Bug ID Please

k8payaso, your insect is one of the Wheel Bugs, the top image shows the spiky wheel atop the thorax; the iridescense is not an identifying feature in this case. They are considered beneficial.

seedy, cicadas are very firm-bodied and stiff-winged and do not succumb easily.

3 Likes

I have those wheel bugs and they look like they could do some damage to bad bugs! Mine are always hunting.

We have extremely scary-looking cicada killer wasps here that take out live cicadas. Those things are enormous!

1 Like

Thanks! Kinda reminded me of a triceratops but I can see the “wheel”. I wondered if it might be a bug predator. He seemed to be on the look out but not chomping any leaves. Unusual.

Katy

1 Like

Also,their bite can be painful. Be careful. Brady

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up… that’s him/her in the pic alright. I’ve never seen one before.

Katy

Can anyone help me identify this bug that I found on my pear trees! This is the third of the same kind, I think is a stinky bug but not 100%. Thanks

HI Ruben,
If you want to ask for advice/attention for a specific forum member, you do it by using this symbol @ + his/her handle name.

In this case, I’ll ask Larry for his opinion.
@LarryGene

1 Like

Thanks @mamuang

1 Like

Helmeted Squash Bug or similar species. I will investigate further.

Upon further study, too many look-alikes to be sure. The images above are not the best angles for ID. Your insects are certainly in the leaf-footed bug family, all are plant eaters, so not considered beneficial.

2 Likes

I’m failing to Google an answer (or find one here). I also didn’t have my phone or a camera with me… Bottom side of apple tree limbs, a “tuft” of white “cottony” bugs or bug eggs or something… The trees are reacting, a “knot” of woody material wherever they are. Multiple trees, multiple instances of them, Probably something common that I’m just not yet familiar with. What might it be?

Thanks.

Woolly apple aphids?

Since you used the word “cottony”, compare to Cottony Cushion Bugs.

If I didn’t squish them all I’ll try get a pic. If Wooly Apple Aphids cause a “growth” on the bark then perhaps that’s what they are. Pics are similar at least… Thanks.

Do they cause growths on limbs like this? I couldn’t find any to photograph with much of the white “cottony” stuff present. I had “squished” them already…

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes , they do.

K… Is squishing and wiping away anything on the exterior good enough? That “growth” isn’t full of eggs is it? Does it need to be cut off?

Thanks.

Is this a spider?

2 Likes

Sun spider of some kind. I have seen camel spiders with those extra appendages.

1 Like

Green Lynx spider: Peucetia viridans - Wikipedia.

1 Like

That is a bad@ssed-looking spider! Wonder what function the spines serve?