

I assume once my Golden Russet start producing, I’d find out if it’s American or English based on the type of bearer it will be, then. Well, I’ll keep myself in suspense.

There is a book published in 1893 when russet apples were widely planted. First hand description

1 Like

I bought my golden russet from Stark Bros and their photo looks like the English golden russet pictured above. However, their description states “Antique variety, originates from New York, circa 1845.” Typical Starks, I probably wont get any apples for another year or two so who knows what I’ll have.

Just finished eating an organic Autumn Glory apple. It’s a proprietary apple grown by Domex out of Washington and described as a fuji/golden delicious hybrid but doesn’t taste like either of them to me…the apple is on the small side and has a very crisp flesh that is slightly yellow in color. Seems like they’ll brown once cut, mine didn’t last long enough to find out…

Taste profile is supposed to run from applesauce or cider flavored with hints of cinnamon and caramel…to me it was more cidery and I definitely got a hint of the caramel…

Other than the crispness, not the best apple I’ve ever eaten, but others might enjoy the flavors more than I did…

7 Likes

Envy Apple

I know there was a thread out there about the Envy, it’s a cross between a Braeburn and Royal Gala, originated in New Zealand. Pretty sure it’s a club variety, but it is a good one none the less. I’d describe it as somewhat sweet, definitely no tartness to is and it doesn’t have any complex flavors. Flesh is white and doesn’t brown when cut.

Biting into one the first thing you notice is the crunch. The flesh comes away in huge chunks. It’s the kind of eating apple I really enjoy and devoured this one in less than minute…

2 Likes

I like Envy, too, and believe it’s a Club apple. Still, I like Opal more, another club apple.

That’s exactly te kind of information I like to read. Thank you. Very helpful for a beginner like me !!! :slight_smile:

Golden Russet, for me…I love golden russet and at least adore Macoun

1 Like

A thumb up for Envy in my house and another favorite is KIKU a sport of Fuji.

Tony

1 Like