Black raspberry early start

I know most people don’t have much growing in cooler regions yet. This is an experiment with some black raspberries in the greenhouse I thought I’d share. These do grow wild here but not this early. It’s gone a bit cool so the blooms are taking their time to open. Outside in zone 5B they leaf out in May and flower in June
March 2
I noticed some leaf buds
April2
27271961288_ac9dc33c39_z
April 14
41409563322_c02bd3fa12_z
39643601110_ab89717526_z

9 Likes

my ohio treasures still under 2ft. of snow. got a few berries last year and were pretty good. was my 1st taste of a black raspberry. should have a good crop this year on new and last years canes. ohio treasure is primocane and florocane fruiting.

1 Like

Setting fruit before May! Maybe I should look into raspberries for warmer zones that flower more then once?

1 Like

ohio treasure is more cold hardy but sets both a early florocane and a early fall primocane crop similar in size to jewel. got mine from hartmanns but ive seen them in a few other nurseries also. only black raspberry I’ve found to be able to grow in my zone. we hit -30f quite a few times last winter with no cane dieoffs. i have 6 of them.

1 Like

Ripening begins

3 Likes

It looks like I’ll be harvesting black raspberries in May! First bunch will be ripe tomorrow

2 Likes

im jealous. my ohio treasures are just leafing out. going to have some honey berries in a few weeks. what cultivar are yours? from what I’ve read, black caps have the highest nutritional , antioxidant content of the cane fruit. just put in a cane of Royalty this spring. heard they’re a heavy producer.

@moose71, it’s just the wild one around here. I wish I knew the name, I think there’s only 2 or 3 varieties?

1 Like

no wild blacks around here. only reds.