Blossum end rot on Bell peppers?

I think I am getting blossom end rot on some BP’s. Is this common? I am growing these in my greenhouse. They are in large pots and are growing inside tomato cages. Anyway a small percentage are getting lessions on the bottom area of the peppers and I don’t think it is caused by sun damage as it is under shade covered polycarbonate roofing. Are these like tomatoes and just get some of this and eventually outgrow it or is there something in particular I should do? Don’t get me wrong I am still getting some really great bell’s but I am losing some to this as well. The variety is sprinter from Johnny’s and it sure is vigorous and productive so far! Thanks for any tips.

Drew

1 Like

Are these in a soiless mix? And if so are you providing a Chelated Calcium supplement?

2 Likes

When tomatoes do this it’s generally a calcium issue, and peppers are close relatives.

1 Like

Peppers some times have blossom end rot. In my garden they get it due to insufficient watering when they are grown in the ground. Some varieties are worse than the others. Your peppers being in the pots might have the real calcium deficiency.

2 Likes

Recently listening to Don Shorr on his garden show out of Davis CA (podcast) quoted some studies that indicate calcium has nothing to do with it The study concluded that the reason was not determined. I myself think the studies are correct. It’s more an issue with under and also over watering. And yeah peppers can get it too.
Don Shorr is the biggest plant geek I know, He can name every genius and species, and also spell and pronounce correctly. He found the studies using Google Scholar search engine.

1 Like

But I believe he’s talking about field grown, not greenhouse grown in soiless mix?

1 Like

I have to look at the studies, not sure? If I have time I will try and find them.

1 Like

I grow tomatoes in pots and Earthboxes. I have for 7 or 8 years. This year was the first year I haven’t had any blossom end rot, and the only thing I can think is different is that I haven’t been gone at all this summer more than a day.

Consequently, my tomatoes get water whenever they need it. Before they might start to wilt a bit over a long weekend of being gone. I have also heard that wet-dry cycles are a big cause of end rot.

1 Like

Items 5 and 8 might be helpful:

1 Like

Do you use regular commercial soil mixes or a soiless mix?

1 Like

I use soil-less mixes, I think. This year and last it was Sta-Green potting mix from Lowes. It is a mixture of peat moss, perlite, wood chips (?), and maybe compost. It also is finer (probably cheaply made) than ProMix I’ve bought in the past.

2 Likes

Yes sir in Berger number 7 potting mix. No I am not using this. Is there a particular product you recommend? Thank you.

DD

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re using a regular tomato/vegetable fertilizer? Because water-soluble fertilizers for soiless greenhouse applications typically contain Calcium.

At this stage you could supplement with a foliar spray containing 1/4 teaspoon of Calcium Nitrate per gallon of water. If that’s difficult for you to obtain, then try a consumer product such as Grow More “Maxi-Cal”.

Thank you sir!

DD