Blueberry Orchard today

I can look at blueberry bushes all day long.

They are the great native American fruit. There is something almost mystical about them to me. I love these plants.

10 Likes

Yes they do seem to ask very little from the grower to thrive. I can only imagine how well they’d do if I gave them the same care that my trees receive

2 Likes

I agree with you @Matt_in_Maryland.
I found a patch of wild blues in northern mich last year can’t wait to get back up and eat more of them.

3 Likes

we have lots of wild low bush blueberries around here. we used to pick buckets full as a kid. i still go and pick a bowl once and awhile. can beat the taste of the wilds. i just planted 4 brunswick low bush and a razz blueberry in the middle of a 4’ by 4’ raised bed, with the lowbush surrounding it. got 2 bog blueberry coming in soon. will plant them with my north blue and north sky. still looking for bilberry plants. haven’t been lucky sprouting the seeds.

Northblue shows real promise here. So does Reka.

1 Like

3 Likes

Blueberry orchard today: is under water (blueberry orchard of 2 plants). We had a lot of rain yesterday and one area of the yard is still under visible amount of water (less than one inch though). I went for a walk and noticed that blueberries and raspberries are both sitting in water. Hopefully they will survive that.

1 Like

Where did you get your cottonseed meal? I’m up to 15 bushes and would love to pick up a 40lb bag of this stuff.

Local Co-op has it 50 lb bag. Cheap–$12.99

Local Co-op has it 50 lb bag. Cheap–$12.99

Cottonseed meal is an excellent source of Nitrogen for those who prefer plant meal fertilizer. If you are also trying to avoid GMO products, keep in mind that 100% of commercial US cotton are GMO.

2 Likes

My rabbiteyes here in midwestern TN are just amazing producers. Climax and Premier to be exact.

13 Likes

I’m still have a couple of weeks before my blueberry season starts. A good crop this year too. I love that these plants can go on for decades. native too.

3 Likes

Many of my blueberries were ripe June 16. June 23 the Sunshine Blue were ripening good…but many green and smaller ones yet to go, as that variety spreads out the wealth for several weeks.
Have Brightwell…one plant. Has a few that aren’t ripe. I can’t recall if I have another Rabbiteye.

2 Likes

Blueberry orchard maintenance day. Cleared the last remaining SHB out and replaced old SHB plot area with 8 mixed variety Rabbiteyes. Ochlloccknee, Titan, Vernon and Powderblue. They should compliment my Climax and Premier (8 total) nicely.

8 Likes

Looks nice, cool you can put them in the ground. I have to use containers or raised beds.
At my cottage I’m going to put two more in. Hard conditions there. Raised bed of course. Which works very well, not like they have that big of a root system. Very shallow. It is big, just shallow. Last time I posted in this thread my season was about to start, now it’s way over. It was a very good year.

2 Likes

Great news on your terrific year Drew! My blueberry orchard is my favorite. My stone fruits stress me the f out. The rabbiteyes produce like crazy for me. Every single year. So with some patience I now know what works and grows best for my environment. Look forward to a nice 2020!!

1 Like

Me too, berries are more fun. I also like my black currants and raspberries a lot. Although I still like my stone fruit. No plans to give it up. Adding some jujubes this year too, besides a couple of new blueberries. Jujubes are no spray, low maintenance trees which sound good about now!

2 Likes

Yes!! I have four jujubes now and I love them!! Honey jar is my favorite. Also have a Li and a sugar cane.

Last winter maintenance step I do for my blueberries is below. A lot of pine needles!!!

5 Likes

Nice! I buy pine bark mulch for my blueberries. I do collect needles but mostly use those for mulch on all container plants.

2 Likes