Black Currants 2017

I had those Titania like, but then i found two russian/ukrainian varieties and i never look back.
You never had so big, so fragrant and so sweet berries: Смородина черный бумер and Смородина Юбилейная Копаня

2 Likes

U propagate these? I’m sure some would be interested in trying them.

2 Likes

i would try,
but meanwhile try here: http://www.shop.zahradnictvolimbach.sk/en/currant-plants-for-sale

1 Like

Are either of these known/available in the US? The site appears to only ship within the EU.

Google translate yields the following from those names, which I don’t think I’ve seen offered before.

Blackcurrant black boomer and Smorodina Jubilee Digging

1 Like

i dont know if these can be found in US, im afraid. Maybe i should root some for you

1 Like

If you’re outside the US, there are probably import restrictions on plant material like that. Do you happen to have a better translation of the names? Google Translate isn’t always very good with names…

1 Like

It is a name, it cant be translated. It is rather transcripted, for example:
http://www.dmkert.hu/gyumolcsado_sovenyek/jubilejnaja_kopania_fekete_ribizli

1 Like

I remember my first black currant. I didn’t like it. Then the next year, I tried just one. I thought it was powerful and exotic. Now I eat lots of them. Maybe my tastes changed. It is a lot of work to pick, collect and make into jam so I just eat them in the garden. They never get into the house.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

same here. i like strong tart fruits. love rhubarb right off the plant too.

2 Likes

Sometimes I call rhubarb “Norwegian lime”. When you drink tequila, or whatever, raw rhubarb can take the place of the lime. We have also chopped it up thin and used its crunchiness as part of a casserole.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Well now that is the first thing I’ve heard that makes me want to try rhubarb. I love fresh black currants so now I’m wondering if I’d enjoy rhubarb. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

There’s got to be more ways to use rhubarb than the usual pie and dessert. I mean, we use lemon and vinegar to add sourness to so many foods. I’m thinking sweet and sour chicken, bbq sauce, couscous. Hmm, I need to plant rhubarb.

1 Like

check out rhubarb-central.com. plenty of great recipes there. i have 6 patches of 2 varieties ,that i share with friends and family as i have way too much for my uses. stuff grows like weeds up here. the canada red came up thru our last 6in. of snow last spring! a shovel full of compost in the fall or early spring is all they need to put out 3 crops in our short summers.

1 Like

they’re very easy to propagate by root cuttings. pm me in oct when they go dormant, and ill send you some. it actually invigorates the plant to take root sections . almost like a hard prune on a old apple tree. :wink:

1 Like

Well, since it will invigorate your plants… :grin:

2 Likes

Bob, I will finally pick my Ben Sareks this weekend, they are ready. It is a ritual in our house that my husband does the picking which he enjoys and I make the jam. It does take a whole day and sometimes two to turn all of the berries into jam, frozen sauce for Ice Cream and a second day to make homemade current gelato. All of it is so good. I noticed the other day they are turning from dark purple to pure black and I cannot wait!!

3 Likes

I like sweetened rhubarb soda using rhubarb juice.

4 Likes

@TheGrog I think that is right about the clay soil, probably combined with our heat (I’m in Arlington). Mine all survive and produced a reasonable yield, but they definitely look a bit rough mid-summer and just sort of stop growing and get a little yellow around the edges.

But, like I said, they do okay and produce fruit. The ones that are doing the best for me get about 4 hours of sun and nothing pats probably 1pm, so that helps them not overheat, and they are in rich amended soil with a good layer of wood mulch. Plus the neighbors downspouts are only about 10 feet away and wash down toward them so at times they are almost in a rain garden. I keep a couple gooseberries in a half shade rain garden (also no real afternoon sun), and they do a little better during the hottest part of the summer. I have 2 that are in more clay and don’t get as much moisture and they definitely suffer more in the heat.

So for us on the southern edge of where they might grow, I think part shade and good rich soil and making sure they get enough water really helps. I haven’t had any real problems with powdery mildew, so hopefully that continues.

Of the ones I grow, the Belaruskaja is by far my favorite to eat fresh. I also have Minaj Smyriou and Titania, with Minaj really growing strongly and being the heaviest producer, but not nearly as good for fresh eating. I think I’ll also add some Ben Sarek since I had some from a farmers market in NY and they were quite good and I like the fact that the plants are compact.

2 Likes

i think its more your summer heat than your clay. we have some of the heaviest rocky clay soil here and my black currants grow like crazy. i give them a little compost in the spring and mulch with sawdust . thats it.

2 Likes

Mrsg47, can I get your recipe for homemade current gelato? Wife has been wanting me to make something like that but it’s always nice to get a recommendation from someone.

1 Like