Boreal Blizzard, Beauty & Beast - Who is selling them this year?

Other than HBUSA, anyone know of any other source of the Boreal line of haskaps from USASK? Trying to decide if I just want order one of each the expensive way, or wait and try to split an order with someone out of Canada next Spring. I should wait, but I’m impatient.

1 Like

ppsfruittrees.com

1 Like

I bought mine from HBUSA. They are very vigorous plants, a great improvement over the earlier kinds. I had a poor experience ordering from Canada several years back. I’m not sure that place is even still in business now.

1 Like

i got mine from HBUSA and Hattmanns. HBUSA plants were bigger and established quicker. someone on here recommended the canadian source i posted if you wanted to buy in bulk.

1 Like

The Canadian company (I think it was PPS?) that I ordered from wasn’t shipping anymore and refunded my order. I had some tiny cherries come from HBUSA when I ordered last year so was a bit hesitant to try them again (although they were super nice people) but if you all had nice haskap plants, I’ll just go there. Thanks!

I would like to get these, but I’m cheap, anybody want to trade hardwood cuttings in the fall, let me know. I have Aurora, Indigo Treat, Solo, Maxi, Unnamed Thompson cultivar (Solo and Maxi are Thompson cultivars, this one is different, very late flowering). Honey Gin, and Blue Banana. these latter two are in the Sweet Plus. Both rather small, so cuttings will be meager.

1 Like

I also didn’t want to spend the money, but my impatientness and the fact that I lost a couple over the winter and had a hole in my row encouraged me to bite the bullet and order them.

@Drew51 did Honey Gin end up being super sweet? What are your thoughts on Blue Banana? I don’t have those two, and couldn’t find if you had posted about their flavor anywhere. Anyone have Strawberry Sensation? That was another one I was curious about the performance of.

Mine are all 1yr olds, but I have Aurora, Borealis, Blue Hoikkado, Blue Sea, Blue Pagoda, Eisbar, Honey Bee, Honey Bunch, Indigo Gem, Indigo Treat, Maxie, Solo, Sugar Mountain Blue, Sugar Pie and Tundra. I lost one of the Maxine Thompson ones over the winter, I think it was one of the super short ones, but I haven’t looked up which one on my plant map it was. I thought about trying some from Berries Unlimited… but then decided to just go with what I really wanted in the first place, the Boreal line (should be here next week :slight_smile: )

the 3 cherries i ordered from HBUSA were all 3ft plants. and the aurora i got from them last yr. was a 12in multi stemmed plant.

I got a Lutowka last year that was literally an 8" twig with one shoot, and the Juliet and CP weren’t much bigger, but had 1 or 2 shoots each. The Juliet and Lutowka lived but were very puny. CP bit the dust this winter I think (I know CP is finicky). In their defense I had a terribly wet year last year, and I lost a Romeo from Spring Hill (huge 3’ multi-stemmed plant) in the same area but the size I had received from them was a bit disappointing. I’m glad you had a better experience, must have just been what I ordered and when I ordered it. I’m willing to try again, they were very nice people when I had a few questions.

I’ve looked at this site before but have never seen a way to order these. Do you know how it works? Do you just have to call them?

I don’t know yet? It may have a few berries on it this year. It was a small tissue culture plug last year. It has grown to about 10 inches now. BB is 6 inches. One of the smallest plants I ever had that survived in ground during winter. Tough cookie! It was a 2 inch stem, one of them, it had a couple others 1/2 inch big, yet it made it! My others are 3rd leaf I think? And have a decent amount of fruit.

1 Like

Yes. Look what is on the wholesale list, they will sell you those, one of them, if you call. I ordered only 2 plants. If you want more we can trade, down the road. Get the others. Honey Delight and Honey Joy. If you have Japanese another is Giant’s Heart (not Happy Giant). Blue Drops might be a winner too!

https://www.berriesunlimited.com/HoneyBerry_History/info_18.html

1 Like

I got 72 plants from prairie tech propagation in canada. Min order is $500 and shipping isnt cheap but it still figured out to less than half of what hbusa was charging. They are probably still shipping if you need more than just a couple plants. I got aurora, beauty, beast and blizzard, plus a few black currents.

1 Like

Were you happy with your Prairie Tech plants @TheDerek?

Yes they are nice. Some even have berries on them. All are healthy and r doing well.

1 Like

Hi Amy - I’m sure you could just call and ask them about the sizes. I wonder if the size might have to do with how recently the variety was received by them. I got both Blizzard and Beauty when first available and received tiny plants. Aurora and Indigo were older releases and larger plants. My CarmJewell, Evans and Juliet also decent sizes, as was stated on their website. All healthy and grew well. Too bad they couldn’t do anything about the massive mouse-vole population we had this winter. Now I have to wait for Aurora and Indigo to regrow before i get to taste them. Sue

1 Like

sue. i take 12in sections of 3in pvc pipe. duct tape closed 1 end and put a chunk of block bait rodentcide by tomcat in each one. put a bunch of them out before the snow flies or when the ground freezes around my plants/ trees. we had a lot of voles but i killed them off using this method. i don’t put anything out in summer as i don’t want a animal to eat a poisoned vole.

2 Likes

I did the same last winter. I drilled holes through PVC pipe and the rodent blocks I got had holes in them so I used copper wire from a 10ga electrical wire to hold the bait in the middle of the tube. Its large enough for rabbits and smaller animals to get to, but too big for my dog to get his head in there. Worked a charm, no vole trails or damage this spring at all!

2 Likes

I’d rather simply put hardware cloth around plants. I just forgot to do the haskaps. We have a good number of wild predators helping out - owls, hawks, weasels, fox, coyote, wolf - in addition to our domestic cat. So no poisons here. The numbers rise and fall but it evens out. Sue

i also have a lot of those predators but under the snow the voles are protected and invade in droves! the poison evens the score! i also do the hardware cloth as well.

1 Like