Big box store arrivals

I put cardboard down to knock out the grass around it instead … normally I don’t, had it in my mind to do it that way for who knows why… Oh… I could get to the tall grass that was growing around it and didn’t want to put the fence up so… I shoved it there :smile:

I’ve talked to a few that believe the Juju will grow. We will see this spring if it comes out. I do have several seedling that I have as well.

I’m going to RK and TS today to see if they have any trees in. 15 minute drive :wink:

3 Likes

Walmart used to sell “Yellow, Red or Green” Apple Trees. I have a couple “Yellow” (Golden Delicious) Trees. I fear they are on a standard rootstock as the are getting huge. I’m sure big box trees account for the majority of the non-commercial fruit trees sold in the US.

1 Like

Reporting back

3 Likes

Thanks! That looks like what I saw at the TC we were at earlier this week. I was tempted to get a few of their berry plants (Boysenberry, Fall Gold, Hinnomaki Red) as well as a Jonathan tree. You’re not making it easier for me!!

$3 +/- at RK

1 Like

Same stuff I saw at Tractor supply also.

The fruit trees just came in as I was leaving. So I did an about face and bought some newly arrived trees. 3 peach and 2 pear for special scions I received.

3 Likes

Which store and what varieties? If at RK, I may have to make a road trip soon :grin:

TS and the peaches are Red Haven and pear is Kieffer. In a couple of months or soon they will be something else. Just older rootstock I wanted.

3 Likes

I had to stop by Home Depot the other day and it looked like they just got in their fruit trees. They had ~3 varieties of each type (Red Haven, Contender, and Reliant peaches for example), as well as some multi-grafts. Not something I plan to buy, but I can’t stop myself from looking. Actually, if I had a big open yard, I would probably get some of their plums and peaches and use them as grafting platforms. They are bigger than most anything you can get shipped to you. As it is, I only ordered 1 non-jujube this year and it was a very variety specific selection, so big boxes aren’t really a fit.

There were 2 other group, in addition to these 3.

7 Likes

Oh man that is classic!

1 Like

Home Depot didn’t have bare roots this year :sob:

The roots on the trees I purchased are pretty lame. Especially the pear.

Really? Didn’t want to hear that. Thanks for the report. Any pics, perchance??

The ones our HD got never sold. I watch the whole display just sit there, wake up, and ultimately die because they dried up.

I didn’t take any. The peaches will probably do ok. However, the pear probably has not much going for it.

Went to Lowe’s today…lots of apples and peaches. A few nectarines, blueberries, blackberries, and grapes (that won’t grow here). Several figs that were really nice size…I really wanted one. :flushed::joy::joy::joy:. Just had Brown Turkey, Celeste, Kadota. But nice big fig plants!

Was any of the Nectarines and Peaches suitable for your area?

Well, I have to admit that I didn’t look. Husband was waiting in the truck and I was supposed to be there just for cauliflower plants…do I need to say more? I did admit that I had a brief look at the trees… I do know that usually the peaches are pretty good for our area and a lot of peaches are grown commercially here. The apples would have been okay here. The only pear I saw was Kieffer and that would have been okay. Grapes don’t do well here because of Pierce Disease. There might have been some that would have been okay but I didn’t dwell on them for above reasons. Also I picked up a tag on a blackberry plant and it was tagged as a grape…:joy::joy::joy:

Went to Tractor Supply. Here is what they offered for Blueberry

This is in Texas. We grow rabbit-eyes.

This would be funny if it weren’t so ridiculous!

5 Likes