Black Walnut named varieties

I went through the varieties listed. I have about as many walnut varieties than they have, but mine and theirs overlap at only 38%.

Bakers Ohio , Bedco #1 , Bowser , Cranz , Daniels, Davidson , Eldora , Emma K , Farrington , Football , Gst #1 , Gst #2 , Gst #3 , Gst #4 , Kwik Krop , Lane, Mcginnis , Neel #1, Ogden , Ozark King , Pounds #2 , Purdue #1 , Ridgeway , Rowher , S127 , S129 , S147 , Sauber #1, Sauber #2 , Schreiber , Snead , Sparrow , Surprise , Thomas , Thomas Myers , Tom Boy , Wilmoth,

Of the varieties they list, Rhower is often misspelled. I’ve seen it as Rohwer and as Rowher. The oldest records in NNGA yearly reports show it as Rohwer. Regardless of name, the nut they show ID’d as Rhower is not the same as the nuts produced by my trees.

They show Sauber #2 as a mis-identified Sparrow. The tree I have of Sauber #2 produces a different nut that is definitely not Sparrow.

There are two variants of Daniels floating around. I have both, one from Les Wilmoth and the other from Bill Lane. They don’t have either.

I have Ohio identified as Bakers Ohio because I was told there were two different walnuts with the name Ohio and Baker had the best.

I have Bowser and it appears to be the same as the nut photo of theirs. The problem with Bowser is that it is a wonderful walnut with excellent flavor and nice crackability… all 3 nuts per year that it produces. You can’t eat walnuts or sell walnuts if the tree does not produce walnuts.

Regardless of name, most of the walnuts I have don’t pass muster as nut producers in my climate. Farrington, Thomas, and Neel #1 are arguably the best overall producers. There are others that would be recommended further north. McGinnis and S127 for example do very well in the upper midwest from Nebraska across to Pennsylvania and dipping down as low as Kentucky.

Did anyone else notice that all of the varieties they have listed are shown as protogynous? There are definitely some errors as I can spot at least 5 varieties they have listed that are protandrous.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks for the additional context! One thing that stood out to me is on the page for Sparks 147, you can really see the pointed end that you described in one of your previous posts.

I wonder how much of that is site-specific. I recall another thread on here where someone (@Barkslip maybe?) pointed out some cultivars of pecans will behave differently in terms of protandry/gyny depending on if they were grown in the North or South.

1 Like

Also, I’ve been wondering: I often see some black walnut varieties described as being easy to crack and thin shelled. Are there any that are thin-shelled enough to work with a standard-issue nutcracker? Or is it just easy and thin-shelled as far as black walnuts go?

1 Like

Protandry/protogyny is temperture dependent meaning the number of hours below 45 degrees in winter changes bud break enough to flip some varieties from one to the other. However, I am certain several of the varieties in their list are actually protandrous in their climate. This gets back to an issue Bill Reid originated. Pecans produce catkins that are either long and slim (protogynous) or short and fat (protandrous). It is fairly consistent such that any pecan with long catkins can be stated to be protogynous. This was applied to walnuts as they are close relatives. Turns out that almost all walnut catkins are the same size. The result is that they categorized all their walnuts as protogynous. Either that, or someone built the document with the wrong information. Also, I have a document from Bill Reid that shows several varieties are protandrous.

1 Like

Jay,
I’d say it’s ‘B’… thin-shelled and easy to crack so far as BWs are concerned. But, compared to most ‘wild’-type BWs, they really are thin-shelled and easy to crack!
‘Clermont’ has the thinnest shell of any I’ve grown… so thin, in some areas, that de-husking using a hand-cranked corn sheller - or even rolling under your booted foot on a hard surface - can crack holes in the thinnest parts of the shell - but you still need a hard-shell nutcracker to do a good job on them. Master Cracker, Kenkel, Mr. Hickory, and others rated for BWs or hickories will work fine… but one ‘tough enough’ only for pecans, filberts, or ‘English’/Persian/Carpathian walnuts probably won’t be rugged enough even for most improved BWs.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s about what I thought, but I was hoping I was wrong! Thank you.

Has anyone compared the Master Cracker to the imported copy that a few stores sell? I’d rather get the original, but they’ve suspended orders while they work through a backlog.

If anyone lives near Lexington, KY the Lexington Arboretum hosts a grove of grafted and labeled black walnuts. They have Football #2 and some others. They also have heartnut, chestnut, pecan, hican and more. All labeled with metal tags.

3 Likes

I spoke with Gerald Gardner about the “Duke” crackers from China. He regularly received calls from people wanting replacement parts to fix theirs. He routinely told callers that he did not make it and did not sell parts to fix them. IMO, it is junk. I had the chance to use one iirc in 2005. It is nowhere near as well built as the nutcrackers Gerald made.

2 Likes

Ok, about what I expected, then. I suspect there’s some variation in quality between sellers (as in all such products made in China to various sellers’ spec), but good luck sorting that out. I’ll have to scope out some of the other “big names” or find a used model. Unfortunately, I don’t live in an area where black walnut gathering is a widespread part of the culture, so I’ll have a hard time finding a used one.

1 Like

I’m taking the plunge! Just ordered a Sparks 127 from Perfect Circle Farm in Vermont. I was on the fence about planting a juglone factory in my relatively small yard, but I just gotta have my own black walnut tree. The apples will either make it or they won’t, and it will be some time before that’s an issue anyway.

1 Like

S127 has a good chance of producing in your climate. If you have a chance, get McGinnis to go with it. McGinnis is a smaller nut but it is protandrous while S127 is protogynous. A few other varieties can produce in your region. Burns is another that has potential. I don’t know enough about Wiard, but it also is a possibility.

2 Likes

Good, I’m glad you think so. I selected that variety on an intersection of your variety recommendations above, the listed ripening times in the MO Extension document, and what Buzz had available. If Buzz can get it to fill in central Vermont, I should have no trouble here! Right now I have no plans for a second tree, as there are at least 7 wild black walnuts growing within 750’. I’d be surprised if pollination were an issue. Will they multi-graft well if pollination does seem to be an issue?

1 Like

Yes, you can multi-graft, but as with other nut trees, it can be difficult to keep the grafts growing at the same rate.

1 Like

Cliff England at www.nuttrees.net sells (or used to sell, not sure) an excellent, well made nut cracker I’ve used for many years that cracks the hardest nuts no problem.

1 Like

Yes, Cliff still sells the excellent Kenkel cracker with extra long handle for easy cracking.

1 Like

@jcguarneri you’ll have to get a Master Nutcracker or a Mr. Hickory, sometime.

Potter’s are good for something on eBay all the time but they cost a pretty decent penny. They were the cracker used for evaluation for nut groups for a long time (maybe still are?) to keep it consistent.

about The Duke, the Chinese Master Nutcracker version. It’s junk and the cups are not the same, or close to.

C.E. Potter’s currently on eBay:

The C.E. Potter is a marvelous nutcracker! It’s going to be damn near the same as a Master Nutcracker.

1 Like

Thanks, Dax. I’ve seen the CE Potter units, but I didn’t know anything about them and whether they were any good. There’s also a Hunt’s unit on eBay right now. It’s funny, I was looking at YouTube reviews today and found a few I’d seen back when I was in Kansas; turns out they were yours! You just about had me convinced to buy a Hunt’s. My budget was a lot lower back then, so I never did get a cracker.

I’ve used a Hunt cracker several times. They work very well if properly bench mounted.

Gerald Gardner had an original model that was a good cracker then he improved it with a hardened aluminum frame and a hardened handle with a heat shrink grip. For hand cracking, it works very well.

I picked up walnuts for a few hours today. Varieties harvested were Ridgeway, Thomas, Sauber #1 (from Bill Lane), s147, Hay Seedling (originally from Archie Sparks), Neel #1, Kwik Krop, Redneck, and Schreiber. Here are some variety notes.

Ridgeway - This tree produced a moderate crop of walnuts nearly as large as a softball. It has a very thick husk with a fairly large nut inside. Nuts have relatively low percent kernel. This tree IMO won’t make it commercially due to moderate production.

Thomas - This is consistently the most productive variety I have. I routinely pick up 6 or 7 buckets of walnuts per tree. It is relatively late to mature. About half the crop is still on the trees. I got 3 buckets today from 2 trees. Percent kernel is low in the 22 to 25 percent range. Thomas is lateral branching which basically means it produces many more terminals and therefore more female flowers to make nuts. Thomas is a very vigorous growing tree. Nuts are very well sealed and tend to drop clean from the husk - a very valuable trait. I grafted on southern rootstock which normally can keep up with anything grafted on top. One Thomas is over-growing the rootstock. Given a choice of varieties, Thomas would be my first and foremost choice for nut production. Seedlings tend to carry most of the parent traits with vigorous growth and often nuts comparable to the parent. The only weakness with Thomas is the slightly late maturity which limits where it can be grown. It originated in King of Prussia Pennsylvania about 140 years ago. Commercial potential is high.

I have two different trees identified as Sauber #1. The nuts I picked up today were grafted with scionwood from Bill Lane. These trees are very productive and tend to mature about a week earlier than Thomas. While this year was a heavy on year, these trees can have off years like most black walnuts.

I picked up 2 nuts from S147. This is a very “pear” shaped walnut with a thick woody spike from the nut up through the neck of the pear shape. Cracking is decent, but total nut production is low to moderate. A few more nuts will fall in about a week.

Neel #1 is a relatively good producer and cracks out excellent kernels if properly and promptly harvested. It matures about the same time as Thomas. I have 4 trees of which 2 produced nuts this year. About half the crop is still on the trees so I will have to make another visit to finish harvest. Neel #1 is arguably one of the three varieties that produce enough nuts with good enough quality to justify planting commercially.

Hay Seedling was originally ID’d as S129 by Fred Blankenship who sent me scionwood. I spoke with Fred a few years ago and he said some of the nuts had been evaluated in Nebraska and determined not to be S129. I have 5 or 6 trees. The nuts are large and crack easily. It tends to be an alternate bearer. IMO, production is not good enough to make it commercially.

Kwik Krop is a walnut that has been around a lot of years. It has been propagated under 2 or 3 names over the years. I won’t comment much other than to say it makes nice flavored walnuts that crack fairly easily, but it is not productive enough to make it commercially.

Schreiber is an older variety that is uniquely able to be propagated by greenwood buds. It makes a moderately large nut with a very rough texture to the husk. Cracking and kernel traits are decent. It does not produce enough nuts to make it commercially.

Redneck is a walnut that I found growing on the side of the road near Moulton AL about 32 years ago. I collected scionwood and grafted a few trees at my parent’s house. One tree survives with the others having been accidentally cut down when my brothers were cleaning up around the house. This walnut has the unique ability to produce up to 6 nuts per cluster. It is also the best walnut I have found for a rootstock. The original tree was growing in a red clay bank beside highway 157. It was thriving in very poor soil for walnuts. Seedlings grow rapidly and easily accept most grafts. The nuts are good flavored with golden brown pellicle but not above 20% kernel. This one is not good enough for commercial nut production, but it has excellent potential as rootstock.

McGinnis is a variety from Nebraska that produces an abundant crop of small but very good flavored “buttery” kernels. The major flaw with these trees is that they tend to be alternate bearing. I have 4 McGinnis trees which all produced an abundant crop last year with the ground literally covered with walnuts. They did not bear any nuts this year. This tree is arguably one of the best producers for northern states with very early maturity (1st of September here) and very high production. As stated, the only serious flaw is biennial production.

There are several more trees that produced a crop that is not yet on the ground. I will make another trip next weekend to harvest some more walnuts. Give me a few weeks to get nuts dried and I’ll see if I can make a video showing how each of these cracks.

I planted these trees between 1998 and 2002 and grafted them between 2000 and 2005. They are on 20 foot centers in a triangle planting pattern. This is much too close for nut producing trees. I thinned and removed about 1/4 of the trees 4 years ago. I need to remove at least 1/3 of the remaining trees now. The canopy in one area has completely closed which severely limits nut production. Two of the Neel #1 trees for example are in the closed canopy area and did not produce any walnuts this year.

4 Likes

Fusion, what would you say is ideal spacing?

Black walnuts are a lot like pecans in terms of production and space needed. The older the tree, the more space it needs to maintain production. Quincunx spacing of 45 feet will work for up to 40 years. I planted my walnuts with this in mind. Permanent trees are spaced 45 feet apart. When planted with between tree spacing of 20 feet in a triangle pattern, the large triangle is 60 feet on each side. Plant a permanent tree at the center of the triangle and that tree - combined with 2 trees at the base of the large triangle - will give spacing of 45 feet between trees. My trees need to be thinned now to the permanent trees spaced 45 feet apart. By the time they hit 40 to 50 years old, they will have to be thinned again. I will remove low producing trees at that time. Why did I plant them on 20’ spacing? Because it encourages vertical growth with straight trunks that will eventually be worth a good bit of money as timber.

One of the most egregious mistakes made with early selections of black walnut was to select for large nuts that crack easily. Why is this a mistake? Because the only metric that matters is how many pounds of usable kernel per acre it produces. This is why we have a few hundred black walnut varieties selected for pretty nuts and none selected for production. Of the varieties I have grafted, maybe 5 should be considered for commercial production.

Football II is a highly productive tree with flaws of alternate bearing, kernels not plump enough in the “on” year, and somewhat susceptible to anthracnose. McGinnis is highly productive but the nuts are small and it is a severe alternate bearer. Neel #1 is a very good producer of good quality nuts, but does not like to be crowded. Thomas is a very good producer of excellent nuts, but arguably is not productive enough to be profitable in commercial production. Farrington is another good producer of good nuts but does not like to be crowded. Cranz is another small nut with early maturity and good production that does not like to be crowded. S127 is a nice nut but production is moderate.

A walnut tree that produces less than 500 pounds of edible kernel per acre each year won’t make enough profit over time to pay production costs. Selection criteria used by nut growers over the years include crackability, pretty kernels, large kernels, percent kernel, etc. The important metric, the only one that really matters for commercial production, is how many pounds of usable kernel per acre the variety produces. This has not been a historic selection criteria for black walnut. We have walnuts that can hit 40% kernel though most are closer to 20%. We have some of the prettiest kernels with outstanding flavor. We don’t have any varieties that produce enough walnuts to be commercially profitable.

Pecan standards are fairly well established. A nut that is less than 50% kernel and takes more than 50 to make a pound of in-shell nuts won’t make it in the consumer market. About half of the pecans produced today are smaller than 50/lb. These are used as culinary nuts made into ice cream, snacks, etc. Pecan growers try to stay above 1000 pounds of pecans per acre. This is equivalent to 500 pounds of usable kernel/acre.

2 Likes